Agnostic.com

3 7

How do we know that the vacuum of space has structure and is more than empty nothingness?

James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century was able to embody everything known about electric and magnetic fields into just 4 equations of electromagnetism (EM). These equations describe all the properties of light, which are EM waves. Light as waves was thought at the time to require a medium to vibrate, which was referred to as ether. If light traveled through vibrating ether, then an experiment to measure the travel times of light along Earth’s orbital motion would differ from that of light traveling along a perpendicular path. Efforts to measure the difference led to the Michelson-Morley interferometer and a quite famous experiment that produced the null results (no detection). After repeated efforts and changes to the experiment, always giving the null result, physicists were in a quandary. It appeared the wave properties of light via Maxwell’s equations were inconsistent with some observations.

Early in the twentieth century, it was also becoming obvious that all phenomena on the most microscopic scales obeyed the laws of quantum mechanics (QM), exhibiting both particle and wave properties, called the wave-particle duality. This is the point where Einstein genius came to bear. Einstein began thought experiments, asking questions such as if he were traveling at the speed of light or close to that speed, what would he observe? His quest produced Special Relativity, which revealed that time and the three spatial dimensions formed a single four-dimensional manifold and time and space dilations occurred for objects traveling near the speed of light. These are real distortions – for example, time itself is not independent of observer. It's not something distorting the functioning of the clocks, time itself differs. Moreover, General Relativity built on Special Relativity to account for the effects of gravity. The implications are: space itself and time are distorted under the right circumstances and everything was once again consistent with Maxwell’s EM. (Little of this makes sense to most people since few have first hand experiences in their daily lives. Some individuals go so far as to dismiss out of hand certain concepts.)

Going back to QM, physicists began building ever-bigger particle accelerators. First came cyclotrons, then synchrotrons requiring operational adjustment to account for the Relativistic effects experienced by the particles traveling close to the speed of light. This was one of several confirmation of Relativity and the distortions of time-space. Moreover, when ultra high-speed particles slam into stationary targets, a host of new particles are created in the process. Most particles are relatively short lived – some annihilating with their antiparticles, some decaying, and others simply escaping the accelerator. The combination of Relativity’s distortion of space-time plus the continually creation of particle-antiparticle pairs and other QM particle effects, indicates vacuum of space is something other than empty nothingness. Understanding the vacuum of space is the present-day goal of string theorists and particle accelerators such as Large Hadron Collider. It is also the goal of unified field theorists.

TheAstroChuck 8 Mar 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll tell you why it matters to me. When religionists say there had to be a God because nothing can come from nothing. Wrong! Read some science I tell them. Real scientists. Not new age wankers. There's never nothing. It's not all figured out yet, I understand, but enough to know religious arguments on this, like everything else, are redundant.

We don't and in the whole is it in any kind of way going to affect me, and what i am going to have for breakfast?

@TheAstroChuck What are you saying. My table has always, always been where the cool kids sit, but sometimes I get a bit fed up with them, all this learning and debating, no fun at all.

@TheAstroChuck Sorry I should have put it diffrently. I was one of those "brainy" cool kids and of course learning and debating is great but sometimes one just have to have a break from it.

@TheAstroChuck Every day, from now on I expect obedience and prostration at my feet.

You don't understand what space is.

gater Level 7 Mar 24, 2019

Nice refutation.

@TheAstroChuck Weve been over this - space is infinite - always has been. This concept evades you.

@TheAstroChuck You still don't understand what space is, you're over complicating it - space is simple.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:317163
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.