Agnostic.com

8 0

a question about how religion affects behaviour

When I was a child, I was the only person in my family that chose to be religious. I went to church by myself.
As a teen, I was singing and making up a religious song which made me feel euphoric. At that moment, a gold pen cap with hands in prayer literally fell from above and landed right in front of me.
As I got older and questioned religion and its history, the pen cap disappeared from where I always kept it (never to be seen again).
As an adult, I have no interest in religion. Yet, I'm an educated, hard-working individual who has terrible luck. When the 'fear of social control' (believe in God or you will go to hell) is instilled in a child, do you think it has a subconscious effect on the way we behave as adults? Am I somehow manifesting my own bad luck, or do I just have dumb luck?

gypsyjane 5 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm studying to be a hypnotherapist and i have studied subconscious mind in great detail. Hypnosis actually is what made me realize that religion is man made because that's all religion is self hypnosis. To answer your question. Yes your subconscious has a huge effect on you. Until you learn how to reprogram your subconscious you will still be running on the same program that was installed as a child.

Yes, the brainwashing can affect us as adults, even after we've let go of religious beliefs. I also believe we tend to make a lot of subconscious decisions that affect the course of our lives that we aren't consciously aware of. I think of we're fearful, it comes out in hundreds of small ways in everything we do and causes is to make decisions differently than if we are feeling confident. We deal with people differently. We react to situations differently. We stand differently. If you feel like your life is filled with a lot of unfortunate happenstance, you might examine your thought processes and see if you can identify ways that you are still affected by irrational ideas. Meditation and mindfulness are awesome tools for that.

College professor, published author, professional musician and an entrepeneur - doesn't sound too unlucky to me. Are you homeless, in an abusive relationship, been physically assaulted, thrown in jail, tortured for your beliefs? If not, you are not unlucky.
Shit Happens, to everybody, at the worst possible time and in the worst possible way, that's just Murphy's Law. The lucky ones in this world get knocked down just like everybody else, then they stagger back to their feet and get back in the game, they don't lie there on the ground complaining about their bad luck.

Everything you say and do as a child forms you as an adult. There is no default position except the most basic level of human instinct.
The "pen cap" whatever that is, is a red herring. I don't see why it is relevant except that you seem to harbour some delusion about it.
Luck does not exist. It's just how you react to your own expectations. But you might want to do some 'mindfulness' training, and think out your assumptions about the world.
Start with the pen cap.

Do you have worse luck than others or are you just concentrating on the bad things that have happened to you ?. Think on the good things and you may feel happier, after all only a very few can win the lottery.

Source:

Without knowing your history it is not possible to know if what you call bad luck is self inflicted or circumstantial.

Yes, I've read where it can have a psychological effect on people, the subconscious, the sin can cause guilt, the blind faith, believing in something you can't see, with no evidence, some people break through the hoax, when they become an adult, and some don't, I've read where children have nightmares from the threat of eternal hell if they don't obey, can cause psychological damage, I've read were religion can impede human progress, because people think that there religion and invisible god solves everything, it may have something to do also with all of the money that goes into the big church organizations, I just heard that we would be far more advanced if it wasn't for religion, regarding the bad luck, that's just whatever happens, happens, that has nothing to do with the supernatural, although cristian people believe it does.

I think subconsciously it can have a large effect..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:330867
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.