Agnostic.com

6 1

My cat humps my leg

Does anyone know of a humane way to get my cat to stop humping my leg I find it a little disturbing.

AJimboShep82 7 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought that was the start of a Limerick

My cat humps my leg
and my dog fucks my shoe
I'm at my total wits end,
Could you tell me what to do.

Shame kitty by making it wear a sweater. That's my solution for most things.

I tell my 2 cats and 1 dog to fuck off and go to hell several times a day. Never works. The minute I sit or lay down they're on me (not humping me though).

Ask your Vet to show you how to lift the cat off by scruffing it. It's a bit of a dominance move and it won't hurt the cat.
Repetition of this should get the point across.

Buy it a nice soft pillow or soft toy (I kid you not) unless it already has a favorite.
And remove it from you and put it on that. He'll get the picture.

It still feels good so they are still going to do it. It's ok to set your boundary by removing the kitty from your leg though.

You're just setting boundaries.
Scruffing will prevent the cat from biting you as well.

I take it you mean lifting by grabbing it by the skin of the back of its neck?

@bingst that may work for kittens but I think it would cause an adult cat considerable discomfort.especially for this pork chop.

@AJimboShep82 I can lift my 12 lb cat that way - but I've been taught the proper method - that's why I directed you to your Vet. They'll decide if the cat is too big.

I have one that freaks out and I have to trim one of her toe nails due to an issue - and scruffing her is the ONLY way to do it without me getting shredded.

Frankly you can Lift the cat off your leg - but I do recommend the scruff method if it's appropriate.
I've had to get large dogs off my leg and you do that with a knee to the chest - but you can't do that to a cat! lol (it won't hurt a 90 lb dog - but it would hurt the cat).

I found you an article on the topic. They recommend picking the cat up - saying "No" and distraction with a toy. Several other things are also added to that: [catster.com]

@AJimboShep82, @bingst Right - Scruffing is the skin at the back of the neck - but you absolutely have to know what you are doing or your could hurt the cat. You have to know where to grab or the limpness doesn't kick in and the cat will try to run. Not a good idea when you're only holding skin.

I was taught the proper method.

And it's true - if the cat it too chunky - you can't do it. Raz at 15 lbs? He can't be scruffed properly - it would take bigger hands than mine. And looser skin I think? lol

I only use that method for very specific things. As it does get into the whole "you're treating me like a kitten" dominance thing.
But it's fantastic if you have to pill a cat.

If I think of it next time I need to do it with Heath we'll take a photo. It's pretty impressive with a 12 lb cat and Kafirah says "Oh yes I've seen you do it". I'm pretty sure it was to put eye ointment in Heath's eyes. No one likes having that goop put in their eyes - but it makes it easier. (He gets treats after too).

@RavenCT when I pick up the little meathead I start by hooking the front two and support him whilst I pick him up and I tuck in his hinds and tail and support him with hand firmly under him and cradle the meathead with other hand.

@AJimboShep82 That is the correct method. lol

@RavenCT and I forgot that I have his front paws over the shoulder of the side I'm cradling him.

He even tries drinking from the toilet

I'm ok with the kneading that seems to come with the undesirable behaviour any way to weed it out?

I heard they don't like orange smell. I tried it when I peeled a tangerine my cat smelled it and it repelled him. zhe jumped off the couch. I guess you could rub a peeling of an orange or tangerine on your pants or leg. I know someone who sprayed their couch with diluted orange essential oil to stop them from scratching it and said it worked.

I will give it a try thanks.

@PalacinkyPDX I read pepoermintbessential pills is toxic for them. might just be if diffused, but I wouldnt take a chance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:331074
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.