Agnostic.com

17 11

The 7 Most Baffling Things About Women's Clothes

I hate too-short shirts and low-cut pants. Pants with no pockets. Too-thin fabric that shows my bra. Whorish skintight, low-cut dresses. Three-quarter sleeves: with long arms, I look gawky. Who wants to look at my forearms?

Since 7th grade, I have sewed dresses and skirts to to fit comfortably. But I hate making pants. Can't see my backside in the mirror or adjust with pins.

Recently I bought stretchy pants without pockets or a zipper. Yanking the pants up over my hips is a wiggling challenge. But the design has more pressing problems:

1. The 2-inch waistband elastic twists and folds inside the casing, making a bulge.

2. The pants slide down like pantyhose. I'm constantly yanking them up.

Aggravated, with matching thread, last night I secured the elastic to the top of the waistband at the sides, front and back, to stop it from twisting. Hope it works.

Red men's suspenders worked on downhill ski pants. Ski pants slid down to my knees. Laughing, I fell. But the clips popped open. I sewed on the suspenders with no clips.

Photos: Comfortable dresses I made that skim my body.

Women across the world rejoiced when Kate Middleton wore a long-sleeved wedding dress.

[cracked.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The hardest things for me to find are pants and jeans that fit, feel, and look good. I'm short, but also curvy, and there's not much out there for me. When I find something that totally works, I actually start dancing around in the fitting room... And don't get me started about bras -- when I finally found one that fit and felt comfortable, I leaned against the wall and started to cry. Bought up multiples in every color.

@bleurowz

That's why I never wear jeans. For me, jeans are ill-fitting and uncomfortable. They are all too low-cut.

Even though I am thin, low-cut pants cause a muffin top. I hate it.

Well stated. Then again, you look good in anything you wear.

@Mitch07102

Thank you.

I have never felt it was fair to women to have all the wardrobe and grooming complexity that they do. I don't tolerate more than 5 minutes of morning oblations and don't feel the woman in my life should be obliged to unless she wants it for some reason.

My wife generally wears no makeup and I finally talked her into to not having the hairdresser put all sorts of chemicals in her hair every month; she's going gray naturally. I tell her (truthfully) I think it's foxy. Around the house she wears tee shirts and comfortable slacks.

Selfishly I'd like to see her in a dress once in awhile but she has a lot of leg hair (which I also think is foxy) and she doesn't want the constant razor knicks of getting rid of it to put her legs on display. So ... I leave her alone about that. She's not slovenly or grungy, just sticks to the basics.

On the other hand if anyone enjoys / wants to make nice things for themselves or do elaborate cosmetics, that is great, too. Kudos to you for your resourcefulness, these are really attractive outfits.

I had to sew up the fly buttonhole on my denims 3/32" because it was too big and the button would always come undone when I had to pee.

@ Condor5

Good job.

@LiterateHiker ?and I didn't poke myself with needle even once.

@Condor5 Um, you're supposed to take your pants off first...

@silver_cat that's what she said.?

I love talent and you have it, those all look good. My ex had a hard time finding clothes that would stay nice when she was using forearm crutches, always bunched up or twisted the wrong way. It is a challenge.

BillF Level 7 Mar 16, 2019

I dress for comfort first, if it's stylish, great if not oh well. I do admire the ladies for what they will put themselves through to increase their attractiveness..........

I agree, shirts are never long enough. I'm short, have average to short torso, but bam, shirts are still short.

Here's my list:

