Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK Can Crows recognize faces?

Love Nova and am already convinced Crows are awesome and smart but I wonder if in this case this is because of facial features or because he has a huge plastic thing covering his head. Don't birds see ultraviolet light? That would make a huge difference since it is not skin they are seeing.

MsAl 8 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I walk by a whole flock, every morning. They all know me, and go about their business, as If I'm not even there. The Turkey Vultures are the same way. But let a stranger come near, and they take to the trees and rooftops. And I don't wear a hat, or a 'big plastic thing'. So I can only believe that they do recognize individual humans, that they are accustomed to seeing.

I miss read it as as cows and visualised the dairy farmer being greeted by his herd at milking time but crows are known to be very intelligent so why not. Noisy buggers when they nest near your house though.

In my experience crows not only recognize people, they can read your mind, and Iā€™m not kidding.

Crows are smart but I tend to think that Aussie Magpies, the birds that is, are even smarter.
I have a pair of Magpies that always arrive just when I'm about to feed my chickens and leave some aside for the other native birds as well.
If I'm running a bit late, the Magpies will sit on my roof and warble until I come out with the food, they do this with great regularity.

I think most members of the crow family are very smart. šŸ™‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:316593
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.