Agnostic.com

37 3

Why is it so important to break someone else's faith?

GodlessVoice 5 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not. Next!

JeffB Level 6 Mar 3, 2018

It really isn't to me.

If someone leaves my beliefs alone I try to do the same. Unless they are harming someone (including themselves).

I am happy to leave folks to their delusions as long as they're not trying to sell it to me.

It isa important to foster critical thinking.. Breaking one's faith is something which can only be accomplished by the person himself or herself.

I think it's best to let someone see the light on their own That's how it was for me.

It's not. I abide by the saying "live and let live". If someone has elected to believe in a higher power, an afterlife, heaven and hell, or Bigfoot, it is entirely their prerogative. In the same vein, I'd rather not have people attempt to convert me to their beliefs, so I say it as soon as someone drops the "Jesus is good and yada yada" line by gently informing them of my atheism and asking them to respect my personal lack of faith if they wish me to respect their beliefs. It doesn't always work, and has in fact made people try that much harder to guide me to Jesus, but at least I can say I made an effort.

Seems like most of the people on this site have left religion behind. There is probably some inclination to help others to get away from religion. I look at my leaving as part of a path of finding out what I really believed. After I left, I could tell you in great detail what I didn't believe. And just a little of what I believed. Have been searching for what brings truth and meaning to my life for a long time. I don't feel like it is up to me to break someones faith. They will have to see the light on their own, if they ever do. I do not want them to intrude on my life with their faith. If they can keep it to themselves, then fine.

I think it's not important for the vast majority of us. Most serious pushback against religion happens only when it affects public policy, education, science research, and so on. There are exceptions, of course, as there will always be people who want to impose their will upon others' private lives — though I'd argue that we see less of that in general from secular people than from the religious (but that's only from personal experience and may not be universal).

I'll be honest, I do try and get people, mostly friends to see through the fraud. Just as I would educate them on many htings or advise them not to invest n a scam if I found they were considering it.

To whom is it important? Not me. Everyone needs to decide for themselves what makes sense in this crazy world. If what they have decided works for them, I'm happy they found what makes them happy. It doesn't need to make sense to me or make me happy...I don't even care if they want to tell me about their happy...just don't impose it on me or others.

It's not it is just fun. Albeit admittedly it does get a tiny bit boring over time however thanks to ignorant Atheist who want a religion desperately we have SJWs who put all other religions to shame and even flat earthers to an extent. I guess since most SJWs are twice baked religious people it makes them twice as dense.

Malus Level 4 Mar 3, 2018

Before you ask 'why', ask 'if.'

"If is it so important to break someone else's faith?"? ;P

If somebody's faith can be broken, maybe it should be.

I do not think that is important

Your question implies that there are people seeking to do that. I don't know any of them.
Further, I don't think it's possible to "break" anyone's faith. They have to come to reason and rational thought by themselves. No one can force someone to stop believing, any more than a believer can convert an atheist.
I don't care what anyone believes, as long as they don't try using it to influence public policy, or force it on me.

The purpose of life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

It shouldn't be.

It is a nasty thing to do! What gave you this idea??! I KNOW you didn't see it on this site.........

It is only justified if that person is using their beliefs to somehow force you to do something you don't want to do. But there are also people - analogous to missionaries -- that believe a person will be happier once they realize their belief system is false. Call it Atheist Evangelism. I also believe that if there were more atheist evangelism such that our society would be transformed from faith-based to reason-based, our world would be a much better place for all.

It's not. If you want people to respect you for your non beliefs you should respect their beliefs as long as they aren't hurting others

Thank you for asking this question ! I've seen some comments on this site that not only reek of intolerance, but direct venomous thoughts in the direction of any "believer". While I certainly have seen some holy rollers (as we all likely have), that are obnoxious and invasive to the extreme, most I've been around, are not.
They do their thing, I do mine. Peace

Is not important to me.

Mostly the pure masochist joy of it...also it makes me feel better about the failures in my own life. 😛

If you mean deconvert the religious I think that it can only benefit humanity. I only reciprocate if the other person engages me.

I'm not interested in breaking anyone's faith; I'm interested in helping them when they want to change their own beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32033
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.