Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK American Military Dominance In One Staggering Chart

This is why we can't have nice things

jerry99 8 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I don't think most people realize just how much of this country's wealth is siphoned off by war profiteers, because most of our "defense" budget is really a cover for looting the treasury with accommodating politicians being generously paid-off in the process. A fraction of that would for health care and a lot of other things we badly need.

Yes and our shitferbrains president boasts about increasing military spending. When will this nightmare end?

Eisenhower warned us about the military industrial complex, it's so powerful now that reductions in the it consumes is the best we can hope for even if the Democrats take the Senate and Presidency.

Military "dominance" cannot be measured by money spent. Keep in mind the Americans pay $500 for potty seats, $8,000 for Allen wrenches, and an average of $7,500 per DAY, per person, to keep troops abroad. The U.S. military has a tremendous capacity to generate violence. But that is mostly of the thermonuclear variety. The U.S. Army, and Marine Corps can only field about 60% of the ground combat troops they had in South Vietnam, at the height of the Vietnam War. They are ridiculously expensive in upkeep, and small in the number of ground combat troops they can actually field. That would put them at a serious disadvantage in a real-war scenario with China, or the Russian Federation.

$7,500 per DAY, per person? Huh? $2.7M/year per person???
I understand the idea of exaggerating for effect, but really???

@jerry99 Actually, I was citing a figure from about 2005. It's probably much more now!

No, your numbers are way, way off.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:302993
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.