Agnostic.com

12 2

Superstitious

So obviously I don't believe in spirituality at all but find myself being quite superstitious. Anyone else experience this?

Briskovich 4 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not at all. Not even a tiny bit. Sometimes I think that makes me sound really boring to people who are superstitious and/or believers of some stripe or another.

Last week a co-worker excitedly talk about why they are x because they are a Virgo and I looked at them quizzically. I can see the 'she is so annoying with all her non-belief' wheels spinning in their brain. At least that's my assumption, which we all know could be completely off base.

Yeah, sidewalk cracks, ladders, umbrellas indoors, black cats -- none of it.

Even ladders?? I need therapy!! ????

Lololol!!! @Briskovich

I'm not superstitious, I see no reason to be. The brain is a powerful thing though. If you think you will have bad luck, you may indeed be altering the way in which you make decisions or perceive your experiences. People who think they are lucky tend to be more optimistic by nature.

Haha. I do a little bit. I, by no means, believe in God or anything supernatural, but do have a ritual of putting my right shoe on first every day. I tested my superstition out once, and my father had a stroke and died. I know it's just coincidence, but still have a hard time not doing it. But that's the only thing.

Wayno Level 3 Mar 5, 2018

Yes!! Like I have a bunch of "lucky" rituals I do. Quirky things like that.

My footy jersey is the oldest one in the team. I organise the team and so order our team shirts. The composition of team changes from season to season - except for 2 or 3 core players. I could order a new shirt for myself - but I don't. I like wearing that old, faded shirt. They're well made, too. It has lasted 8 or 9 years now. Even the screen-printed number in the back is still intact with no sign of flaking. With 2 competition seasons a year, and 2 or 3 games per week, my shirt has seen plenty of game time.

Its not really superstition, I suppose. Because if it is, the jersey is bad luck. We've lost more grand finals (whenever we make it) than win. 😛

No

I do a few personal superstitions and self-created numerology for my own entertainment. There are plenty of times when I get bored easily, so I constantly have to create new ways to amuse myself. Most of it is watching for patterns in numbers and finding prime numbers in everyday life. I’ve also found this stuff relieves low-level anxieties on hard days. But again, it’s for my entertainment more than it is a belief system.

When I hear my ear ring, my first thought is someone is talking about me. Then I laugh at myself. Stupid!

@MrLizard wishful thinking?

Haha I have heard that if its the right ? its ridicule and if the left its ?

To become a rational thinker means to remove the irrational. Superstitions are among that class of things known as irrational. So, no, I don't have this problem at all.

As odd as it sounds, I choose to "believe" in superstitions sometimes just becase I find them entertaining or interesting. I don't really put stock in them but I like to entertain the idea. Similar to how people who like to be scared watch horror movies and get into the fear. But no, nothing legitimate

I do too, but I'm sure my "superstion" is a slight OCD thing. If I don't do something something bad will happen. I think ithat sometimes, but know it makes no sense.

Maybe that's what it is for me.

Not I, the only superstitions that a place any stock in are those based in certain safety issues like, walking under ladders.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.