Agnostic.com

7 1

Alexa devices.

Does anybody care if they listen in, I don't give a shit about eavesdropping if they improve the device.

Bangkokbob 6 Apr 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I don't care about eavesdropping/surveillance so long as it makes my life easier" leads to authoritarian governments and loss of freedoms. I feel no need nor desire at all to have an Alexa or any of the competing versions in my home.

Jnei Level 8 Apr 12, 2019

...I am still trying to get "BETA" off
my device!!!!

@BBJong You need to use a bigger hammer.

It's either going down the road of no one caring and eventually third party companies listening in to send you uber-targeted ads and/or the government for other reasons -- or there is going to have to be a legislative overhaul targeting these invasions of privacy.

Because I doubt anything actually stops the home automation trend. It's far too convenient.

This is so sad. Alexa, play Despacito.

Well, yes i do care. Peopel amy discuss some personal information, as in social security numbers or other information which could be used for identity theft. Nobody thinks about leaving the room so Alexa wont' hear. Alexa beign artifical intelligence means everythign it hears can be permanently stored.

The whole idea of constantly beign monitored is just a little too close to "Big Brother" for me to be comfortable with it. If you haven't read the book "1984" by George Orwell, then you should before you think it is harmless to put something in your home that constantly monitors you. The movie doesn't have anywhere near teh sem impact as the book does.

I feel more connected to society knowing someone is listening to me.

You all have Televisions, computers, laptops, tablets, and cellphones, unless you live in a cave and responded to this by going to a computer room, you have already welcomed 1984 into your lives. Alexa is just one more way most people can be spied upon, but there are more, Google has its own version. Its here already in your car, in your home, and almost everywhere, you can't get away from it, so be happy with all your new friends, or live like the Unabomber or in a cave.

You can run away from 1984 or live in the year 2019 all I am saying is to be aware of your surroundings and take advantage of your instincts. You can't put the Genie back in the bottle, A.I. is here and people must adjust.

...do you know where
the "off" button is-humans are said by psychologists that we need alone time-
corporations are never going to "see"
that/or allow it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:329579
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.