Agnostic.com

29 2

I am really down about my new job. It's harder than anything I've ever had to learn (immunogenetics) and yet it's more money than I've ever made before in my life.

I don't think I should have taken it because while I'm managing to slog through it, I'm really unhappy. I'm gone from 6:38 am and not home until 7:05 pm (the job itself is 8 hours) and I'm overwhelmed with all I have to learn.

I'm in training but finding the whole process draining and depressing. I got really sick my second week there and the next generation sequencing I'm doing has a bazillion steps to it and I am finding myself just so sad about it, but I am faking it to my coworkers and manager any time I'm asked how it's going.

I cry about this almost daily, either before work or after. Today I'm trying to type up pages and pages of notes I've taken and I just don't want to.

When I try to talk to my sister and two of my friends about it, they say "think of the kids" and "think of the money" and "you can do it, I believe in you". And while I think that I can eventually do it, this is only the first phase of MANY new things I have to learn and when you work in a hospital lab, there are so many times that there will be STAT cases where you have to rush to do your work.

I have never found a job that I thought I couldn't handle, but I think I finally have.

I'm going to try to stick it out for a while longer, because I have credit cards I need to pay while I was laid off for a few months.

But I was just wondering, how long would you stay in a job that you knew was bad for your emotional/physical health?

Sciencemama 6 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A bad job is a miserable existence. That said, the hardest part of any job is the beginning, especially if it is technical. It sounds like it is a job you can take pride in, what you are going is important and beneficial. I would have a tendency to stick it out for a while longer. Good paying jobs are hard to come by.

Yeah, I totally know that good paying jobs are hard to come by. And I've had several new jobs so I know the beginnings are always tough.

I just kinda wasn't even expecting to get this job, so when I was offered a really great pay, I would have been stupid to turn it down. But at the same time, I had no idea I wasn't going to feel this way after taking it.

Please read the blog AskAManager.org. She is an HR person who answers questions like yours. You can even email her and she will give you advice. She talks about office culture and politics, do you fit your job, good management, cover letters, resumes, interviewing.

Also consider talking to your manager. S/he needs to know you are struggling. Maybe s/he will have suggestions of how to do it better.

I have struggled with my job, though not nearly as high level as yours. My manager has been awesome at getting extra training for me. My company has a great culture, great managers, lots of coaching.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. And I'll think about what exactly to say to my manager. He's a nice enough guy...but...Idk...kinda hard to read and while he comes by to check on us often, I am not sure how effective he actually is.

Five years. -10/10 do NOT recommend.

6 months for me, I walked out. I could not handle the stress, crying all the time, developed migraines. Its not worth your mental health, it wasn't for me anyway. I had actually planned my suicide it was that bad.

I don't want to "like" this, because you were planning suicide, but I totally understand that feeling.

I'm sorry it was so bad for you and yet I'm glad you understand what that is like. It's a terrible thing. I'm glad you are still here.

I'll quit before it gets that bad though.

my last job I was puking at work and didnt even have headaches. and crying. not worth it

@btroje oh wow. i'm sorry. I have felt nauseous a couple of times, but fortunately didn't throw up.

I suffered heart attacks as a result of stress while putting on crininal defense trials. Money is not worth your health. I scaled back after the bypasses and my life is much much better. I'd say ASAP.

Oh, dear. I'm sorry that happened. As an aside, I worked in forensics and used to have to go testify in trials, and while that was stressful, the training program was very thorough. I left forensics after 5 years due to the stress, because I always wanted to vomit just before going to testify.

The training I'm getting is okay, but the new version of our SOP isn't even finished and I'm supposed to be learning from a copy that still has hand written notes all over it.

I try to tough it out, but if I just am so miserable and it isn't getting better I cut my losses.

Money's great but if you're miserable it isn't worth it. You should never work at a job that makes you feel like dying would be preferred.

My job, I love it and hate it, so I've stuck around. I love it because it's helping others and I'm not bad, but I hate it because it gets stressful and emotionally draining.

What is the project you are working on? I will understand if you can't say.

My lab is an organ transplant lab so we need to match organ recipients to organ donors. It's cool in concept....

did that for 1 day, it takes a brave move to realize , a wrong decision, got new job with lower pay, but happy and now retired after 48 years , go with your gut reaction

I really want to be happy and feel I'm in a good place. Thanks for the input.

Its easy to get discouraged during the learning process. But imagine that you have stuck with it and gotten good at it. At that point do you think it will have been worth the effort? Or is it something that you will always hate?

MarqG Level 5 Mar 4, 2018

I don't know. I physically often don't feel well. Some days I'm actually dizzy in the middle of the day and that worries me.

I thought I'd be able to stay at least a year. But the way I am physically reacting to this job...I'm not so sure I'll stay past 3 months (about the time my first training block is over).

@Sciencemama have you had the basics like your blood pressure checked?

@Sciencemama and, do not forget fluid intake! Just recently I found out exactly what not enough fluid can do...let's just say i drink something on a regular basis, now!

@btroje I get to schedule a health checkup for free, so soon I'll get that checked out. and yes, I was definitely not getting enough water at least a couple of days.

