Agnostic.com

52 14

How many of you feel discriminated against for been Atheist? Do you agree, we need laws that protects atheist, non-believers, freethinkers minorities?

Many religious groups always claim protection under the constitution for their beliefs. Yet, they constantly attack secularists as bigots for calling out their privilege and shortsightedness. How many of you feel it's the opposite. We don't get protection against the bigotry we face. Do you feel we get fair treatment?

missgi 5 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No one would be discriminated against if they did not spout their lack of belief to people that they do not think will except their non belief .Stating your non belief to believers serves no purpose so why subject yourself to this abuse

What a load of hogwash. Tell me are you one who objects to the wearing of hijabs in public? No, then how about dark visored crash helmets or a balaclava in the bank? What about being psychologically gaslighted and constantly told that you will go to hell for not believing in fairy tales? Doesn't effect your mental health? I'm not surprised.

@FrayedBear I do not brag about being a nonbeliever and I do not feel sorry for morons sporting stupid veils and head gear in public you annoying terd

@Emanuele That’s What I was going to say LOL.

@Emanuele exactly

I agree 100%. That’s a good way to handle it.

@FrayedBear Your the one who is spouting a load of hogwash.

@HomeAloneSunday Thank you for pointing out how it works in the world.

@HomeAloneSunday, @Trajan61, @richiegtt You do not have to brag about being an atheist or agnostic however imo you are not much of a person if you cannot unashamedly state these facts when asked. Or in my case, even though reclusive I refuse to go to church, to take an oath to join social organisations requiring declaration of fealty to a higher being, have celebrations of xmas, Easter, Chanukah, Ramadam, Yom Kippur but still constantly am having them pushed in my face. Perhaps you live in a large city where anonymity is possible and perhaps like the millennials you do not have real interpersonal relationships just contracts and virtual friends, wives and lovers. I don't, I live in a country town, wearing my heart on my sleeve and having the spinal fortitude to say what I am.

@HomeAloneSunday A true friend is one who loves you irrespective of your faults and beliefs. False friends are like leaves in the wind - if not blown away best scraped up and burnt.

@TCorCM hi Ben, is the photo of the town street on your profile your home town? It looks very big for country! Our tallest office building is 4 stories high and has a magnificent view over town, tin sheds housing factories and the surrounding farms. Yours sounds idyllic. Which god do you believe in?

@TCorCM We now keep grain in horizontal silos. The vertical concrete and metal ones like mediaeval castles ast there use by date and left to wrack and ruin, giant sentinels like inland lighthouses marking a lonely village at best, a 40 square mile area of isolated farms in other cases. Some religions have reasonable codes of living but I do not know of any that are progressive.

I think it comes down to personal values. Religion is so divisive, has caused such atrocities in the name of one god or another that I feel I have a responsibility to spread the word of rational thought and critical thinking. If we do not speak out there will be no change.

not really, only time ive seen atheists discriminated against is when they went out of there way to force their non beliefe down the throats of others. no one really cares if you believe or not, in my experience

@whispers I did have someone ask why I hadnt killed myself once.. lol.. worst part is he really wasnt suggesting suicide, he just couldnt grasp what the point of life was, if you didnt believe in an afterlife.. I was amused and felt so much pity all at the same time.

And the religious are not everyday forcing their belief onto others?
I suppose that you believe that the earth is flat also.

@FrayedBear No, I, unlike you am not a moron. Work on reading comprehension. And honestly, Ive never had a real issue with religious people after I point out they are barking up the wrong tree. Most people don't hang around to be told the exact reasons why they are idiots, they generally go elsewhere, to resume their personally perceived superiority.

@FrayedBear rofl, Im paranoid? project much nutcase? gtfoh rofl

@FrayedBear and 'dope'? what year do you think you are living in? thanks for reminding everyone that atheist is not synonymous with educated. Get lost gramps.

