Agnostic.com

12 10

Space (A.K.A. Outer Space, Cosmological Space) is not an empty void, not free of substance or form.

Space contains trace amounts of matter throughout the universe. It’s primarily very hot (hundreds of thousands of degrees), coronal-like gas in most locations between galaxies. Once created, coronal gas lacks effective cooling mechanisms and is incredibly transparent, making the universe appear cold (3 Kelvin), the cosmic microwave radiation from the cooling down after the Big Bang. In addition to ordinary matter, there are neutrinos and other exotic particles zipping through ever volume of space along with radiation. Moreover, there is ten times more dark matter than ordinary matter in each volume and more dark energy than dark matter by three fold on average.

Space itself has structure, a sea teaming with quantum mechanical interactions and fluctuations. Both space and time were created in the Big Bang. There was no time prior to the BB and no way to be “outside” of the BB watching creation of the universe unfold.

TheAstroChuck 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a fascinating discussion, with a profound and astute truth being presented by a qualified physicist, and that truth being denied by those who cling to a shallow world view where space, time, and matter are taken to be primary and are not to be questioned. The irony is that the shallow world view is thought to be scientific by its adherents, and they dismiss the statements of the scientist as being unscientific.

I see space, time and things as being modes of thought. In ultimate reality beyond our senses those concepts have little or no meaning. Read “Reality is not What it Seems” by physicist Carlo Rovelli. One of his chapters is entitled “Time does not exist”.

IMO the practice of dogmatic scientism is based on ignorance and bigotry far worse than any religion.

Trying to explain the Universe to Chuck is just as futile as trying to explain evolution to a Christian.

gater Level 7 Mar 18, 2019

Between you and Chuck, who, would you say, is more confident of their position?

@skado I can't speak for him, but im 100% positive

Very true, but they have many counter arguments and refuse to acknowledge reason

@TheAstroChuck them

Hey Chuck, You're never going to win a religious argument with reason. Time is infinite because "something" had to have existed before the big bang and they accept this as a matter of faith The only evidence they are willing to accept is that you prove that "nothing" exists and they are blind to the logical paradox of their own position.

no time before the Big Bang? tell me about the trillions of years before the BB -

gater Level 7 Mar 16, 2019

@TheAstroChuck you clearly don't understand time

@TheAstroChuck funny , that's the same reaction I have when I read about your views of the universe.

I find this all fascinating and yet hard to understand at the same time. Religion cops out by saying there god has always existed. What if the universe has always existed and there is no need of gods?

@johnprytz Time is infinite because I say so is not a good argument in the face of the big bang that traces it back to it's start. Actually if it wasn't false it might be a good argument for the existence of god. What happened before the beginning is the same argument as if all this exists it had to have a creator. If the universe depends on an infinite existence of time and matter it would include all possibilities including god. Who created god? The lack of an answer, doesn't make an opinion true.

My mind doesn’t know what to do with “no time”.

skado Level 9 Mar 15, 2019

the idea of no time is illogical - if you think time isn't a constant, then you don't understand time. the idea of a pre time is retarded.

@TheAstroChuck
Thanks, but I don’t have the background to understand that or what it has to do with time not existing.

I remember being impressed by a lecture by Lawrence Krause about the universe never being "empty". Even space with particles passing through it removed has quantum level virtual particles popping in and out. Not just interesting as a scientific point, but on religion, the false claim that there had to be God because nothing can come from nothing. Wrong. There's never nothing, it seems in science. Even in general language the word nothing is used generally but inaccurately. Nothing on my mind; nothing on my plate; nothing out there..etc Of course my mind is not empty, my plate has food crumbs on it, and things are out there.

all of this is out of my stream of consciousness I watched an old documentary about . the development of telescopes a while back. THey touched briefly on our not so long ago idea of the emptiness of space and showed comparisons of what we see depending on our technology. Pretty basic but enough for me

wrong - space and time are infinite - there was no beginning of the universe.

gater Level 7 Mar 15, 2019

"wrong - space and time are infinite - there was no beginning of the universe." And we are supposed to take your word for it...no rationale, no counter theory, etc. Just like you are the sage on the mountain top.

@johnprytz Thank you.

@dahermit yes - take my word for it - because its true.

@TheAstroChuck as I told you before - einsteins special theory is flawed. you probably need to stay away from theories and build your view of the universe based on facts.

@gater I will "take your word for it if you are the oracle at Delphi...all others need to express more than a "bumper stickerish" pronouncement. You could be some dip sitting at the end of the bar for all I know.
Give a rational explanation for your theory or STFU.

@dahermit lol I gave you facts - wallow in ignorance - I really don't care.

@gater You gave me a "bumper sticker".

It's hard for us to wrap our heads around, that the statements "nothing is something" and "what was before the beginning" aren't gibberish show the blind spot in our thinking. Nothing really is nothing, time and volume aren't exceptions.

Officially the my god is better arguement for Athiest unfolding in the forums, it's my concept of the universe and its being.

So, from a practical engineering point of view, a really fast space ship needs a bulldozer blade mounted on her bow?

@TheAstroChuck
Maybe more like a "cow-catcher" then. I see your point there Chuck. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:311303
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.