Agnostic.com

37 3

Fear of Death

Despite the glorious rewards promised in the afterlife by religions, it seems there is a lot of fear of death. I do not fear death. Is this pretty much true of most humanists, freethinkers, agnostics, and atheists?

Elaine57 6 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't want to die but all the same I know I eventually will.... Fear it? No why should I fear what is going to happen fear or no fear? To live a life of fear isn't living...

I feel lucky for the privilege of living at all. I'm a Stoic. It enriches my life.

That depends : yes if it's a slow painful death struggling to breath while oozing bodily fluids , no if it's painless and not too long a illness . Life is way to short , as long as I wake up and see the sun shine and flowers , hear the birds sing,watch my dogs and grand children play I'll take all that I can

Not welcoming it

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 24, 2019

I certainly don't welcome it either but a really deep eternal sleep isn't so terrible.

@ElusiveMoby too much living and loving to do first

@bobwjr It's not possible to do too much of either.

@ElusiveMoby lol no shit

I used to fear death. Now, I anticipate it.

I want to die a most violent, painful, yet heroic death. In other words, in a blaze of glory. (If it were up to me.)

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to die anytime soon, but I'm kind of excited to see what's next when the time does come.

We do not truly die. I believe that our energy lives on.

I've always believed in a life energy , there got to be something that makes the living live . Violent painful heroic death , would you like to add slow to that order

My energy will live on as a sheep dog. I'm not sure how I know this. My energy might be just like all the energy that is around us every day. 🙂

fear of the inevitable is a waste of energy.

I’ve been told by hospice nurses that religious patients are the ones who fight the hardest to avoid death, and their deaths are harder on them as a result. If you believe you have a good place to go, why would you not want to go? Perhaps the ‘original sin, and ‘I’m not worthy’ dogmas are at work here, making them miserable in this life and dreading the next. Monotheists claim they get a lot of benefit from their beliefs. I’m sorry, but I just don’t see it.

My maternal grandmother was a believer, but not a fanatic. She was twice widowed and told me she was scared of going to heaven because one is reunited with loved ones and she didn't what she was going to do with two husbands.

I have a post on this topic you may find interesting (its the oldest of my 3 posts)

there are probably a few ppl here hoping that i'll check out soon. patience..

i've posted it before but here goes again: "i'm not afraid of death, i just don't want to be there when it happens"...Woody Allen.

Fear or not, there is no work around it so, why bother?

I fear death.

Why?

@Elaine57 because I like living. I want to be alive. We are all genetically disposed to be afraid of death.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:318537
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.