Agnostic.com

76 9

Would you accept a job or position within a company that was built around religious beliefs?

Places like Salvation Army. Or hospitals that are named after saints. In my area there is a major hospital that is based around a religion and even asks about it on the application. I wasn't comfortable enough to apply. So I was curious how others feel.

valerina 7 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

76 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would depend on the job, the religion, and their beliefs. Maybe.

I was hired on as the IT director for a non profit agency. After being there a short time the red flags started poping up. A prayer before meetings with the board. Things of that nature. There was a huge religious conservative bias with most of the employees. Fox news was loved. And the Hallelujah executive director who was over my department had a masters in culinary arts while making "technical" and scientific decisions. It was hell. So many more stories of stupidity from that company. Needless to say, I am not in that position anymore.

It sucks worse that those redflags popped up over time. Hope you found something better!

Actually in Canada you can not ask someones religion, race, ethnic background or sexuallity on a job application, once again it seems the US is a backwards nation to me. I have met gay muslims working in a christain book and I know an atheist that manages a mission soup kitchen.
I feel sad for you that your beliefs(lack of) stands as a barrier to employment, that truly sucks.

@Crimson67 Here there are legal consequences for even asking with the exception of the Armed force for obvious reasons.

@Crimson67 There is an exception for churches and education. They are allowed to discriminate because the primary function is religion. It can and will be a requirement for these institutions, even if your job would have nothing to do with religion. (I was applying for IT job at at university)

Hate to sound like one of the choir, but absolutely not. I take my views on religion very seriously. I remember reading that the late actor Burt Lancaster, who was a lifelong seriously minded nonreligious person, would not take parts in movies that had religious themes. You have to take a stand on some things.

Ever seen Elmer Gantry?

It's hard to find a good stable job that appreciates you. It's important to keep in mind that most people are just working there like you, not necessarily passionate about the company and it's practices. For example, I work at a Christian retail store but at my unique store the managers are kind and flexible, the workers will always help you if something goes wrong, they don't bicker about religion or politics, and they don't care for the religious corrupt actions of the company owner. It's not ideal to work for a company that does not reflect your values but that's really a first world problem. I work here because it's good pay, good people, has small creative opportunities, and is stable yet flexible for my family. We don't always have the luxury of picking the perfect job with the perfect values. I don't intend to stay with this company forever but for a while it would provide as much if not more income than other local opportunities while also providing other healthy perks that are difficult to find in many workplaces.

That's great that you feel good with your company. Sometimes it works out.

I'm Atheist. I work for a company that is faith-based. They are very respectful of others. They always lead off meetings with a prayer but, before they do, offer anyone who does not want to take part the opportunity to leave the room. At our agency, Sometimes I leave, sometimes not. The prayer is never offensive to me and doesn't drone on. At the company meetings twice per year, I leave the room, and I'm not alone. They are ethical, good-hearted people. I know this is rare.

It's rare no matter religion or no.

I suppose it also depends on your tolerance level, you sir have a high tolerance lol. 😛 Glad you are happy with it though!

@valerina They don't push it on me and they're respectful of my "beliefs". And they pay well. 🙂

It would depend on the prevailing market and exactly how hungry I am and how badly I need to feed my family. In a good job market, I would have to say no. If jobs were scarce and I was hungry, well, survival mode kicks in.

Nope. I've worked at such places before and people felt a tad too comfortable talking openly about religion and I was so isolated from my coworkers that I hated going to work. I'd never work for a company built around religious beliefs again.

I'll take anyone's money, especially stupid people's money.

Not in a million years.

Only as a last resort (like starving or about to lose my house), then only until I could find something else.

Definitely, desperate times!

No, most work is hard enough without it being a hostile environment.

BillF Level 7 Mar 6, 2018

Agreed!

I would not, if I could be choosy. I found out recently that my brother works for a company that’s owned and run by Scientologists. I was appalled and asked him what that was like. He said they are actually quite nice. I told him I would have a real hard time working there. That cult really freaks me out. I can’t even get through the documentary “Going Clear.” Every time I try to watch it, it creeps me out so badly that I have to shut it off.

