Agnostic.com

69 8

I recently became single because my ex decided he couldn't live with my cat. Prior to this, he kept giving me ultimatums: the cat leaves or he does. Would any of you give up your pet to make somebody else happy?

ShabbyChicGirl 5 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did this one time never again!!! I will never be with someone who doesn’t share my love of cats,dogs,birds and whatever else I have in my life.
I come as a package deal !!!!
I would never expect anyone to give up a beloved pet.
I might not be the animals best friend but I would be good to it and care for it out of respect for the other person.

The relationship wouldn't even start if she didn't love my dogs. Things like politics, religion and dogs get sorted-out before the first kiss. No match... no need for the kiss.

Anyone who expects their partner to give up their pet for them is alarmingly selfish. It's no fun breaking up with someone, I know, but I'm thinking you dodged a bullet, honey. I don't think it would have gotten any better from there.

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever

Hell no.
You made the right choice.
Who soever loveth me, loveth my hound, cat, guinea pig, chicken, parrot

My pet will always be first.

If were we're just talking one pet, no. I have one cat. I wouldn't leave over that. I'm just not into people who want like, 5-10 animals. My ex wife was like that. That's not why we divorced either BTW. But I am happy I don't have to deal with all those pets anymore.

I had a gf who was allergic to cats. My cat is also my son's cat. Midnight stays. Tough cookies.

My ex was not a fan of animals in general, of course my chosen pets were two large boa constrictors which I did find new homes for because of her. I also wanted bees, not really pets but something else she made clear was not welcome while she was around. She is not a happy person and was always demanding things that she thought I should do to make her happy. Eventually she left me for god, apparently god makes her happy? Anyway, I got two new snakes and bees and I also raise mice both as pet and pet food (I know, I'm horrible) and have birds, basically a house full of animals, I am much happier with them than I was with her, go figure.

I will never date / be with a person who has snakes / spiders and the likes as pets....i

A relationship ought to be about how you make each other happy. If he feels that strongly, find out why. If you like the cat more, then give up on the person. I lost my wife a few years ago and looking back I would give up anything for her. I know a lot of woman expect the husband, after marriage, to give up watching too much football, or golf or poker with friends. To me, it's all the same. Loving someone means trying to compromise and to make each other happy. It ought not to be a contest of wills.

Geoff Level 5 Mar 7, 2018

Hi ShabbyChicGirl, I was speaking in generalities not knowing your situation. I am not asking you to sacrifice for him. I am saying we need to evaluate the relationship and our priorities. Clearly, from what you wrote, the cat is not the issue and that relationship is already doomed, cat or not. Best of luck.

If it’s any consolation, I wouldn’t live with your cat either.. James

Leon Level 5 Mar 5, 2018

two chances, fat chance and no chance

It depends. Like if he were allergic or really just scared of cats etc. then yes. If it were a symptom of a larger incompatibility, then no. So like many things in a relationship it is a judgement call.

That being said when you get an animal it is a lifetime commitment for that animals life. So I would not take it to the pound. I would find it a new home with the offer to take it back if the person couldn’t take care of it anymore, that way I could make sure it found another home instead of someone else potentially taking it to the pound. I would expect them to be understanding of this principle.

Myah Level 6 Mar 3, 2018

I am glad you stood up for yourself! 🙂

@ShabbyChicGirl

I don't have pets, but I have a friend who gave away her children's cat to be with a new man. The children were really attached to the cat. It was pretty sad.

Why did your ex not want to live with the cat?

Give up Pook? no way.

I would not, could not. Not even with a goat nor even on a boat. The pet stays.

SamL Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

No way, not possible, could never happen.
I won't date women who don't like animals and stopped dating one when I found out she hated cats.

Completely on your side. I would have made the same choice.

Absolutely not. Any person who doesn't like my pets isn't for me. I'm sorry this happened to you. There are many other people who will love you AND your feline family.

He didn't love you to begin with. Sounds like the cat is a better lover then he was. Someone who dishes out ultimatums is looking for an excuse to ditch. If you dumped your cat, then it would be quit smoking, lose weight, take out the trash, etc.

zrez Level 4 Mar 1, 2018

I have 4 cats and I would not give any of them up. If someone doesn't like animals (or cats specifically) they 're not the right person for me.

I define these persons as abusive. Today is your pet, tomorrow is a friend... in few weeks your cel, your job...
No, is not they are allergic but the fact they can't stand the "competition".

Noooooooooooooooooo

I'd be slamming the door on their sorry ass before they even finished speaking.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.