Agnostic.com

5 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So many choices to escape too when the time comes.

Entirely possible but I find it hard to believe that an object that large has been missed. Still waiting for more detail. I would think that there are already Hubble and other telescope images in which they could look.

It's a question of spotting it so far out there in such a vast area. We've found exoplanets much further away because of the dampening of the light from their sun when they eclipse it, but there's no such benefit in finding a planet out on the edge of our own solar system.

I vaguely remember reading an article some years back where an Astronomer suggested that this mysterious 'planet 9' could be either, a) a 'dark planet' due to I) its orbit is so far distant from the sun that any reflected light is lost BEFORE it reaches Earth, ii) it is made up of materials that are completely non-reflective, OR, b) that is a 'dark star, the burned out cinder of a much smaller solar body that 'failed' to make the grade, so to speak, as our own sun did and merely shrunk to a body the size of Mercury. Mars or Venus for example and its orbit is not synchronous with those of the other 8 known planets.

Being very far from the Sun should do it. [en.wikipedia.org] has some numbers for absolute magnitudes of the planets, and one can use them to estimate how bright such a planet would be. A good reference case is Uranus and Neptune, at about -7. At 100 AU, its apparent magnitude would be -7 + 5log10(100100) = +13. Likewise, at 320 AU, it would be +18, and at 1000 AU, +23 -- very difficult to see.

Now we will have something to replace mercury after we take it apart to build space habitats

The Sumerian writings say the Annunaki come from a planet with a 3600 year orbit around the sun.

They must like it very, very COOOOOLD!

@Coffeo It's one reason they seeded Earth. They like it warmer.

Where did they do that?

Is this what Zechariah Sitchin proposed? I have to ask: if they learned of that planet, why didn't they learn of other things? Like the Earth being approximately spherical, it moving around the Sun along with the other planets, eclipses being shadow effects, and the "fixed" stars being distant suns.

@lpetrich Sitchin's books said all of that. There was something about there being 12 planets, including the moon. Lots of things that weren't known, or rediscovered until modern times. Sitchin's books are hard to read. Like reading a book of facts, that you have to decide if they're true or not. And decide the significance. His books are full of believe it or nots.

Cool! Thanks for the post.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:305110
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.