I haven't seen that but I hear that a lot about it. It is creepy!

Sounds like a very uncomfortable work situation. Unless I was absolutely out of my mind with desperation, I’d pass on a job like that.

The first five words are the only relevant ones: "Would you accept a job..." The answer is YES.

I'd have fun with it, each day trying to seem more extreme than my fellow workers, and carrying biblical literalism to expremes.

And, on my last day at work, I'd have ever so much fun with the company computers, tossing neodymium magnets wherever I could: after all, magnets are proof that god exists, as revealed by the Insane Clown Posse." 😉

Lol that could be fun!!

I have a feeling I wouldn't even pass the interview...

Yes, of course. I spent a good portion of my working career working in faith based hospitals. I've never been asked about my religious beliefs on an application though.

Yes i would and i would prob lie to them and see if i am struck down by their "god"! And i wouldn't so it would br finr i guess!!

Like being a manager at Chick fil a???..that would br rough for me I would imagine...religion would have to rear its head at some point..

It would depend on the company. For example, there's Christian company based near me that produces bread and other food as well as buying large quantities of rice and other staples. This is then distributed to the poor and needy (regardless of their religion, lack thereof, sexuality etc ) according to a sliding scale - people pay what they can afford, with the very poorest given food for free. I applied for a position with them about twelve years ago (but didn't take it as a much better-paid job elsewhere came up); prior to the interview, they took me on a tour of their premises and explained that while the company is Christian, employees are not required to be and the prayer meeting each morning is strictly optional. I know a couple of people who have worked there and they said all employees are shown respect, there are no attempts at all to convert anyone and, although the pay is low, they enjoyed the job a great deal.

There are probably more religious companies I wouldn't work for, but there are some exceptions I definitely would.

Jnei Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

That does sound like a nice place. I've said this before, I have had to go to places like this for food, so I have donated to these same places when I could. I like a company that doesn't shove their beliefs down your throat. Good on them!

I lived is Salt Lake City Utah for a number of years as an electrician. The ultra Mormon companies got around the religion question by informing the new applicants that they did contract work at the Mormon temple. Then asked if you had a temple recommend from your Bishop.
Needles to say that was the end of the interview for me.

Ooh sneaky sneaky! I'm not cool with that either.

Oh their god, it's so true. These fcking temple recommends and letters from the bishop! That's what all the paralegal positions ask me for which is when I can't get one

No, not without being a rampaging hypocrit lol

I am a nurse at a Catholic hospital. I love my job, and we do care for the poor and underserved in my community, which is important. The birth control and other reproductive restrictions is my only complaint, but the ACA eliminated that for the time being. I hold patient's hands as they pray if it brings them comfort, I call for the priest for the dying who want one. Perhaps if I didn't feel passionately about my profession it would be different, but I really love what I do.

Helping people is definitely the most important thing. It's admirable what you do! 🙂

I have the highest amount of respect for those in the medical profession. On a side note: Have you checked out Zdoggmd / doc vador? In addition to commentary and comedy he has produced many videos including music videos This is one of my favorites.

@NoMagicCookie yeah, I follow Z Dogg, he actually has some really great conversations about issues in the medical field besides just the funny stuff

@SarahSummer78 Agreed. His tribe talk is great.

It would depend on how badly I needed a job. I would never leave a job to take a job with a place like that, but if I were to find myself unemployed, I wouldn't turn down employment. I would continue looking for another position that better suited me.

Well, they can ask but in the U.S. they can not discriminate. Proving they did might be difficult.

If I was short on funds and it was the only thing on the horizon I'd probably go for it, get the bills up to date, save some for when the lay off comes - ya know it will when you state how you REALLY feel 🙂. While on the job do your best and keep looking for the ideal situation.

Absolutely not. While there are religious organizations and businesses that do good work for the community, the overall idea of it bothers me. If I worked for a religious-based company, I would feel as if I am living a lie, and that I need to hide my true self from my coworkers.

I get that it feels like you are living a lie even if you don't lie. You usually feel like a representative of the company when dealing with customers. You can't or shouldn't exactly discuss such matters with customers/clients.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.