Agnostic.com

13 2

What is Love?

I threw this question out on another post as an example of something I might ask. Then I thought, that's actually an interesting question and I wanted to see what others thought. Is Love purely glandular (the result of chemical excretion activating a programmed need to procreate and better increase the odds of individual and/or species survival)? And if it is, do you care?

To me, I don't care HOW it comes to being inside of my head, it's a real thing. A rock is made up of mostly empty space and yet it's real enough when I hit you in the forehead with it, so the science of atoms and sub atomic particles can take a back seat to the very immediate sensation that it makes moments after impact.

So, doubters and unbelievers, sound off. What do you think?

DobbinPitch 6 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's trusting someone with all of your feelings and perceptions, everything they could potentially use to hurt you.

Are you the result of chemical excretion activating a programmed need to procreate and better increase the odds of an individual or species? Both questions may have a similar answer..

Love is an emotional dependance. One which, if denied, would hurt you massively. If you love someone, and they are suddenly and permanently removed from your life, you would find the experience massively traumatic. You would go through a period of intense grief.

That's love for close family members and close friends. Romantic love has other aspects to it, but ultimately with someone who would produce the same sense of loss if they stopped being part of your life.

What is love?

Its a song by Howard Jones from the 1980's 😛

Great song! I loved Howard Jones!

Love is love

Lol, dude. That's a copout. That's like saying mac-and-cheese is mac-and-cheese, or a stank-ass sock is a stank-ass sock. What is it MADE of? Where does it originate? What is it to you? What you gave me is the same answer people use to answer the same question about God. God is God. Tells me nothing lol

@DobbinPitch lol

Love is tofu and I can prove it.

Tofu is nothing. It is only a vehicle for transporting borrowed flavors to your mouth. You know nothing, John Snow!

@DobbinPitch Love is a vehicle for transporting borrowed flavors to you

It is, apparently, Jon not John (!)

@CallMeDave Damn... got me on Jon. You're right, of course. And I've even read the books. I hang my head in shame lol

Baby don't hurt me!!

Was just going to say that!

I believe in love more than most earthly things. #allyouneedislove

Funny you should ask this question, since I started reading Fromm last night. Perhaps he holds some insights:

Short answer is I do not know. However, this does not stop me from having an opinion. I would suggest that it is a state of mind rather than an emotion. Think of someone you consider yourself to love, then think of a time, that this person made you angry. Whilst the emotion you were experiencing at the time was a negative one, you still love this person, and you loved that person at the same time you were angry with them. The best way to explain love is to adopt the following thought experiment.

Imagine someone that you consider yourself to be impartial to (you like them, but you don't love them), and then imagine being told that this person has passed away

Now do the same experiment again but this time with someone you do consider yourself to love. Notice the difference about how much worse it felt when the person you love was no longer going to be around. This is evidence for love, and a good way to identify it.

You can also do the experiment with a positive spin. Imagine someone you like (but don't love) had acheived something in their lives which made them extremely happy

Now imagine someone that you love acheived something in their lives which made them really happy. Again, notice how much happier you were when you thought about this happening to someone that you love

A pretty dreadful song by Haddaway as I recall

I don't know

Jnei Level 8 Feb 28, 2018

Just posted the same comment, it's pretty dreadful....at least not my cup of darjeeling

@ipdg77 The title of the post immediately started off an earworm, so I shared the link because I didn't see why I should be the only one to suffer.

@Jnei And suffer we did lol

@TjallTjallOUTLK As I've always said - great voice, but crap songs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30304
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.