@dellik We have a lovely expression to describe your ilk - "what a twat" in English, in Australian you do not merit being called a cunt. When your delusions collapse remember me. I will not be laughing or crying.

@FrayedBear there goes that projection again. shoo little man, shoo.

@dellik Get back to your weed - do you suck it or eat it?

@dellik I find it quite bizarre that for people who think so highly of an afterlife, they continually vote against voluntary euthanasia. You’d think they’d be “dying” to get there.

@dellik this guy is nuts ,try to ignore him.

@FrayedBear I'll leave the sucking to you mate, you clearly excel at it. now gtfoh troll lest you rack up enough reports to get your inbred ass banned.

@dellik Ha,Ha That a good one

@Sanderson1 quite agree. Control freaks the lot of them. Look at the viteraputive responses that I am getting.

@dellik now you really identify your lack of intelligence and education. Do you have proof of my inbreeding? You are not even contemptible. FYI both my mother and my brother loved each other can you say the same?

@FrayedBear The only thing that sucks here is you.

We non-believers are in the minority...BUT that is slowly changing. And the more we are "out front" with our secular points of view, the more rapid future change will happen.

Someone recently put up a pie chart showing 51 percent are none believers. Never proved where it came from though.

@FrayedBear Last year, I read that the percentage of new college students registering for their freshman year who answer "none" or "non-affiliated" to the religion question has risen to 22%, and is increasing by about 1% per year.

@mischl If true - good. And I agree with you, being a "spineless-say-nothing" does not help create enlightenment or reduce Stupidity.

@FrayedBear I'm guessing you meant a period or something after the word "you" in the above? Or do you think I'm a spineless say nothing? Just checking.

@mischl My apology, there should be a comma, period or colon after you. Corrected.

@FrayedBear Haha, I should have signed that with my alternate persona as the grammar nazi. On this site, I'm often very reluctant to even hint at somebody's writing sins. But there are times when it's actually sorta important. From my perceptions, most online postings have egregious grammar, etc.

I don't exactly feel discriminated against, I'm more worried about customs and laws being dictated by religious beliefs. :/

I live in a very Christian area. My ex gets very angry/annoyed when I bring up my atheism (not in the beginning, but in the more recent years. Although I never hid it from him). His mother just can’t fathom the idea that I don’t believe in her god. She still tells me she’s praying for me, etc., which of course annoys the piss out of me.
I have a 9 year old son that I’m letting make his own decisions about religion. He’s learned most about from school friends ?. I have been very quiet about my antitheist beliefs for fear that the other parents may freak out and turn their children against them.
I didn’t grow up fearing persecution from my neighbors, but where I live now, I do.

Right there with you!! They don’t understand it and make assumptions that are way off. I let my children decide what to believe. My son’s dad’s family are all Jehovahs Witnesses. I see that as child abuse. Oh the stories I could tell. Reading the watchtowers they would leave for me. My favorite was the one about obeying your husband, unless he wants to wife swap! :-0

@MatrixLiving My laughter is over your ultimate sentence. I agree to "tell." ?

@missgi I agree, safety first, especially when it comes to my son.
I won’t join in a prayer, but I will be respectful. I won’t say the word god in the Pledge of Allegiance, but I’ll say the rest. I’ll actively listen to the church conversations between the other moms, but I won’t jump in, if only to avoid being asked what church my family goes to, but more likely to avoid busting out with some snarky comments, lol

No...we don’t need more laws, we need less. We need to change or abolish the laws of privilege for religions....we all should be equal under the law, regardless of our beliefs. Freedom to practice or not to practice a religion should be a basic universal human right.

@missgi what does that post mean? Last I looked ‘?’ Was not a word!

@Geoffrey51 The emojis are not working...they show up as question marks. I think she was saying she loved what I said,

@Marionville okay thanks Marion

@missgi Yes...I guessed that!

Absolutely I was laid off because I'm an atheist, that happened in NC. I sued. And won.

