Agnostic.com

13 5

Is Billy Graham being on display at the Capitol Rotunda a separation of church and state issue?

I can't help but to think that tax payer dollars are at work in bestowing this honor on him, which in effect validates or at least designates some level of importance to the (religious) message he preached...What do you think?

KingofHarts 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is a slap in the face to every person in this country...we would not be surrounded by greedy assays like Joel Osteen if Graham hadn't gotten so good at political maneuvering of our politicians!

Joel = gos's used car salesman.

I'm not sure how much of an issue it is, but it's a clear endorsement on the part of those in charge, that says, "Fuck you Separatists, we'll do what we want to do." IMHO.

I agree. It is not right that tax dollars are being spent on this. He should not be displayed in a place owned by the public. He politicized religion and is responsible for today's Evangelicals who have a warped view of history and do not understand that our founders wanted a solid wall of separation between Church and State. And, yes, this shows a preference not only for Christianity-- but HIS BRAND of Christianity.

Fuck YES it's a definite violation! It's also a monumental waste of taxpayer dollars to have this little dog and pony show. This kind of thing is exactly why we need Separation.
It's also another reason why Pence cannot be permitted to remain in office. He needs to go before 45.

So passionate! (I'm glad it isn't directed at me 😛 )

Meh, I don't know about Pence going before 45. Maybe along WITH him. But practically speaking, the disgrace of a successful impeachment of 45 will go a long way toward neutering Pence and the rest of the now-craven GOP (God's Own Party).

Voting those two out of office in 2020 is probably the easiest way and about as fast, but I'd like to see both an impeachment AND a decisive defeat. It would send a message.

@mordant I really hope we don't have to wait until 2020. The damage already done will take generations to repair.

@KKGator Sadly I think it likely. I follow @SethAbramson on Twitter, which if you want to get into detail is a great source of knowledgeable analysis on the Mueller investigation. Based on what I've read there and elsewhere, all signs point to Mueller's final report coming late 2018 at the earliest, sometime next year quite possibly, and then Congress has to act, which is questionable unless we gain control of at least the house in this year's off-year election. Best case scenario, we sweep the mid-terms, Mueller's report comes right around then, and we get right down to business, but an impeachment resolution and the ensuing Senate trial can take a long time in its own right, and remember, the GOP may still hold the senate after the mid-terms. And the odds that Trump would resign to avoid impeachment are to my mind, negligible.

Of course popular opinion could finally turn against Trump if his parade of stupid continues, but if people have been largely unmoved by his perfidy up to now, I hate to think what it would take to wake them up. Millions dead on the Korean Peninsula perhaps? But that's safely on the other side of the planet, happening to Those Other People. I just don't know about my fellow man anymore ...

Sorry to not be optimistic about this but just not feeling it.

@mordant Don't be sorry for your lack of optimism. The time frame is probably correct. I'm just so sick of this fucking circus, I want it to end as soon as possible.

Absolutely a violation. But it does unmask the unofficial religion of America.

Absolutely. The FFRF thinks so too!

[ffrf.org]

Thanks for the link. That was good. Man, that is such a great honor that has been bestowed on so few. I am just baffled that he makes the short list on the merits of proselytization...

Yes it is.
But given the con man we now have in the white house, would you expect not to have a con man shyster lie in state in the capital?

My comment is, "Thank god and greyhound you are gone".

I think President "moron" is a little harsh, I prefer something more subtle, like President "shit for brains" Lol

Exactly. It should never have happened. Blatant disregard to Separation of church and STATE.

Its a load of fucking bullshit. if you went and put a relative on display who died you'd be locked up.

He represents the current Political Religious mindset!! It makes me mad and sad all at once! The present administration is determined to try and force religion onto the AMERICAN people, just like a lot of other things they are attempting to force upon us. I want be there and i want applaud Graham, at all!

45 owes the Southern Baptist and Christian Coalition BIGLY for getting him appointed. He lost by 3 million+ on the Voter side but the system pushed the issue and we have Putin who did the math which is going to Vladdy's biggest threat to every country in the world. 45 will also make a place for him sit if he wants, but what he achieved is going to go into history as the most shaming episode in American Presidential Elections.

Is it Billy Graham's vocation that is problematic, or is it something else? After all, another Baptist minister, the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been 89 this year, and had he lived to a full age, would we question a decision to honor him in this way?

I would not question Dr. King being honored this way. That is on the merits of his contribution in the area of civil rights, not on his being affiliated with any religion. Billy Graham was in the business of proselytizing. He preached that there is only one way to god, a turn to Jesus or go to hell message (meaning that any other belief system an American could possibly subscribe to besides his leads to eternal damnation). He promoted the Bible as infallible and inerrant, thus endorsing its stance toward women, homosexuals, etc. The list of people that received this honor is a short one, consisting mostly of former presidents. Why not question an evangelist that promoted such a message over the years receiving this honor?

@KingofHarts You've made my point, thank you. I asked the question rhetorically to prompt your observation that it is not Graham's chosen vocation, but what he did in his life that makes people squeamish.

No. Putting a respected friend on display after death is what they do. His/ her vocation doesn't matter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.