Agnostic.com

8 8

A steep hike up Mt. Sauer today

Today Gro, Susan and I hiked to the summit of Mt. Sauer and beyond. It's a steep trail, gaining 2,000 feet of elevation over 3 miles. My legs were cramping as I reached the summit.

Wildflowers opened in the sunshine, creating washes of color. Looked like it snowed flowers!

At the top, howling 50 mph winds were piercing cold, blowing off mountain snowfields.

At the summit, a woman with a rescued German Shepard was struggling to keep the dog under control. "Let's keep going for a little," Gro suggested.

Down steeply we went on the north side. Then climbed up to a ridge. On we went.

"How far are we going?" I thought, limping. We found a lovely, sunny spot on the lee side of the mountain for lunch. (This added another two miles and elevation gain.)

Descending, we spotted stacked logs on a steep hillside that had been selectively logged. "How will they get those logs down?" we wondered.

Here's an article I wrote about hiking Mt. Sauer in 2018.

[bloggingthegoodlife.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nice. Not many hikes here in Philly.....

Adirondack Mt.. nearby

I would love to visit Washington though

@AmmaRE007 Yep, I have a daughter in Seattle.

Yet again, you leave me jealous! I hope the trip was much more beautiful than the photos.

@Holysocks

With photos, it's hard to capture the grandeur of mountain vistas and washes of flowers on hillsides.

Great photos. Has the area been logged recently or have the logs been there for some time ?. Looks like a lot of valuable timber there.

@Moravian

Nearby east hillsides were recently selectively logged to prevent massive forest fires. Trees are spaced apart, much better for the environment than clear cutting.

I really miss Washington State. So many wonderful hikes. One day I will get back there for a long visit.

Beautiful! I'm jealous.

I must go to Washington State. I live in the Okanagan in Canada, so the trek is minimal.

Stunning, I am jealous seeing elevations.

MizJ Level 8 Apr 10, 2019

Beautiful. I'll be in Seattle in a month for my aunt's 90th birthday party. Then off for a few days to Olympic Park.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:327900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.