Agnostic.com

15 6

How long should a question be?

From my own point of view, if I look at a 'question' and it goes beyond the screen I'm looking at I rarely read all the way to the end. Is there an optimum length to encourage others to read to the end and ultimately answer?

Should you ask more than one question in the same post? and even as I'm typing this I'm seeing the irony in my question(s).

Silvertongue 7 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A question follows the same rules as a statement. It should be no longer than is required to present the needed information unambiguously.

Long enough to be clear, and to stimulate answers and comments. Though I tend to pass over those posts that are made up of more than a couple questions ...

I try to keep it short and sweet. Ihave a short attention span these days.LOL

Exactly 72 characters,always.

depends on how long the answer is.

Make the question clear, short, and to the point. If you want to probe further, ask associated follow-ups.

One question, one sentence.

i agree, it seems too long winded

Haha,
I actually like a question to be clearly defined, so lengthwise, whatever it takes. My attention span is ok.

The question is not length, but clarity and precision in writing. If you must have a long prelude to your basic question, write succinctly, in brief, one topic paragraphs, then pose a clear and chort question.

The question should be short. If the question is preceded by a wall of text, I read the first few lines, scan the middle, then jump to the end, and track back as needed if I don't understand the question. I don't preface a question with a lead up to the question. If the question is not understood people will ask for an explanation, which then I'll provide but not before.

SamL Level 7 Mar 5, 2018

I see what you did there.

My answer has to be "as long as is needed to ask it. No more. No less.

As to giant walls of text. I do not have the time for long reads in a forum format. I tend to visit blogs for those.

Zster Level 8 Mar 5, 2018

As a rough guide I would have thought that so long as the reader hasn't lost the will to live before getting to the end of it you've probably got it about right 🙂

What if we came in without any?

Why?

That's succinct.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32953
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.