Agnostic.com

10 10

Sixteen years ago today, I married my ex. I ended it one year, four months, and twenty-four days ago. He moved out roughly eight months ago, but he only finished moving his stuff out five months ago.

I don't miss him. I don't miss a single thing about him. My life is exponentially better without him in it.

I think I'm still mourning the time I lost to that relationship. I'm not sure. I can't name why I'm crying. Maybe it's because I still feel that I failed, that I wasn't enough to keep the two of us together. That somehow I should have been able to fix him.

I'm not looking for advice here. I'm just letting it out. Thanks for "listening."

Nottheonlyone 7 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ouch that stuff is rough.

I think admitting a big mistake is extremely hard. I say that without any knowledge of you or your relationship or any training.

That's how I think I feel.

I won't give advice then, only say. You will get over it.

From reading your post I think you know exactly what you're going through. Of course, as you and most of the rest of us have discovered, it doesn't make it any easier. It still can be fucking painful. Peace.

Thank you.

I can understand your feelings. I left a terrible marriage after over 30 years of really trying. Yes, I regretted the wasted time in that relationship. But pne cannot dwell on the "lost" time if one is to have a life. Chalk it up to experiene and move on. Just don't make the same mistakes again.

I do not wish to punish her, but I will never be able to forgive my first wife for persiting in behavior that she knew was destroying our relationship. But, I want nothing to do with her ever again.

I found a very different person and we have been happly married for almost 23 years.

I don't know if I'll ever forgive my ex.... I don't know that I need to. I think I'm just upset with myself for allowing so much of what happened, even now, when my life is exponentially better. Even my son agrees that life is better now. (I was pleased to heart him volunteer that statement.)

@Nottheonlyone Don't even be concerned about forgiving your ex. Just focus on moving on with your life, on making life good for yourself. My ex used to say to me, "You will grow old alone and miserable." Her own punishment for her behavior is that she has grown old alone, with her daughters tolerating her, but spending as little time as they can with her. I actually feel sorry for her, but she did it to herself.

I'm glad that you have found your happy place. I'm on my way!

If you think you have to fix another person that is on you. If they like who they are, and I don't know that he did, there is nothing to fix. All relationships are not meant to last forever. People and circumstances change. DON'T Beat yourself up. Sorry, you got advice anyway.🙂

I know I don't. At the time, I tried, but it wasn't within my power.

@Nottheonlyone I am sorry you are going through this. Please don't look at it as failure. This was not a path you were on by your self.

It's okay. On days that are not-what-would-have-been-my-anniversary, I'm fine. I promise. I'm in therapy, I journal daily, I exercise, I create art, I spend time with friends, etc. So I get to have an emotional day every once in a while.

@Nottheonlyone l think most people have those days. It's healthy.

@Troy His mental illness developed after the wedding.

@Nottheonlyone I have seen the Jeykel and Hyde thing happen.

It wasn't like that. It was a slow decline after four (more or less) happy years.

@Nottheonlyone That is just sad and out of your control.

Trite as it always sounds (and always will), it is a death of sorts. Of a life, a way of life. Of lives. An identity. There is a life outside of this. It's hard to see it through the cloud that is divorce or the end of a relationship. As trite as what people say "it gets better" .... and I heard it so mucking futch, it really does get better! But you have to be willing to work at it. It's not a chore if you want to feel better. It's a labor of love ... for ones self! Get a good counselor, if you don't have one! I love & respect mine. I've done IOP (intensive out patient) also. Watch TED talks on you tube about motivation! Get involved in volunteer organizations! You can move on and be great! Saying I feel great ote even just good is cathartic and self actualizing!

Uncas Level 4 Mar 4, 2018

I'm actually doing quite well, just these little reminders seem to get me down.

wow im amazed you know exactlt the time you were together. i feel the same about the lost years but it wasnt a prison so partly my fault and im not that unhappy.

I am sorry for your loss.

I hope you feel better soon

I imagine I'll feel better in the morning!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32322
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.