@Freedompath Yes dehydration can be deadly, and it's unbelievable how quickly it can happen.

Do you have a probationary period on this new job? How long is it? If it's, say 12 weeks, that doesn't seem like a period that you couldn't make it through, even if you're quite unhappy. If it's longer than 12 weeks, say 26 weeks (or 6 months), that may be a different thing, if there are no preliminary reviews before then. Have you in any way expressed your apprehension to any of your co-workers, or your immediate manager? Do you, so far, get along with your colleagues? Any hint of whether or not they will be supportive if they perceive that you're struggling?

At any rate, it is hardly possible for one to advise on a situation where one is not directly involved, but you can consider such things as noted above. Best of luck to you

I am supposed to get a review at 1 month, 2 months and 3 months. I think anyway.

My colleagues seem nice but I am starting to hear about the parts of the job that stress them out. And they are all beat by the end of the week, don't really have much fun outside of work it seems. But they are young, too, and none of them have kids, so it's hard to compare what I'm going through with what they are. They only have themselves to worry about when they go home. I go home to my kids and all their needs.

Why such long hours?

That seems like too much time for a work day. Exhausting.

Anyone would be worn out.

The commute is the car to the train, the train.to the station, and a 1.5 mile walk. In order to get there on time and get a parking spot at the station I have to leave early. I get to the lab 45 minutes before my shift starts and I can't catch the earlier train on the way home because it comes 10 minutes after I clock out and the walk is 20 minutes.

If you keep crying before and after your job start sending out your resume. Not kidding, this can depress your immunity and sometimes we pay too much for the money

I know all about immune disorders. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis that was under control. I worry I'll have issues again.

@Sciencemama I am sure you do. sometimes we in the business blind ourselves to our own vulnerability I have. I am really feeling your post and hope the best for you

@btroje that, and the fact when you have kids, I want to do better by them, even if that meant putting my own health at risk. I thought I could handle it. I don't know for sure now.

This sounds so horrible. I ve never worked a job that I was unhappy with. Life is short work is long. Be happy at what you do or do something different. But this is all just my phylosophy.

I had such high hopes for this, but I also worried I might be in over my head.

I hope you can find happiness. Sometimes it’s not in a job.

@Tony80223 oh, i get that. unfortunately, this job makes me want to go home and dive in bed.

You cannot expect to be perfectly comfy or confident in Any new job.....Stop being so hard on yourself! Also, have you given yourself credit for still feeling physically drained after being sick and still powering on? Typing "pages & pages of notes" may not be the most productive use of your time right now either...are they legible? Then just get a binder and organize them for now. Use that time to take a break & recharge your energy and give yourself time to learn & absorb!

I gave up on typing out the notes and did housework instead. 🙂

The notes are legible enough but.not sequential. Whatever part I was asked to watch/follow along with and we didn't start at the beginning and my notes kind of jump around.

I have to be able to memorize all the steps at some point. Typing it out would help.

Key words... "all to learn". When you leave... take the experience and knowledge learned with you.

Oh, I totally will. And I'll ask more thorough questions next time so I know just how much is involved.

@Sciencemama And there is no better way to investigate what other positions available... you may be able to create connections in other departments and position yourself for a lateral move in the future... Opportunity!!!!

Hi there, sorry to hear about your struggles! It seems that you are trying really hard to gain an upper hand in your new job, but things are just too overwhelming. I was in a similar situation two years ago. I had a nervous breakdown in my second year of grad school. I was ready to quit, I hated it so much. I talked to my adviser, and I was honest about everything. We started planning crisis management. I went into therapy to basically understand what is it that I truly wanted and was fine with doing. Long story short, I love what I do now and I didn't quit. Once I caught up and got a bit more versed, the anxiety diminished. You have to be brutally honest with yourself, and if you are only in it for money, leave. If the learning curve is too steep, but the work itself is interesting, maybe it's worth sticking it out. I'm really happy that I did. Best of luck to you and hope you join us in our Scientists sandbox!

Hello back!

That's very valuable insight.

I had to stay late last night. Walked the 1.5 miles while getting pelted with tiny hail. But I missed the 615 train and had to take the 724 train home, increasing my chances of getting mugged. I spent some time in a nearby bookstore to stay safe and bought two books while I waited (a book of illustrations for my partner and a biography of Jack Kerouac for myself for super cheap).

I got home at 830 and after dinner I spent some time writing the procedure down for how to use the gel capture system. I asked my trainer yesterday if any of this stuff was written down and she said no. But she was wrong. There is a whole SOP on how to use the Biorad Imaging system and exactly how to save and export the files. I read it during week 1 (3 weeks ago) and forgot it existed.

I can access the SOPs from home, well all except the NGS version 2 that isn't finished yet. The only copy i have is the 78 page that is not numbered and clipped together. And yesterday the clip fell off and the pages fell to the floor.

I feel like this entire experience is much harder than it should be.

My employer is certainly not making it easy to learn this stuff.

And everything has to go so fast because there are so many steps....

