Agnostic.com

26 3

Does where you live have any regional peculiarities that confuse visitors?

Here we give directions chronologically, not by distance. For example: Go 10 minutes down the road then hang a left. If you hit the lake, you’ve gone too far. And everything is only 20 minutes away.

We also pronounce Cuyahoga differently depending on what it’s in reference to. Cuya-HOG-a for the county. Cuya-HOE-ga for the river. It’s spelled the same regardless.

We say “pop,” and not “soda.”

PeppermintDreads 7 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh where to start. I'm from Scotland we have a lot of odd ways to give directions of describe stuff. You say hood on a car we say bonnet you say pop or side we say juice you say trunk we say boot. We use third left or second right over the bridge third left straight over the roundabout and it's on the left lol. Scots words are funny where you might say toilet we might say, loo or crapper. U use gallons we use litres. We'd say Loch were u call it a lake. It can be really confusing

My sister dated a doctor from Ireland. One day I was visiting and her told me that he had to "collect" my sister. It took me several minutes to realize he was talking about picking her up from work.

@kiramea yip we say that in Scotland to and the shopping is going for the messages lol

@Gwendolyn2018 defo cultural diversity is good though lol

@MrLizard well you can do that too lol

@Gwendolyn2018 kool Kelso has a long history it's a beautiful wwe place I'm from near Edinburgh but now in Ayr on West coaat

@Gwendolyn2018 the highlands are awesome

@Gwendolyn2018 I live on the coast but the there is an island just off the coast it has a beautiful big mountain on it plus the Highlands are only an hour away so its kool

@Gwendolyn2018 not a problem anytime

@Gwendolyn2018 okidokii sounds good

Go to first street and go west on Southern blvd or go north on this street. People from New york tells me they don't know where north or west is. I have to tell them how to face north, and where the ocean is located, where the sun rises is always east in Florida.

I suppose the biggest thing here on the Isle of Wight is that when you are on the ferry you have to turn your watch back 25 years, it's a bit retro here lol 🙂

In Texas we use hours to define distance. “Just take I-10 for two hours and you’ll be there.”

After ya get to the "top of the hill" take ya second left

I am originally from Cleveland and reading thi brought a mile to my face. I have lived in South Florida now for over 25 years and we have some differences. It is "Soda not Pop" here and after 5 or 6 years you learn that. Distance are measured in time in the more urban areas and distance in the Keys and North of Palm Beach area. Yes, in Cleveland it was always twenty minutes whether a mile or 50 miles. and the correct pronounciation does depend on whether it is the County or River.

In the Florida Keys, everything is "mile marker". It's around Mile Marker 50 and you turn left by the Publix. They also do not "put things away" but rather "put things up" as in I need to put my groceries up.

We use both away and up when referring to putting the groceries where they belong.

Texans tend to say "coke" for all soft drinks.
The pronunciations make no sense.
Mexia? Refugio? Guess again. It's silly, but we are all gritting our teeth at the "mispronunciations" during Hurricane Harvey.
Directioning sounds similar. Hang a right at the second Stripes.

When I lived in Virginia (I'm from Texas) my then boyfriend kept telling me to pronounce things "like a Virginian". We once got in an argument about something I pronounced stating that there was no "n" in the name. I immediately wrote down Kuykendahl and asked him to pronounce it. Of course he couldn't pronounce it. When I told him what it was, he was pissed, asking where the "r" was. I told him not every country pronounces things the same way Americans do. He never bitched at me about pronunciation after that.

I'm from Michigan and in our Upper Peninsula, there's a popular food item called a pasty (pass-tee). It's kind of a cross between a calzone and a pot pie. Outsiders usually think only of pasties (the jaunty nipple covers, which are pronounced pay-stee), and are confused and sometimes disapproving. It's kinda fun to watch them work it all out mentally before they finally order one (plain, with gravy, or with ketchup).

