Agnostic.com

15 0

How do you answer someone who says I'll pray for you like they are judging you?

sillyangel 4 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tell the big guy upstairs I'll take the money. ?

Nothing fails like prayer.

They may not be actively judging you as much as you think, they may simply be clueless about their own impertinence. And in any case ... it's not worth taking personally even if it's meant personally. I don't care about the opinions of conspiracy theorists, flat-earthers or god-botherers, and they certainly don't care about my opinions. At least I have the good sense not to share them where they are not wanted.

One of the few Bible verses that's fairly true is "cast not your pearls before swine, less they trample them underfoot, and then turn and trample you." This cuts both ways. If an believer can't appreciate the value of our metaphorical pearls (rational thought, decent evidential standards) then there's no more sense in expounding upon them, than there is in them expounding on the glories of religious faith (believing assertions without a requirement of evidence) to us.

Let them make their ineffective prayers. It keeps them occupied.

Just thank them....they can’t do any harm to you by praying, even if they do no good. I have a gardener/ handyman who tells me that he always remembers me in his prayers, I just thank him sweetly and offer him a cup of tea. No sense in arguing with them, they think they are doing us a favour.

In the South we say "Bless your heart" and every Southerner knows what that means.

Now I'm going to look for an opportunity to say that 😂

i thank them

gater Level 7 Mar 7, 2019

Sounds like you talked to them too much already pinoy!

It feels like the more intimately I want to tell my friends that I'm an atheist the more they feel like I'm becoming a bad person. I just don't want them to walk away from me.

"I don't believe in any god or gods, but I do appreciate the sentiment"

Just say thanks and move on. We haven't the time for ignorance.

Feel free to waste your time.

My wife has been fighting cancer for 6 years now.On chemo for the 4th time now, she is a very sick woman.A nurse for 40 years she has done nothing but help other people her whole life, if anyone should have gotten a pass from God it would be her. The literal unfairness of it uesd to make me angry but as we all know fair or unfair and God have nothing to do it. We all have to play the hand we are dealt. When well meaning relgious people tell us they are praying we try and take it in the context in which it was given. You can tell when someone is empathatic and knows that there is nothing they can do to help but feels for her all the same. To these people we say thanks and let them off the hook so to speak. Then there are the true believers that actually feel that their intercessory prayer will actuall work and I want to grab them and shake them and ask why the HELL their all loving GOD is making my wife suffer. Its a tough call dealing with these fundi,s.

“Thanks mate. I’ll do the same for you”

Not sure but I would probably say something like "Oh wow" with a slight chuckle.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:305563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.