Agnostic.com

19 10

We just released iPhone and Android apps for Agnostic.com!

We're really excited to annouce mobile apps for Agnostic.com. The apps are very similar to the browser view that you see already with your phone.

The key difference is that you will get instant alerts to the app without having to find it on a web page. We currently have it setup to only give you an alert no more than once per hour but might adjust this depending on member feedback.

We also would like to humbly request that you give the apps a 5-star rating and a positive review (even if we have some bugs to fix). This is really important as we want to have a good reputation with the app when new members see it.

*For iPhone users😘
[itunes.apple.com]

Note: to go "back" in the iPhone app, "swipe right" (brush the screen towards the right).

For Android phone users
[play.google.com]

Note: Android users must be running OS 5.0 or higher (2-3 years ago).

We have a few updates the to apps in development and will release them in the next few weeks.

Admin 9 Mar 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bummer that it's 4.2 and up as I've had to revert to my 4.0 android phone sheet breaking the newer one.

Curious why y'all limited the Android version to 5.0 rather than 4.4
From a software development perspective there's not a ton of benefits from the newer version... Believe me, as an OS builder I've seen most of that go by. I've got a few older devices that absolutely cannot run 5.0 due to Google breaking the ability to run their ART runtime on older chips, and others that I've not bothered to make device trees for and upgrade past manufacturer specs to get therm up to 5 or higher.
No offense, just curious. Sometimes that backwards compatibility isn't more difficult than toggling the Android version in the manifest.

Edit: NVM, found the answer further down the comments, and it covers all my points. I'll quote it here
"Admin: 0

The app runs on 4.2 but the photo upload code doesn't work on that version (Google fixed the issue in 5.0). Since we don't want members to be upset if they can't upload photos, we say 5.0."

Hey @Admin it's not Compatible with all cell phone for example am ( Samsung Galaxy S5) Google play doesn't allow me to just install it and sure if got it as APK Source it will work or not so anyone face such thing ?

Miloo Level 6 Mar 29, 2018

Hey @Admin, I'm not getting notifications. They're listed if I click on the bell, but no red alert. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also, should I be getting push notifications? I received a few in the past, but they were inconsistent and now are non-existent.

Messaging isn't working either. May be the server changeover has something to do with it.

"Non-nude sexy pics" has just been started for all who want to contribute or just find out about tips and how d'ya do its.

@admin. Can you connect with a Google email address and password? I cannot. It just says log on, not with google account.

Also just tried in install on my iPad 2. Not compatible. So, not having much luck here.

We're working now on "facebook connect" and "google connect" for logging in with the app. Fortunately, the app will remember your password. Sorry about the iPad 2. You can still get on via Safari browser, right?

@Admin - sure, that's fine. All browsers on iPad connect to the site. I would like to connect my android phone with my google log on, however. Thanks for working on it.

I can install on my android phone running system 5. Guess my older android tablet running 4.1.1 will miss out.( Damn Android tardiness in system updates. )Thanks Admin.

We also need test it on android tablet as we were focusing on phones first (but yes, we're working on it).

@Admin This reply is coming to you from the Android app on a Samsung Galaxy TabA running vs 7. 1.1. Apart from a photo being out of horizontal alignment and clashing with group member's avatars so far so good.

@FrayedBear I'll try my galaxy 7.7 when admin fixes the Google log on issue.

@David1955 What's the problem with just signing in with your user name and Agnostic.com password? Personally I don't like using Google sign in and fbook is even worse.

@FrayedBear I have only ever had log on with Google email and password, no separate username. I know admin could supply a username but I haven't needed it. Admin says they are working on Google log on now, so I'll wait for that.

If, on my own comment or post, I could press the ‘like’ icon and see who all liked it instead of it telling me I can’t like my own post, that’d be great.

For Posts, we just launched a way for everyone to see who likes a post (i.e., more than 10 likes). For comments and replies, we're working on something similar but yeah, your idea is good (putting on list).

I love the app! Way easier than having to pull up the browser, find the bookmark, then load the page and sign in,

NOW it's push the button and sign in WAY EASY!!!

Mine seems to sign itself in.

@FrayedBear I think it stays signed in unless you sign out ... maybe ????

