Agnostic.com

19 3

Bad Reactions When "Coming Out" Atheist?

Back in "the day," I tangentially mentioned I was atheist, and I got a look like I cooked babies for dinner. I don't, by the way. Another other negative or bad reactions?

Clarkefan 4 Mar 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I must be living in a different universe. I’ve never had a bad reaction to my lack of belief.

@Allamanda Absolutely right. They think you have no morals and or principals.

@Allamanda, @MissKathleen Absolutely right, try doing it in Mississippi, Oklahoma, Texas etc.The religious idiots think there is no goodness outside religion.

My favorite when some people find out, "...but you're so NICE."
LOL
I've been "out" for decades. I've gotten lots of negative reactions.

I know!! How can you be both a heathen and nice??? Mind boggling!!

@Rustee I think what surprises them most is never seeing me eat a baby, or sacrifice a goat to satan.
What they actually know about atheism wouldn't fill a thimble.

@KKGator - Ahhh, but ignorance is bliss.... Or so it might seem from the number of ignoramus amongst us...

I had one person haughtily exclaim that it would've been better if I had "admitted" to being Jewish, rather than Atheist. HUH??? Apparently that particular xtian thought Jewish and Atheist are both evil. Or something?!?

I used to mess with people on the dock when I took breaks at my old job. Super weird crew, and after mentioning that I didn't really believe in "that stuff" after a classic lunchtime BS session, I got the side eye. Next time there was a thunderstorm I went full edgelord and reached my hands up into the heavens and said "strike me down if you're real you bitch!"

I'm not really that kind of guy but their reactions made it for me, and I used to do stuff like that just to mess with them. Turning their negative reactions into a funny situation (for me).

You got my vote. That's perfect !!

Many of us would be dead if christians and muslims had their druthers.

Hangings, stonings, burnings, you name it. We are not a popular bunch. Only technology, innovation, education and continuing to evolve as a species has given us a bit of safety, and now a way to communicate directly with each other. I suspect there are a lot more of us.

Good times.

SCal Level 7 Mar 13, 2019

Yes, the following are the notable killings that would have never happened IF THERE WAS NO GOD OR RELIGION

1. The Christian crusades
  2. Jihads
  3. The Holocaust
  4. The Inquisition
  5. Muslim Conquests (622 to 1924)
  6. The genocides of Native Americans
  7. Ku Kux Klan murders
  8. Armenian Genocide
  9. Ethnic cleansing in Kashmir
  10. Ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Serbia
  11. Witch Hunt and Wiccan murders
  12. Biblical sanction of murders and harassment of homosexuals
  13. Teotihuacan human sacrifices of children and eating their flesh to please the Rain God
  14. Mayan human sacrifices to please gods
  15. Inca human sacrifices to please gods
  16. Aztec human sacrifices
  17. Thugee sacrifices to Goddess Kali in India
  18. ISIS beheading and other killing
  19. India and Pakistan Partition (Hindu & Muslims) 1947
  20. 2002 mass Godhra Gujarat murders of burning Muslims alive by Modi government
  21. Nic Diederichs Technical High School Slashing
  22. Mahmud of Ghazni, the slaughter at the Somnath temple
  23. Cossack Cromwell massacres in Ukraine
  24. Christianization of Scandinavia
  25. Anabaptists siege of Munster, Germany.

Disowned by my parents, divorced by my born-again ex-wife and told repeatedly that I'm going to burn in hell. But I guess for Oklahoma that's a pretty tame reaction.

Burning in hell is always a good one. Then you have these nutjobs who think they have already been there but god allowed them to come back. How silly. Totally silly!

I have never had to come out. I have always been a loud and proud Atheist.

It just never was a thing. I can't think of a time it has caused me a problem. It just doesn't come up. Maybe because of my job, folks assume I'm a heathen. They assume I have done drugs, and they are right about that.

I live in the state of "North Mississipi." i. e. Indiana. Atheism is not something you proclaim in public. I am glad to find like minded people here.

JK666 Level 7 Mar 12, 2019

I t didn’t seem to matter growing up, but the last twenty I have noticed a change where they want to debate me or something.

I was told that they would pray for me! Lol

I got told I'd burn in the fires of hell...blah blah....for telling someone that "god's will" as an answer to childhood cancer was inherently evil.....to which I replied, see you want me to burn for challenging a stupid statement, the conversation didn't get better.

All of this happened after I said I couldn't believe just because of all the shitty things that happen to people that don't deserve it.

My family members who would be so shocked about this are mostly dead but I think a group I deliver parts to has found me in other media recently. They were trying to give me a "Trump and god" talk yesterday and I had to watch what I said.

I worked with mostly very churchy people. When one of my friends told me that she and I should go on a bus trip to a theater that does live religious plays . And she said there was no way you could watch those plays and not be a believer. I told her it was not my cup of tea. That they may be very interesting, beautiful plays, but I would have to look at them as I look at fairy tales. The disapproval in the air was so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

Theres nothing bad with saying you don't bevlieve something without evidence.

Can you really be an atheist and not cook babies for dinner? They're delicious.

JimG Level 8 Mar 15, 2019

Detoxification is necessary for all Terrians.

tipi Level 7 Mar 16, 2019

My family blocked me off facebook for coming out but they still treat me like they love me in person i guess

I come out as Atheist one day. I know if I did it now it wouldn't go well. Growing up in a fairly religious family. I would be going through the same you are. They would hit the roof if I told them I'm pan sexual as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:309180
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.