Agnostic.com

28 4

Do you eat meat? Are you a vegetarian or vegan? Do you strive to eat less meat or are content with eating meat?

I don't eat beef or pork. I eat vegetarian cheese and drink almond milk, so basically no cow products. I hope to become vegetarian one day.

AustinSkepticus 7 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I'm out, I'll sometimes eat animal products, but usually I order vegetarian & hold the cheese. At home, I eat strictly whole food plant based. It's commendable that people do it for ethical or ecological reasons, but I did it for my health.

I was veggie for 9 years, but got anemia quite badly. My doctor was unsympathetic to my plight and told me I needed to eat meat or have an injection which wasn't vegetarian either. I ate a steak.

Now I eat a lot of meat substitute products, almond milk or water instead of milk and have a great collection of vegan recipes which I use at home. I know more about nutrition and would love to be vegan, but at the moment it's not something I'm working at seriously I'm afraid. As vegan becomes more popular I hope it becomes easier, cooking for one is a bore.

I do also love good quality meat. Venison, grass fed beef, free range organic chicken. But I probably eat these once a week at most.

I may make a slow-cooker pot roast every 4-6 weeks and may grill a burger once a month or so in the summer, but that's about it for beef. I make buffalo meat chili a couple times during the winter. What I've noticed though throughout my life is that your inherited genes have more to do with your health and longevity than anything you eat. Every fall my Dad and his brother would slaughter a steer they had grown, so beef was a constant around here. Neither my Dad or mom excersiced even a little bit and every night for decades they had a couple of Manhattans.

My Dad was one of 14 kids.1 died within its first year. One in a car accident...and one was hit by lightning while farming. One brother died at 84. All the others lived well into their 90's and one hit 101. All were beef eaters...none were excersicers...but none were smokers either. My mom being from a different family line but the same lifestyle made it to 93. Her mom stroked out at 66 but was a smoker.

Two brothers from one eastern Colorado family married two of my Dad's sisters. One brother that smoked died at 54 while running a crane, and one at 77. I'm not aware of any of the 18 kids in that family that made it past about 82. So in my experience DNA is the primary indicator in the possibility of a long life, environmental issues such as smoking, drinking and drug abuse second and food choices after that.

I have a strange red meat allergy that I devoloped after a tick bite. I can eat chicken, fish, vegetables, some dairy although I try and avoid too much cheese.
I use coconut milk in my coffee.
Being food restrictive makes you expand your food adventure. I have been eating duck, emu, ostrich. Luckily I like seafood as well. I really don't miss beef and pork

I eat meat one meal a week.

I have no plans to do it more often or less often.

I ate vegetarian for a few years. I started because I had leukemia and I paid very close attention to what I ate, and kept eating vegetarian after ther was no sogn of cancer in my sistem.

Then, I got priced out of my apartment and moved in with my sister's family. Since she does mos tof ht ecooking I eat what she pepoares. However, if I lived aloen again,k I'd probably go back to easting vegetarian.

It takes one gallon of water to produce a single almond, just saying.
Also, animals like deer have been documented partaking in carrion meat, humans included. The more you know...
While cutting down on meat consumption is fine. I don't think humans are meant to be strict vegetarians.

[news.nationalgeographic.com]

I am transitioning to vegan/vegetarian one step at a time. I've completely done away with cow milk (which was hard for someone who really loved milk), I've tried vegan cheese recently, but overall I've opened my horizons for trying new healthier meals and food options. It's difficult to afford healthy food and vegan food sometimes, but when I can I make those mindful choices.

I follow the conduct of Buddha Shakyamuni ... I will not condemn others for eating it and I will not kill creatures myself. But if already prepared I will not turn it down.

Oh, I've never heard of that. I eat meals at work that I would never prepare for myself. That makes sense to me. Thanks for explaining.

Eat as litte red meat as possible, mostly chicken here, once in a tad I do have red meat.

Mostly chicken and eggs, and the occasional salmon here.

I respect vegetarians that don't judge or hold some sort of superiority about it. Personally, I tried going vegetarian but my allergies make it basically impossible plus I just really love meat. I wish you luck in your quest for vegetarianism as long as you're cool to us 🙂

Vegan for the animals, the environment and my health!

Omnivore

@Michael64 I'm an omnivore, the smiley homo sapien in the photo could also be one. You by choice are not, but your physiology means you are capable of gaining nutrients from meat and plants. 🙂

@TiberiusGracchus Someone doesn't like that I disagree with them. But the bottom line is I enjoy eating meat, fruit, veg etc..end of

I eat meat. Several times a week. I'm not a fan of most vegetables, and I cannot tolerate
beans. I will never become a vegetarian or a vegan.
I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't eat.
My greatest hope for everyone is that they can live their lives as they wish to.