People from out of state come to Austin and think this is what Texas is like. Boy are they fucking wrong!

Head west along this street, then take the 3rd last street to the right.

The neighbors here say good morning with gunshots and the birds sing lovely songs.

Here in Thailand, people have distinct names for small localities, intersections, etc. like they do in Haiti, instead of using the western custom of naming streets and cardinal directions. That's because, as in Haiti, roads don't run north/south, some roads spiral, and even in Songkhla, intersections can have five or more streets crossing each other.

Luckily, most Thai are good at describing how to get somewhere using their hands to illustrate where you should go; I.e. go straight (they point their hand in the correct direction), curve to the left at the intersection (they swoop their hand to the left, while bending their fingers backwards, to indicate the curve) and it's on the right, on the corner (indicating a right hand bend with their hand). They also tell me the names of the local areas, but I ignore this, since I'm usually not familiar with them.

If you get lost in my neck of the woods, you are lost 80 miles to the nearest city.

Here people vote for Trump, cook meth and date their sister

I used to think that Oregonians had no accent. But working in Saudi Arabia, I was able to predict if a person on TV was from Oregon based on their accent. It seems kinda folksy and on-the-farm-like. With all the people moving to Portland and western Oregon over the years, I think the accent is becoming diluted, and some of the localisms are fading away. My dad says that in the old days, when logging dominated the economy, loggers would come into the bar, yelling "Timberrr!!!", which meant he was buying a round of drinks for everyone in the bar. I'd never heard this before.

Question: Are you able to recognize your own accent when someone else speaks it, or do you swear you don't have an accent?

Anything peculiar about Portland? Nah.

Not looking yet but officially guessing Minnesota....

Damn I was off. We do the same in judging distance by minutes and also drink pop

Must be. It’s 2 hours to my parents house! Lol. I’m not a big pop drinker but if I were to have a Diet Pepsi, I would definitely call it pop! I also drive on the freeway (not interstate). @PeppermintDreads

grinders are sub sandwiches. We PARK THE CAR IN THE HARVARD YARD. I live on a BIG HILL. Soda not pop.

Do you also add "going the speed limit" along with your time estimate, or is that just assumed?

@PeppermintDreads Yeah, that doesn't make sense then.

Here in Mennonite Waterloo Region of Ontario, Canada, locals will tell you to "go the second corner once, turn right and go until you come up against and turn left." They also might tell you to "go to where Martin's red barn used to be and turn left.
Fortunately the greatest danger from getting lost is that a local Mennonite family will take you in and feed you to death.

Living in NY, we give directions by blocks. Go 3 blocks and then turn left and go another 5 blocks. Or we give street numbers. Go to 75th st and make a left onto 3rd ave, or street names like Lexington Ave. We will say the ocassional, it's across the street from the Starbucks.

Yes, we drive on the correct side of the road here, and it confuses many American tourists, who hire a car at the airport and start driving down the road on the American side.

Sacha Level 7 Mar 5, 2018

Your "correct side of the road"? Lol

@Piece2YourPuzzle 😉

Look, you either drive on the right side or you drive on the wrong side. It couldn't any more clear than that.

We eat cinnamon rolls with chili
We say 'ope' when we run into something
We have a finger wave system when we drive. One finger up means 'howdy stranger' two up means "sup I know you' and three means "hi Carolyn how's the kids?"

I don't know about "confusing" people, but there's a bunch that sure is entertaining about some of the customs and idioms people use down here.
I'm pretty sure that those who come through here know where they are and expect things to be a little "different".

Went to the store yesterday and saw a Klan rally in a guys backyard. Danville, Va. the last capitol of the Confederacy.

@TjallTjallOUTLK yeah that was my Lowe's and I know the driver. Next time he delivered a gave him a $20 tip and told him he also has supporters and friends here. He said he appreciates it.

@Captnron59 right at the end of the bridge so you have to go right or left I turned left and beeped and just gave them the finger.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32852
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.