Agnostic.com

8 12

Christmas Cactus blooming for five months

At age 17, I started this Christmas Cactus from two cuttings in Michigan. A "Thanksgiving" type Christmas Cactus, it blooms from October to April.

Buds form on the side of the plant facing the window. Last night, I turned the plant around and it has 76 new flower-buds.

At my daughter's request, I grew cuttings in Spring 2017 to give identical plants to Claire and a friend. Their new plants are blooming, too.

Colorful flowers are a joy when it's snowy and cold outside.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That’s amazing. What do you use for fertilizer?

@Santanaman9

Fertilizing

I fertilize twice/year in April and June with half-strength Miracle Grow fertilizer. In April, I also sprinkle a little Osmocote slow-release plant food that feeds for 4 months (for vegetables and bedding plants.)

When flower-buds appear, I water to plump up the buds. Spray a mist of water held high over the plant. Increased humidity keeps buds from dropping off. Also the plant sits in a large plant saucer, with an overturned smaller sauce inside it. The saucer catches overflow when watering.

Plants die if they dry out completely in the center. So, I put ice cubes on top of the soil once/month. As ice cubes melt, water trickles down into the heart.

A few years ago, my Christmas Cactus looked like it was dying. So, I lifted the giant plant in its pot and set it in the tub. Ran tepid water until it reached over the top of the pot. At first the plant bubbled like crazy, releasing air. Soaked it for five hours. Then I drained the tub, letting the plant drain overnight.

Soaked, the heavy plant and clay pot weighed a ton. The hardest part was dead-lifting it out of the tub. Staggered to the living room and lifted the heavy pot onto the stand. Hurt my back.

To get it to bloom

Withhold water for three weeks in September. Christmas Cactus are epiphytes that grow high in the rainforest under the canopy in South America.

"When you stop watering, the plant thinks it's dying. It throws out flowers to make seeds, to propagate the species," Pam, a botanist, told me. With a bullwhip, Pam collect epiphytes high in the rainforest of South America.

When the branches grow too long, I give it a haircut.

@LiterateHiker Thank you so much for such a thorough reply. I appreciate you.

@Santanaman9

You're welcome.

@Santanaman9

Succulents like tight feet. I haven't repotted it in over 20 years.

Lovely, I have one of those, although a very small one. I grow it on my front step. It doesn't get that cold here.

Your cactusplant's look nice. cactus are cool, I have some different cactusvarieties growing in my window, I need to get one of those outdoor plant houses for them,so they can get more sun.

@ml58n2

Christmas cactus are succulents. They store water in their leaves.

The first picture looks exactly like the one in our living room. Really weird, the blooms are the same size. You counted 76 new buds? We have to get you a boyfriend.

Mine does this, too. I got it as a start from a friend who had one that likewise bloomed shamelessly.This year's first blooms were in early November. Still blooming away in March. Cool temperatures are the trigger, so proximity to the window is likely a contributing factor for mine.

Zster Level 8 Mar 6, 2019

That is where I have mine.

Beautiful. Mine is struggling but still alive after almost dying and recovering. It has three flowers right now.

That is BEAUTIFUL πŸ™‚

Mine is still blooming too but not as beautifully.

You apparently have a green thumb. πŸ™‚
Mine is brown. 😟

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:304966
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.