Vegan/veggie

I tried to go vegetarian, after about 6 months I was dreaming of hamburgers and my body ached. I caved and bought some groundbeef made a meatloaf and felt alot better. I don't eat alot of beef as organic grassfed non-GMO is expensive but seems I do require just a bit to feel good.

I sure do. I grew up on a farm where we raised Angus cattle that were destined for 4 adn 5 star restaurants. That's the quality of beef I was accustomed to. Once I got to college and was subjected to the low quality stuff they serve there, I couldn't stand beef any more. I eat mostly chicken and fish.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

The human body requires a nutrient element called cobalt, or cobalamin. Cobalamin is more commonly known as Vitamin B12. Dr. Paul Marsh, Health, Safety & Environment Manager [has it that] Humans need cobalamin “ready-made” in their diet. Cobalamin is so important to human health that the human body has a special delivery system just for obtaining cobalamin from the diet, called “intrinsic factor”. Cobalamin is needed for blood cell formation, and consequently one of the main deficiency effects is anemia with a decrease in red blood cells. Cobalamin is also essential for healthy brain and nervous system function, as well as in DNA synthesis, fatty acid synthesis, and energy metabolism.

How do you get cobalt? You must ‘eat a little bit of everything’ within your local market. The so-called common sense diets of people these days, protestant based ethics, “take all you want, just eat all you take” is as inconsiderate of our bodies as refusing to wash the dishes after the meal. Buzzards and vultures eat rotten meat; but you’ve never heard of one getting cancer, stomach problems, or being overweight. Just listen to your body, it’ll tell you when something should be rejected.

So when my mother tells me to be thankful for whatever I have to eat, children in Africa are starving, I tell her to invite them to dinner.

Once, my mother tried to use that "starving children in Africa" line on me, and how they'd be happy for what I had. I said, "Well, let's send this to them." She backhanded me so hard, it knocked me off the chair. I realized then, that many moms don't appreciate logic. 😉

@KKGator Yeah, that line of shit hovered around most dinner tables in the 50's.

@Highway-Starr It lasted on through the 60s, too.

My dog eats his own poop. Just because it's good for one specie.... I do agree that a varied diet is probably best though.

@arnies But poop is a natural source of B12! 😀

I grew up on a little farm where we had a huge garden, canned & preserved all summer, raised chickens, pigs & rabbits for food, hunted & fished & foraged throughout the year. We did not have meat with every meal. I just took it for granted that was normal.

As an adult, as much as I love a good steak, beef hates me. Makes me violently ill when ingested. Don't know why. Bison is a good substitue but its expensive so its a rare treat.

I was recently diagnosed as gluten sensitive (I don't have the disposable income or time or inclination to fight the insurance company to go through testing to confirm Celiacs) so that removes a ton of preprocessed common staple foods & vegetarian products from my pantry. Good thing I like to cook, its a real adventure these days.

Similar tale, grew up eating garden vegies, local farm produce and beef. At 43 go gluten free - no funds for celiac test - FEEL way better. Like to cook and guess what, I produce much less waste for the garbage man to pick up or put in the recycle bin. Is reading labels your favorite past time at the grocery store? LOL

@silverotter11 as much as I hate it, I have learned so much about what is in food. On a regular basis, standing in the aisle@ grocery the words "WTF" & "f*ck me" fall out of my mouth, usually about the 4th or 5th label I read. I did not know there was "wheat syrup" until I started reading labels.

I was raised in a household where we had meat three times a day and everything was fried. Today, I have meat two or three times a week and the only fried food is French fries with no salt. For me, it’s a good balance.

Iffy Level 5 Mar 2, 2018

I eat almost anything, but animal flesh tastes so good. I guess I am destined to be evil.

At least I don't eat babies. Well, human ones anyhow.

I have way too many food allergies to go vegan or vegetarian. It's enough of a struggle to find foods I can eat to begin with.

I have a friend who had to go utterly vegan for the same reason.

I think there are multiple reasons to avoid meat, humane reasons and scientific. Cows contribute a lot to the gases in the environment and pugs are vastly intelligent. Both are solid reasons to get meat out of my diet.

@MrLizard read this sitting at vet & laughed till I snorted.

@MrLizard yes, i am ashamed to say. Not sure if my eyes bugged out a little when i did it.

Pigs* lol

im an omnivore

Yes. No. No. No.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31082
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.