@Sciencemama sorry you have such a crappy trainer!! Staying later after work is one of the things I had to accept when i went into the science altogether. It sounds like for you staying this late may be too dangerous. Obviously everyone can also benefit from better instruction management. In the long run, I always remember this: life is too short to do something that makes you miserable. Weigh all the pros and cons and see where you can compromise, and where you absolutely cannot. Walking away from something that makes you only miserable and doesn't reward you is not worth it

Been there done that, worst was I was in a situation and needed the money and stayed in job for 8 years after I decided I had to get out.
Fascinating subject, well beyong my ken and skill set. Autoimmune and cancer are 2 things I am interested in as a lay person, I find a strong link between the two. I play with tacrolimus and imiquimod to raise and lower immune responses, no undertanding whatsoever on the genetic side of things. I can get the body to attack precencerous and cancerous cells using imiquimod to increase the immune response and tacrolimus to reduce or prevent an immune response that is causing problems.

That's really interesting. I always wondered about that. You want a certain immune response but somtimes I have thought that too much of a response can be too much. It sounds like a delicate balancing act.

I am only beginning to learn the genetics behind immune responses myself.

@Sciencemama The balancing act is a nightmare, down here where we have such sun exposure that transplant patients on anti rejection meds such as tacrolimus are at an amazing risk from skin cancers. So looking at treatments such imiquimod for intraepithelial neoplasia and prophylactic nicotinamide to prevent/reduce incidence of carcinomas. Huge learning curve for me as I don't have a medical background. I suffer from pterygia had one removed last year, but am experimenting with tacrolimus drops in the other to at least reduce the severity. All good fun, not, but I learn faster than anyone I have ever met in my life so it keeps life interesting.

@Rugglesby I was wondering where you were so I looked at your profile. Yes, definitely Australia would be a high risk location. Living waay up north I don't get nearly enough sun at all. And now that I'm in the sub-basement of the hospital, I don't even get windows, which alone makes this kind of a shitty workplace environment. I'm at a higher risk from depression because I'm not getting any natural light coupled with being too flippin' emotionally sensitive in general.

You sound a lot like me, someone who researches the hell out of things trying to make for better outcomes. I wish you the very best of luck with that.

I just read that a few patients have already died even before they were able to get their transplants. I feel sad for them. Another reason why I'm not so sure I'm cut out for this job. We won't be able to help everyone that comes through our doors. They die before a match comes through.

@Sciencemama Surprisingly we seem to get enough organs, we almost never allow live doners, parent to child being the rare exception, and still rare. We do lose people through lack or a match, but not often. To be eligible to go on the short list here you have to be pretty certain of dying within the next 12 months and have a better than 80% chance of surviving beyond 5 years post transplant. I gets SAD, seasonal affective disorder. Lack of sunshine in winter causing a drop in seratonin. So I avoid office jobs, caused me lots of problems many years ago, never seeing daylight. Re the job, we all have losses, but if you get one win, one life saved or improved, that is more than many people achieve.

You know how people say you can do/be anything if you put your mind to it? Well that's just not true for most people. You are too smart to do something that makes you miserable.

Yes, I've know people to say that. I think I have even said that myself. But I ALSO have said that anything anyone didn't feel up to the challenge for, they could give themselves some compassion and go easy on themselves.

There are some jobs you love that you will devote all your energies to and it never makes you feel miserable. You have that happy tired by the end of it.

This is not one of those jobs that gives me that feeling.

I was doing better, and then I had two days where I made mistakes. I am having a panicky feeling knowing I have to face my manager tomorrow and let him know how I think I messed up.

I have so, so much stress doing this job and I just am afraid I'm going to have a nervous breakdown soon.

Is this just a short-term through the learning process that it is miserable or do you really not enjoy the work once you fully grasp it

I was having terrible anxiety that would make my mind blank out at times and my hands shake. The last two days have been better.

I am getting the hang of some parts of this. And trying not to panic when I forget parts.

It's still too early to say I enjoy it. The daily headaches, nausea and anxiety make enjoying anything hard.

Oh, there is one super nice thing. Aleksander. He's one of the trainees hired in November.

He is so amazingly kind and he is a touchy-feely kind of person, so he will touch your shoulder to say goodbye and makes sure he actually comes to you to give you a personal goodbye.

Today, he told me to make sure I have some of the treats he brought and said he needs to make sure I gain 5 pounds during my training.

So, it helps a little.

I'll give you the same advice I just gave my son...give it some time. BUT, keep an eye out for an opportunity to find a job that doesn't make you miserable. No amount of money is worth your peace of mind.

All I have to say right now is Grrrr.

More later.

Just about the money. If you have a nervous breakdown you will be even further in the hole. And treatment costs a bomb and puts you off work for years. A job that reduces you to tears on a daily basis is a false economy.

Ask for help/guidance bring honest will work to your favour rather than making a mess if things

I finally got out of a horrific work situation (bad management and HR so different reasons) and the change it has made in my life is tremendous. That being said, talk to your managers and tell them you are stuggling. They can't help you if they don't know. If they are not willing to help you, I'd say then you are justified in leaving, but they might be able to offer support and advice. It may turn out to be a great job if you have managers who are willing to be good managers.

Remi Level 7 Mar 5, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.