Agnostic.com

19 3

Anyone favour a mirror site to this one, but just for atheists and agnostics?

Some time back Admin created a mirror site called humanist.com and didn't think it was that important enough to bother us to see if we liked the idea. Okay. What's done is done.

Well, with more and believers and thinly disguised believers around here, some more annoying than others, I got to thinking how great it would be if there were a mirror site for all clearly stated non believers, definitely excluding all others. I honestly think I would jump ship to that new site, leaving the believers and psuedo believers to prattle on here.

Am I an orphan on this?

• 9 votes
  • 34 votes
David1955 8 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would promote a separate country for non-believers if I could, let alone a separate website. However, neither is practically possible. The real problem is the trolls, and they would find the new site just like they found this one

Stupid idea! It is not what happens on this site that makes us atheists, agnostics, unbelievers. It is what we do every day in your lives.

I don't get your logic, since no one said what happens on this site makes us atheists etc but I'll take your comment as a "no".

Well, that post threw the cat amongst the proverbial pigeons on April 1.

Interesting points. I suspect, though, that overtime believers will increase in number on this site.

We'll see what happens.

Overtime believers? Believers in time and a half over 40 hours?
Agnostics are "atheists in denial?" Interesting (but false) way to put it. Does that mean atheists are "agnostics in denial?" Yeah I think so.

@Storm1752 let me correct my punctuation:" I suspect that, over time, believers will increase.."

I should be more careful with my grammar.

@David1955 haha. I know. Just kidding.

Agnostics are non-believers. They don't believe. They don't NOT believe, either.
YOU want a site for atheists, not agnostics. Then, you'd be out all the fun of eternally debating us agnostics. That argument will never end, sort if like the universe itself.

@Mb_Man i disagree. There are WAY more judgy theists, only becsuse there are way more theists.

@Mb_Man Unfortunately. An agnostic world would be heaven on earth, so to speak. I guess atheists would be tolerated. Theists would have to go to bubble communities on the moon.

I do not understand why any religious "believers" would want to be on this site. Unless, of course, it was to argue with the rest of us rationally-minded thinkers - but if that was their goal, they would just migrate to the other site... WHY set up a mirror site, we have what we want and need here!

They can still pretend to be atheists...

Damn. Never thought of that. 🙂

I like this site. So let the believers lurk. As long as they aren't praying for me, I'm good.

I'm fine here. I don't even let my profile show on Humanist.com. I just scroll on if I see a believer post. Most are scammers anyway. If they bother me directly I just block them.

This is the site for agnostic and atheists. From what I understand a humanist does not believe in deities too. Any believers on either site are in the wrong place and the weight of criticism generally dispels them

Never works.

From my experience, most message boards begin the descent into oblivion once some members want to start an exclusive community because they don’t happen to like what other members have to say.

The problem with creating a gated community is that growth stagnates, no fresh personalities and ideas are introduced and sooner or later the core members are at one another’s throats. The whole thing becomes a Lord Of The Flies scenario.

Trolls and scammers are a part of life on the internet. People need to grow a spine and deal with it.

"Grow a...." oops, "spine" was not what I imagined ... LOL

Not possible

The site is fine. No more mirror-sites, please.
Humanist.com is a mirror-site, and I have no interest in it.

You can't screen out people who bullshit on the Q&As and besides it's great sport ripping the scammers a new asshole.
But if the bogus ones get on your tits just block them.
And finally.....Admin can do what they like with the site, if you don't like...leave.

"Well, with more and believers and thinly disguised believers around here, some more annoying than others,"

Any examples, i am not seeing this at all my self (likely because i usually hanf out in the more deviant groups lol .. scammers and xtians either don't go there or stick out like a sore thumb) lol

I didn't vote but I see what you are saying. I also belong to Atheist Nexus but I am on this site mostly now.

To me its mostly a question of labeling. That's why they have the check boxes to show how you identify.

MsAl Level 8 Apr 1, 2019

Agnostic.com really already is the mirror site you speak of. The perceived problem is the humanist.com mirror site, all of whose users are on both sites, brining in theists.

However I am not sure this is the real problem. Most of the god-botherers I have bumped into are just poorly set up scammer profiles with generic fluff for posts. One simply ignores them or waits for them to be "disfellowshipped" as it were. Who knows if those are signing up via one site or the other. What is clear is that they aren't here to proselytize in any intentional way ... they are here to scam, and professed adherence to theism is just a way to disarm the mark by pretending to identify with them. In other words I doubt they have the foggiest what kind of users they will even encounter here.

Second point: we are not the fragile snowflakes that many theists are. It is no sort of threat to have them among us. Let the believers see us as an existential threat; that's no reason it should work in reverse. What are they to us? They will get nowhere here, not because they are theists, but because they aren't critical thinkers. Except ...

... except that a few are, and when it comes to, e.g. liberal Christians, we have a lot of common cause with them for the most part. They will possess the egalitarian, progressive sentiments most of us will. Their faith does not override their compassion and integrity. Humanists will mostly be that sort of believer, because one of the bogeymen of Christian Fundamentalism is the dreaded "secular humanism" and its "social gospel".

Third point: I've participated extensively in 3 similar sites in the past and the number of people metaphorically singing "Onward Christian Trollers" is FAR worse than this site on a bad day. If I had to guess as to why, I think it is an accident of how Agnostic.com is perceived as a less than attractive target for Christian apologists to "practice" on us compared to a label that contains "atheist" or "atheism" in its branding; that, and the fact this is in part a dating site, and that's off-putting for prudes to consider sullying themselves with.

All in all ... it's a self limiting problem, to the extent it's even a problem.

??

I agree. I have a lot of confidence that the general population can handle the scammers and pin headed trolls on our own, with occasional support from the group and site admins. Having said that, if someone went to the trouble of creating a site like that and spent the time and effort promoting it, I'd take a look. But I'm with Mordant, it's not necessary.

Good points, all.

This one works okay for me. I don’t want a place where we all agree with each other, solely. It would just be a talking shop and be extremely boring if we didn’t have other, contrary views.

Nah, no need. Its easy enough to block or ignore them.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 1, 2019

Yeah I like it here. Don't see a need, at least not yet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:322383
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.