Agnostic.com

28 4

As an agnostic/atheist, do you feel you actually have better morals than a christian?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I absolutely do. I view all people as worthy of love, equally and without bias, whereas Christians place strict guidelines on others with regards to what's written in their bible. You can't tell someone they're sinful and need to repent and then call yourself a 'good person'. True morality comes from knowing right from wrong and not depending on anyone else to inform you how to act like a decent human being.

Yes. I feel that my actions and thoughts have consequences and I can't just "Hail Mary" them away and be washed of my transgressions.

Gohan Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

Absolutely! I do what I know is right because it IS right. Not because I'm afraid of pissing off some invisible extortionist with anger issues.

Better morals than a Christian? You mean do I know enough not to throw stones at a woman who was raped and I didn't hear her scream? Or that its not OK to beat my slaves with a stick as long as it takes longer than 48 hours for them to die from it? Or not to bash babies against rocks?

Christians don't have morals. They aren't even Immoral; they are Amoral. They don't even know what morals are. What they have is religious indoctrination. That's why they think morals come from god. That's why they don't see anything wrong with the above.

MarqG Level 5 Mar 3, 2018

Well said @MarqG

I think I have better morals than many Christians, but that has to be looked at on a person by person basis and their interpretation. Now, I will say, I think I have better morals than the bible or the religion itself.

Not necessstily; I do feel I'm more attuned to reality, however.

100%! I was raised extremely southern Baptist. Church 3x a week, school on a Baptist Church, etc. I believe I am a completely better person as an agnostic/atheist. It's ironic...I care much more about the things Christ cared about. For me the biggest thing is acceptance and lack of judgment that make me a better person!

Most of the time, yes. I don't need the fear of heaven or hell in order to be a good person. I don't need a book to guide me through life.

Ethics might be a better word because it implies the norms we live by in society. An atheist may have better ethics because he is not living for rewards from a god but because it's the right thing to do.If a Christian follows his holy book then, in my opinion, he would be less ethical than the average person. Many Christians cherry pick and follow only the few good parts so he may be above average but many follow the bronze age thinking that most of the book is composed of and so would fall below the average.

gearl Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

@gearl couldn't agree more

Yes, often I do. More tolerance, more benevolence then many card-carrying godlings.

On average maybe, only slightly.
I don't have threats of hell or promises of heaven guiding me.

I feel that I have better morals than most of the Christians I've met... I will do the right thing not out of fear or immortality rewards but out of the knowledge that it is the right thing to do.

It also makes me feel good to do acts of kindness. I don't judge others based on what they believe or I believe... However I do judge others on their words and actions.

I grew up Mennoite. Mennonites and Amish people are OBSESED with morality. Most of Anabaptist history consists of Anabaptists splitting into ever smaller sects over picayune ethical questions. It's been said that the only kind of theology done by Mennonites is ethics.

1. The question is loaded, invites prideful, self-indulgent and self-deceptive responses.
  2. It plays to the worst prejudices of agnostics, atheists, and even more so, anti-theists.

Psychologists have observed that most individuals, are more optimistic than actually waranted, and have a significantly higher opinion of themselves than the opinion others have of them. The exception are clinically depressed people. We can conclude that objectivity involves large amounts of unhealthy pain when directed at oneself or ones in-group.

1. As phrased, the question makes it nearly impossible for agnostics and atheists to exercise critical faculties and objectivity they pride themselves on.

2. I believe that assertions of one's moral superiority, or the moral superiority of ones in-group are almost always are hypocritical, and such claims of moral superiority are, in themselves, moral failures.

Oh I certainly do. I do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, not because I'm afraid of eternal hellfire.

I believe I'm much less judgemental than most!

Absolutely! It seems like the majority of sexual assaults, child abuse, cheating on SO almost always are self- described Christians. Even when only dealing with more "minor" situations these same folk seem to freely judge others. I feel all of us deserve a fair shake, equal treatment and consideration. Being a good moral person doesn't require consistently broadcasting we are moral.

Teddi Level 2 Mar 9, 2018

@AthleticRiot probably better morals because I don't just dump my shitty behaviour into the 'god will forgive me' bin and walk away

well there definatly my morals so thats better in itself.

What are morals?

self defined attitudes about what is life affirming for self and others and what is not?

In a word, yes. I do what I feel is right because I know it's right. Not because of some mythical being or fear. Also, I've known so many religious hypocrites. Way too many

There is no universal definition of what "better" looks like. There's outward adherence to a ruleset, there's the motivation for that adherence, two very different things. The overall consistency and sustainability of adherence is another factor.

What I would say is that I've always been an ethical, kind person, which I attribute to good role models / parenting, not to religion. And that hasn't changed a bit because of my apostasy.

What HAS changed a bit is that to whatever extent I did the right thing to spare myself judgment (from god or from his people) that's no longer in the mix, which I think has given me greater moral courage.

No. I know a lot of Christians who are kind, moral people. Those people are more moral than I am. I went to a Unitarian Church for a while years back. They were almost too nice. I thought, "Geez, next to these people I'm kind of an a-hole."

I also know a lot of Christians who are neither kind or moral. Some of them aren't as moral as I am.

Admittedly, my morals are, at times, a little sketchy, anyways.

It is not my place to decide if my sense of morality meets or exceeds another's. I am too busy living my life as I choose, while extending the same benefit to all others. This whole "my concept of life is better than yours" mindset is stale and largely unnecessary. Live and let live. Embrace the differences and move on. Much more important stuff to busy my mind with than than this today.

Morality is a sliding scale. What is considered heinous in peace is considered morally sound in war, and everybody will judge you whether you follow the rules of morality or not, because the act of judging makes them feel better. I think that the people who have "better morals" are the ones that put time and energy into developing their own moral compass, and following it.

Yes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31401
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.