Agnostic.com

29 3

Do you find giving advice to someone who disregards it, is a waste of time.

I gave a 24-year-old atheist advice with his situation dealing with his ex. I think women can read other women's intentions and actions better than men can read women, and vice versa. He said she wanted to have good sex and him take her out to eat. I already saw that as she was using him. He had stated she's really immature for her age. (Now I see he is too) Later on, he said she used him. He had to learn the hard way though. I told him getting back with an ex is never a good idea. Now he's saying she has feelings for him. I am now not giving any advice and I don't care anymore. I had tried to help and be friendly. Right now I'm busy with my life and trying to better myself and how I view myself. I'm too old for this immature shit. I once was young and immature too, back when I was 20. Lol. That is not my fault she can't raise her own kid when it is split custody. Some women should not have children if they are not ready. IJS. I can't help anyone who doesn't want help.

Sarahroo29 8 Mar 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just because someone asks for your perspective doesn’t mean they are bound to do what you tell them.

When someone asks, I will give my honest opinion. The people I'm closest to get the truth full blast. Others get a carefully considered, fact-driven articulation of my perspective on the reality that person is dealing with. I generally don't hold my tongue if there's something I think someone needs to hear. I will attempt to keep things nuetral and nonjudgemental. Then it is for them to do or not do. Expecting anyone else to do anything for any reason is destined to lead to disappointment almost all of the time. I have accepted this and it's quite liberating. Dealing with those who have not yet taken responsibility for their lives and their choices can be quite exhausting and exasperating. Or infuriating. If this is a freind, someone you care about, don't be so quick to withhold your support and freindship. Share your concerns honestly, but realize this friend has the right to live her life the way she choses.

No, I always view my efforts in terms of a file cabinet. The information goes into a file folder and at some point in time it will be deemed necessary.

Oh, okay.

Why do you care?
It's always best to mind one's own business, unless asked, then just give your advice and move on.
No time to worry about others if you are busy with your own life and love interests.

He was upset and was venting to me. I care about people. I was trying to help.

@Sarahroo29 You just recited a lengthy, detailed story about some random person's personal problems so apparently some emotional boundaries would be advisable. Nod and smile and make sympathetic comments, but it's not our job to fix anyone. The person probably benefited from unloading on someone, so you already helped.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33399
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.