Agnostic.com

12 15

Religion and patriarchy are not mutually exclusive—on the contrary, they are inclusive. As long as women succumb to patriarchal religosity, her mistreatment in the world will remain secured. A free society begins with women. We need you.

Sapio_Ink 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did someone say they were mutually exclusive? One might as well say Matriarchy and Religion are mutually exclusive. I don't see any point in it or accuracy.

I quite often hear people (women and men) saying we might be better off if women ran everything, that women are less competitive, more cooperative and so on. To be honest, though, I don't think this is necessarily true: there are around 3.8 billion women in the world and, much like men, they're all different - some are very intelligent and some are idiots, some are exceptionally caring while some don't give a shit about anyone but themselves, some are cooperative, and some are competitive, some are inclusive and some are not, some of them would be exceptionally good politicians and leaders whereas others would be arrogant, racist morons, just female versions of Trump.

What I would like to see, though, is changes in society that encourage and make it easier for these intelligent, caring, cooperative, inclusive women to get to the top - and, at the same time, make it impossible for the Trumps of the world, those men who are clearly unqualified to be in any position of power at all, to get there simply because they're members of the old boys' network thanks to having money money and connections and (as tends to be the case here in the UK) went to the right school.

In other words, smash the patriarchy.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

Religion aside; We need to realize that equailty does not mean that we are identical. Most women (proven fact) do not have the ability to be as physically string as a man. Yet women have higher pain tolerances(proven fact) than men. Not all men/women are physically strong, not all men/women have high levels of endurance, not all men/women stamina. Not all men/women are good parents, are good wage earners are good people.. NOW replace men/women with th eword people. What we need is to treat everyone with respect and equality regardless of their sex. What I do not belive is that I need to respect men or women who belive that there are male and female roles dictated by religion.

@Affinis I also do not respect anything than disrespects men!

For a free society everyone needs to be represented, no matter what gender, physical characteristics, or belief structure.

An all woman government would be just as bad as all men.

More than you need us mostly

Old time feminist here. (First NOW meeting was in 1984 for me....).
Geraldine Ferraro was running for Vice President during the time frame I was active. I met her. It was cool. (Amazing that woman made it that far in that time - and was destroyed for crying in public).

We used to theorize that if women ran the world that all wars would end. Being as those would be our kids fighting - plus lack of testosterone.

Since all this garbage has started with the current President I have met some whackadoodle (tech. term there) women online. They don't even know they are part of their own subjugation and they fight for it.

Even knowing that? I'd like to see more women in office - say equal representation (51/49) works just fine for me. The whackadoodles are often weeded out by subjugation.

I'm still hoping for a more reasonable world before I die.

I think I agree with you - but I'm not sure. I'm a little confused.
But, agreed - any doctrine that denegrates half the human race is repugnant and wrong, in my opinion.....

I couldn't agree more. I am beyond ready for the lionesses to do the hunting, and to eat their kill first as well. We men have made a mess of things, and can't seem to get past our egos, not to mention what's between our legs. Many nations have had female heads of state, some multiple times--look at Switzerland, Norway, the UK, etc. And yet the United States continues to be run mostly by men. Despite the fact that women outnumber men in this country (51% to 49%), we have only 6 female governors (12%), 84 women in the House (19%), and 22 female Senators (22%). And in the business world, only 6% of the Fortune 500 companies have women CEOs. Considering this power dynamic, should anyone be surprised that so many abuses are coming to light?

@Ella I wish I could "like" that more than once, Well said!

@TheInterlooper But @Ella didn't say we should favour systems that favour one gender over the other - she said perhaps we should try systems and methods that favour cooperation over competition.

There was this pompous girl some years back, at one of my job sites. Her church was very bible literal and her god, pastor, then husband all led her around as she attempted to lead everyone else. She bragged that she was in a special group that protested anywhere, any time. The pastor would indicate some sort of need and everyone was called up to meet at the church.

They were told at the church who and what they would be protesting. All the signs were ready to go and they had a few small children and a few mentally challenged people for more impact and off they went in one oe two church vans for a calculated, cynical event.

@Clare Sounds like it, but this was Pleasent View Baptist in the mid ninties in Alaska.

I'd say they are complimentary rather than inclusive. You may have noticed that a lot of women don't believe in that religious superstition...

Is that your dog in that pic? Cause that is a cute dog.

@RavenCT Yes, her name is Tess. Thanks, I'll tell her you said that.

@shockwaverider Highlander fan or just coincidence?

You tell her I said she's a good dog! And a pretty dog..... and give her a pet or two from me. 😉

@RavenCT Coincidence. She had the name when I adopted her. And I will. This is the first picture I saw of her.

@shockwaverider She's adorable. Those ears and those eyes.

@Affinis I was talking about on this site... 🙂

I didn't know that and would have thought it was the opposite. You might like this article. [bigthink.com]

?? Who thinks religion and patriarchy are mutually exclusive? Au contraire.

In my experience , men who did not attend church , decided to take me to , " their ," church . I suspect the only point was that they wanted me to abide by whatever rules the church had in favor of women being subservient to men . And here I am . Ha , ha , ha .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30623
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.