@jonvan yep. My browser remembers the password and just signs in. I have quick connect icons on my home page to open tabs to alerts, repeat comments like welcoming new members to groups, hashtag creation, messages etc. Hopefully multitabbing will become available in the app or a personalised drop down menu to give direct links.

If you only just now announced it....what have I been using for the last week? O.O

Shhh... don't give away the secret that level 6+ got early access to it 😉

@Admin ahhh awesome!

@Admin I'm level 7. I didn't get early access. Or is it only attractive level 6+ people? 🙂

@David1955 awe you think I'm attractive? Thanks!

Awwww, sob. What about uus poor Windows Phone users? OK, I am the only one.

You can now get a you bewt metal Nokia 6 for about A$250 with 3 year warranty @Rugglesby

@FrayedBear ta, I will definitely look into it

@Rugglesby im thinking of getting one myself for Optus connection as Telstra are starting to get mean with the monthly allowance. But I'm finding that Agnostics uses far less consumption than f'book did. My local repair guy who is pretty cluey was recommending the build of them ... they certainly feel good being an all metal case and the camera has serious megapixels.

@FrayedBear depends on the data, but check out Moose Mobile, unlimited sms worldwide, unlimited calls in Australia, to any phone,no exceptions, 1 bg data for $14 a month. They have other deals as well. The level of service is amazing, seem to be Brisbane based and full optus network access. I have been with them for 6 months, most of my family and friends have switched, those who wanted to stay with the Telstra network have gone to Boost.

@Rugglesby I've tried a few like Amaysim, Aldi but the trouble is they tend to have very limited bandwith from the main carrier's towers. May be ok in larger cities but out here in bible bashing remote Victoria they buy them for the children and so out of school hours the services are swamped by the cheap entertainment for the children which results in horrific slow down of service. I was last with Optus 3 years ago - fine. Then I moved 1 kilometre and it took 10 minutes to load anything. Telstra prepaid does have one ripper feature - free unlimited overseas calls to about 16 countries. I havent seen Moose down here perhaps it went the way of the Orange or is local only to Brisbane and Northern NSW. I'm told that optus have now put more towers in locally and reception has improved.

@FrayedBear ah, ok that is new info for me, I am not great with mobile phones, and almost never use my data, so for me it is the call and text availability. I am in a poor signal area,

@Rugglesby i will continue Telstra for as long as they have the free overseas - useful for phoning people in America or UK met on here. I also have a mate from school days who I normally chat with about six hours a month. He's in the U.K. In the bad old days that would not have been affordable.

@Rugglesby I've now been using Optus for several weeks. The service has improved. Monthly allocation is nominally 2.5x that of Telstra but seems to be far greater with special offers. And I also get unlimited no charge calls to USA, UK and a dozen others.

First thought is the alerts be real time with options to get notifications on phone or not.
Second thought is can we get all new notifications highlighted in the list? If even just a dot on the side of it that goes away once it has been viewed.
Third thought, if possible, can we have options to change the colors? I’m having a purple overdose. Myself personally, I need a black option. I’m sure others would need red, green, blue, etc.
Anyway that’s my initial reaction.

First, the "Bell" alerts and app alerts are the same (we summarize some that go to the app so it doesn't get too many buzzes). Good ideas! Will think about it... especially as we roll out humanist.com

Humanist.com, huh? What’s the strategy or reasoning for two platforms? @Admin

I've been using the android version for some days now and love it. As always there will be little improvements to always implement but as far as I have found the app is complete.

This is going on my main page, thank you!

Lookin good

super dandy!

Are you sure it's Android 5.0 or higher? It says 4.2 on the page.

The app runs on 4.2 but the photo upload code doesn't work on that version (Google fixed the issue in 5.0). Since we don't want members to be upset if they can't upload photos, we say 5.0.

Done.......sort of. The icon is not showing up on my screen and the message "may not be optimized for your device" appeared as it downloaded onto my Android tablet.

Ah good feedback as we've not tested it on an Android tablet as about 2-3% of our members are using that to read the site (but yes, you're important!). We'll put that on our list. Sounds like it didn't install on your tablet.

Thanks!

skado Level 9 Mar 5, 2018

I would like to request that you add a "back" or backwards arrow button on the app. Once I read a post in a particular category, there is no way to get back to the list of posts except to go back to the beginning.

If you're on iPhone, just "swipe right" to go back to the previous page.

Just swipe right

Thanks both!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33041
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.