1. All women's clothing is far too revealing, or looks like someone took sofa fabric and decided that an old school grandma look is appropriate. There's no middle ground.
  2. Bra's without underwire give most women uni-boob and are a nightmare for larger chests. Or choose the underwire and say goodbye to circulation and get stabbed in your underarm all day.
  3. All underwear. Seriously. You wouldn't think it would be difficult, but they manage to mess up underwear. Do you want your cheeks to hang out? (to varying degrees) Do you want the waist band up to your armpits? Wide enough leg holes pretty much guarantee that the waist will be to big.
  4. Any shirt large enough for your bust fits like a burlap sack.
  5. Button puckering
  6. trying to find the right butt/hip/waist ratio in pants
  7. Trying to find anything attractive or sexy that isn't excessively risque
  8. Large shirts with tiny sleeves. 'cap' sleeve or sleeves that are super small in circumference.
  9. Shoes that don't have space for toes. Really any shoe that doesn't acknowledge that feet are supposed to serve a function. Shoes that acknowledge the function and then goes out of it's way to look ugly. Where's the balance?
  10. Really anything that sacrifices function for fashion, or fashion for strict function. But if I have to choose, I'll choose function. I just don't understand why things can't be useful, comfortable, well made and beautiful.

@CommonHuman

Thanks for your insightful, excellent reply.

Tight buttonholes are easy to fix. This is a common problem with manufactured clothing.

Buy a seam ripper at a fabric store. With a seam ripper, carefully remove threads in the inside ends of each buttonhole, one at a time. Carefully trim removed threads.

"The 7 Most Baffling Thing About Women's Clothes" article is hilarious!

" Looking for a nice, regular long-sleeve shirt? How about an upside-down drawstring garbage bag with a giant V cut into the neckline?"

Find a bra that you like and remove the underwire. I've done it for a previous girlfriend. She loved it.

I sympathise, and even empathise with most of your clothes grievances. The twisting waisbands are one of my pet hates, and the sinking feeling of losing your pants too! I am short in the arm department, and have the opposite problem of sleeves sometimes being too long, so three quarter length ones are ideal for me. I also feel uncomfortable in too low or tightly fitting tops and dresses, they should be left for evening wear only in my opinion and certainly not worn in the workplace. You look wonderful in all of the photos, and I’m envious of your dressmaking skills.

@Marionville

Thank you for your kind reply. "The sinking feeling of losing your pants" is a nagging concern.

It's embarrassing to hitch up my pants in public. Men easily do this. For women, it feels shameful, like hitching up my underwear.

Ha! This is an indicator of why I like reading your posts. You're like my wife. Her biggest complaint about "store bought" ladies' clothing is pockets. Not big enough. Not deep enough. So. She makes her own. Or.... <GASP> wears boys/men's pants & shorts she alters....

@bigpawbullets

Glad you like reading my posts.

The first dress looks great on you. Nice material.

you didn't even mention bras. gotta be in the top 10. your dresses are wonderful. better when you're in them I'd say.

@hankster

You are right about the difficulty buying bras. I never wear underwire because it hurts. I'm nursing along great-fitting bras I bought five years ago from Victoria's Secret. Of course, they are discontinued.

Thanks for the compliment. My dresses are comfortable.

@LiterateHiker if your underwire hurts, you are wearing the wrong size bra. Go get a professional fitting done - it will change your life.

@GwenC

I'm thin. Without getting graphic, I have skin over bone under my breasts. Have had professional bra fittings. Still, I always wear wireless bras.

European women get far less breast cancer than American women. Underwire bras are one reason why, according to researchers. Another reason is the awful, fatty American diet.

I love a good shift dress, I have a number. Always elegant, flattering and, best of all, comfy.

@Cassiopeia

Good for you!

@LiterateHiker Slightly puzzling remark, but that’s ok. I mentioned shift dresses because 3 of the 4 dresses you are wearing in your pic are shift dresses 🙂

@Cassiopeia

A shift dress fall from your shoulders. You're right.

Except for the maroon, mother-of-the-bride dress, I tailored the dresses to fall from the shoulders, lightly skimming my body.

All of the dresses are made of stretch fabric, a cotton/polyester blend.

There are only seven? 🙂

@Sticks48

Although I found longer lists, this one is the funniest.

You could wear a tent, and make it look good.

@Haemish1

Thank you. It's my wide shoulders.

"You could pull a burlap sack over your head, tie a rope around your waist, and you'd look like a million dollars," Mom said when I was 15. I laughed.

Mom was zipping up the back of this prom dress I made.

Love the fabric on the first one!

@MrBeelzeebubbles

Thanks. The first step is to find fabric I love.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:311893
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.