Agnostic.com

14 1

How do you respond to cashiers saying "have a blessed day"?

Here in the bible belt, when checking out at any store, one is likely to be given a parting salutation, by the cashier, of "have a blessed day".

How do, or would, you respond to such unashamed, and unthinking, religious lingo?

OldHippieAtHeart 6 Mar 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely silence and go about my business. Not in a rude way -- just politely walk away. I think for most people it's a habit and they really don't care how or whether it is received.

When Costco first opened in New Orleans the door receipt checkers were incessant about it. I wrote Costco a letter nicely stating essentially that I don't go to Costco for church and would rather not hear religious sentiments every time I leave the store. I kid you not, it stopped.

Beautiful!!!

I complained during a hospital survey after a minor surgery. The one who checked me in said 'I'll pray for you'.

I would not say anything. They mean well. It isn't the same as when they say "Well, Bless your heart" to try ot end a conversation, which is the Bible Belt version of "Go fuck yourself".

Nailed it.

The same way as I do to "have a nice/good day", with a "thank you" or "you too".

Zster Level 8 Mar 11, 2019

I just assume they go to church a lot, and reply with "you too!".

So annoying! As if they have some secret power to bless you lol ! I would just say um ok thanks?

I find their blessings arrogant and condescending. It's something that has became overbearing the last twenty years.

This is a major piss off for me. I always say 'I am an atheist. No blessings required'.

haha I was in a dollar store the other day and braced for it. My face must have "atheist" written all over it because unlike the "have a blessed day" I was asked if I'd donate a dollar to veterans. Soliciting donations at a place I shop is a peeve of mine, so I said "not here" and I was subsequently handed my receipt and not blessed LOL

I mean, where is my donation receipt so I can put that on my taxes next year? Or are we giving these businesses their charitable donation quota at the register? Hmmmm?
On top of being "blessed".

Say “I didn’t sneeze”

"Inshallah"

I always sAT "tHANK YOU."

I say “thank you” and then “hope you have a nice day” back. There’s too much rudeness in this world to be rude or snarky back to someone offering me good wishes, no matter how expressed. Why ruin someone else’s day unnecessarily.

I don’t like that statement and think it an intrusion, for what that’s worth.

I would say thank you. Why would I be rude to someone being nice. I don't mind being an asshole when called for, this is not one of those times. If I was with another Atheist/Agnostic and they got snarky because someone said bless you to one or both of us, it would be the last time I would associate with that person.

i don't respond. i am never going to see that person again. i don't care what they believe. i don't care what they assume i believe. it bites a little but it doesn't ruin my life.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:308291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.