Agnostic.com

20 1

Does advertising effect your purchases, ? When did you last purchase something because it was advertised? or is it all a con?

magicwatch 7 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not a con. Ads work on most people. My main employer of the last 10 years have been ad agencies. I hate the industry now - especially in the last 3 years. It's become a lot more sexist and casually racist. A friend at another agency said that his Creative Director defended Harvey Weinstein's predatory methods. I used to think it was "cool" to work in an ad agency.

The grand-daddy of subliminal messaging through ads is Edward Bernays, a nephew of Sigmund Freud. For example: he popularised the act of smoking as a symbol of women's rights by encouraging the Suffragettes to smoke during their marches. He literally designed cigarette ads around the women's liberation movement.

I put the blame on him for false advertising and all the techniques surrounding that aspect of the industry. E.g. PR, interview deflection techniques (ALA Kelly Conway and Sarah Sanders), confusing but very "shiny" messaging that is actually misinformation and/or lies, etc.

Before Bernays, advertising was more informational. Compare the print ad for a car from 1913 that I've attached.

@evidentialist: Have you seen this video of Derren Brown, a mentalist, and two ad creatives who fell for his subliminal messages? Has this been debunked? It's an old clip - 8 or 9 years old.

@SamKerry -- Yes, I have. I'm a big fan of Derren Brown. No, so far as I know everything Brown has done has been legit in terms of being open to scrutiny by anyone.

There is a con element for new products wherein a market has to be created where there was none before. My dad was a sought after ad man in Hollywood and I, regrettably, worked in the industry too. Dad was good at creating need out of thin air. In advertising, THAT is the con.

@evidentialist ahhh yeah, that's a con. I took that "con" bit in the original post as a question on whether advertising works or not,

I honestly don't mind some ads that are about products I'm interested in, it can help be informative on a certain level. Some Jack In The Box ads are pretty funny. Most ads, however, I don't even remember what they were about 5 seconds after they're gone.

Most stuff I buy that has been ad influenced, I've also researched to an appropriate degree, if it's a costly purchase.

Advertising when it informs can be helpful. I recently purchased a new doorbell unit. Advertising told me about a batteryless model. I did some investigation and found a good quality reasonably priced unit. I do not like repetitious advertising and "deals" that aren't really deals at all

There are certain products that I refuse to buy because their advertising is so offensive to me...

It is all a con.

I was working on an advertising degree (before I ran out of money for college) and I think it depends on the demographic if it works or not. Sales advertising work amazing well since a lot of people only buy thing that are discounted, and those who have weaker "wills?" are also very susceptible to adverts. For example, people whom are raised believing that Fox news is the only news and the TV never lies tends to buy the as seen on TV stuff with out blinking, because TV ads. As for the thinking demographics, no, ads don't work the way the advertisers want. For these demographics ads become more of, - "hey this thing exists, we thought you may want to know" not the "buy me now, because you're going to anyway".

I personally ignore most ads, but I wouldn't be here without the one I saw on Facebook.

My immediate response was "no". I usually pay no attention to advertising. Then I remembered my last book purchase...doh! I think a lot depends on what is being advertised, for example I would not have discovered this site had it not been for a Facebook ad.
If we all think/know advertising is a con, then perhaps we need to work on our self-control when it comes to buying things we didn't know we needed until we saw it advertised...(note to self)

Advertising makes me aware of products, I may never purchase the brand advertised.

Of course advertising is for one reason and one reason only. To get money out of your pocket into "theirs". But that doesnt upset me. Some things I see advertised and I buy. And I am usually happy that I did buy and I enjoy my purchase. But I have a brain and use it. I chose what I allow myself to spend money on and what I don't.

NZVee Level 4 Mar 5, 2018

I hasten to point out the obvious here. Advertising works. The psychology behind advertising is sound and proven. This is why advertising agencies, copywriters like myself, ad production companies, and associated industries exist. If it didn't there would be no flashy signs, sales, or window dressers.

Is it a con? In some respects, yes. However, if you have a factory manufacturing left-handed veeblefetzers, it pays to let people know about it. Here's where the con part of this comes into play. If you are the only veeblefetzer manufacturer in the country, you have a corner on the market, but if the people are not made aware of their need for veeblefetzers, there won't be a market to sell to, will there? So, you generate a need for your product, knowing all the while that in producing a market you are also inviting competition that will begin popping up here and there. To make sure you keep a good share of the market you created, you advertise.

Simple.

The only way advertising affects me is if I didn't know such a product existed, then I might buy it if interested. Most of the time it doesn't affect me much, I go by what brands, etc I have found to be good.

Well, it makes me aware that the product exists. I can't buy it if I don't know about it. However, it doesn't make me buy something I don't want.

no it doesnt

The proud answer that suggests total independence of thought and perogative would be "no." But I can only say advertising doesn't control me, doesn't "make me buy," but it can certainly plant a seed. Some products I would never even know exist if it weren't for advertising.

Advertisers always appeal to our sense of emotions rather than logic. For example, if an advertiser wanted you to buy some cologne or perfume, they might try and convince you directly or indirectly that you would be a loser if you did not buy this cologne but you would be popular and wonderful if you did buy that cologne or perfume. I also like to wait when I want something. If I am still thinking about it hours, days or weeks later then chances are I will be happy if I buy it. But if I forget about it two hours later then I know it isn't super important to me. I find knowing this helps me evaluate carefully rather I want a product or not.

To be even more clear about how little advertising affects me, I haven't actively watched television in years, listen primarily to public radio, and get my music and video (tv and movie) fixes in ad-free ways whenever possible.

Even when we think critically we CAN be influenced. Billions of dollars are spent on advertising every year because it works and none of us have 100% immunity.

Definitely not. Most of everything that is advertised is tested on animals or run by huge corporations. I like to keep my morals in tact and refuse to support either of those if it can be avoided.

I'm less likely to purchase things I see advertised. Besides, most 'brand' name products have cheaper generic alternatives which are usually just as good.

It rarely effects or affects my purchases. I tend to look for products based on their qualities, then make a purchase decision based on a balance of desired qualities and value per unit of currency.

Mostly, I find that the most heavily advertised products, much like religion, seem to be worse, the more they are shouted about from mountains and rooftops and such.

with you on that

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32666
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.