Never had a problem here in the UK even when I worked in a Muslim education centre. I was often asked what is your religion and I would be met with a blank stare by those who had never heard of an Athiest or a genuine interest into why.
Sorry to say the only time I was berated was by an American tourist in the UK

it figures

Proving what indoctrinated bigots they are.

The Religious Faithfools are eternally screaming about THEIR religious rights and freedoms are they not?
But what about OUR Rights and Freedoms?
Can we HONESTLY say that we actually have any?

@missgi Here in Australia we HAD a Female Prime Minister who DECLARED PUBLICALLY that she was an Atheist, the repercussions she copped and had to endure from the Faithfools and their 'toadies' ( including the Highly Religiously biased Liberal-National Party) were totally unwarranted and completely uncalled for.
Though I did NOT agree with many of her decisions, whilst she had her very short time in Office I did and still do applaud her forthrightness and honest.

I do not feel discriminated against nor was I ever discriminated against because I use common sense and know when and where to let my feelings of non belief be known

But that way you live hidden all the time. Should be free to be as you are. That concept in 2019 is unbelievable

@margarida That’s a good sensible way to handle it. No use stirring up the Christain's as most of them are a lot better people than the liberal left wing nut jobs on this website.

@Trajan61 ok but I wouldn't like to live hidden. Religion is not a problem here in Europe. At least not a major one.

@Trajan61 I agree totally with your comment

@margarida I most certainly do not feel hidden at all .An individual will only feel hidden if they are unhappy suppressing their non belief .I would feel very uncomfortable sharing my agnostic belief with believers .This makes absolutely no sense to me .I only share my non belief with a select group of people I can relate to on the matter .Most of my friends and relatives neighbors etc are believers .I like these people .Why would I jeopardize my relationship with them .

@granny would that be because you are an xtian hiding here to be an xtian troll?

@Trajan61 the left wing nut jobs as you call them seemingly only kill foreigners like Libyans and Osama bin Ladens. Right wing nut jobs however seem to love Waco's, Georgetown's, Las Vegas massacres, 9/11s, creating strange fruit in non fruiting trees, slave labour, Mammon, greed, corruption, and sexual inequality with female degradation.
Am I right or am I right?

@granny I said what I said because I feel that way. I wouldn't like to have to ptretend to be what I am not. And if I can act normaliy I can also show them that their views are wrong. But that´s me of course. If you feel that you can jeopardize you relationship with someone by telling them what you think that's no friendship at all.

@margarida Do not impose your feelings on other people .Maybe you would feel hidden but I certainly do not .You seem to have a problem with people that do not suffer from your feeling of discrimination..Maybe being a non believer is what defines you. To me it’s a very small part of who I am and I find people who advertise their religious identity as well as people who advertise their non belief to be offensive ,annoying and boring.

@HarrySlick I don't impose but I do not hiddem either.
I do not feel descriminated at all. I share what I feel about religion. In my country we can be friends even if we think different way about religio n and about everything. Religion is not everything that defines me, but is an important part of what I am.

I read an article in the latest issue of FFRF's Freethought Today, that their bringing that issue to the city council in Portland Oregon about discrimination of nonbelievers.

I don't feel discriminated but there are places where the laws are to a degree discriminatory and they need to be changed, or we need more protections.
It is the opposite in some examples. They always fail to realize freedom OF religion also means, equally, freedom FROM religion.

I do and try living in Texas with mega-churches just a stones throw in any direction.

Yes I do feel targeted for my lack of belief. At least it is not punishable by death like in certain countries. I travel to those countries for work and I always worry if someone will "catch" me and detain me for my lack of belief. I find that in the 21st century, so many people are acting barbaric. In this country people trust an Atheist less than a religious person which is crazy! I feel we are making progress but yet I feel we are so far as nation as to where we should be. So no fair treatment for us.
On your car you can put a fish, a religious symbol and people will leave you alone. Put up an atheist sticker and your car is likely to get vandalized. Crazy World

I know slightly off topic, but depending where you live - a Democrat sticker.

@Heidi68 Luckily not, I have lived in NY, San Francisco and Atlanta, all Blue. Now when I ventured in the boonies yikes yes...

@AlexRam I have been lucky enough to live in blue areas but recently southern OK and currently western NC.... definitely yikes.

In many cases it is "why should we suffer for our religion whilst you do not!"

I think you need to put a qualifier in your statement - linking it to the USA. (and possibly a few other extremist havens.)
Where I live, when I say I am atheist, there is no stigma, merely acceptance. (and often agreement.)
I agree the USA does need to give LESS protection and more oversight to religions, because they have become a haven for tricksters.

Yeah but you live in the land of the auto da fé. You think the leopard changes its spots? Merely biding its time.

@FrayedBear More than one land.

@Petter please explain.

@FrayedBear I have lived in many lands - all tolerant and accepting of many religions - and those with none.

As the UK is a secular country discrimination is unlikely but I have noticed other more subtle manifestations.
For example I belong to a walking group and many of the members are churchgoers. To begin with everyone was equally friendly and welcoming but gradually there was an obvious withdrawal from the churchy people. I make a point of never discussing religion with anyone unless they bring up the subject but they seem to have an inbuilt sense and recognise fellow believers without directly asking them. They probably drop subtle hints and evaluate the response.
Of course the fact that I live in a small village with one church which I obviously do not attend may have a bearing 😉

You are probably seen as enemy number one - "that man who thinks that we are inferior and stupid because we believe in a fairy tale!"
But is it religion or simple xenophobia. I always maintained that British accents changed every 5 miles in order to create a "stranger danger" warning.

@missgi I have thought about it, I have a T shirt with the slogan "Atheism, A non prophet organisation" but I don't think I have the nerve to wear it.

@FrayedBear Interesting idea. Haven't heard that before. I live in a tourist area with lots of second homes and am as likely to hear an English accent as a local one so there may a dilution of the local dialect over time.

@Moravian I believe that radio and tv as well as motor transportation have broken down much of the parochialness of the accents. I made my observation 50 years ago when it was already starting to be noticed.

I fear being discriminated against if word gets out that I'm agnostic. I've sat through more than one conversation where my friends, who are still believers even though they left behind our former church, have shared their opinion of those who went agnostic or athiest after leaving the church. I haven't really thought of it on a political level but on a personal level. I already went through the shunning when I left my religion and don't want a repeat of that experience.

@missgi Totally agree. I'm working on that. I've never been very good at making new friends so it's a slow process.

Technically speaking....laws are in place already. That being said....IF the subject comes up in a situation that I’m concerned about, I simply say I’m just not religious....that usually covers me lol.

See @Larimar's response.

We have the laws (The Constitution). It applies to everyone. The problem is enforcement is up to the current administration. The problem is that even the most liberal presidents are self-proclaimed Christians. It's as much a qualifier as citizenship. So enforcement is out of the question. ....Which causes me to think (uh oh). What it would look like if a President ordered the Justice Dept. to include Atheists as victims in all Civil Right legislation. Retro active of course. For me it's a given that most believers are liars when it comes to believing in god or the bible. Only the true nut jobs believe all that crazy bull shit. How many of these people would feel free to live their own truth. Then and only then are things going to change.

And it IS far easier for ANY politician to crawl into bed with the Faithfools and reap the benefits than it is stand firmly as a Non-believer in my opinion.

Absolutely!! Atheist parent vs. alcoholic, drug abusing, religious parent? You’d think it would be an obvious choice.... nope. Atheism is so misunderstood. Like I’m out sacrificing babies. When I told my mother, she asked me not to use that word (atheist) because it’s so evil.

I am surrounded by racists, bigots, and jingoistic soldiers of God. Three days ago, I was forced to listen to a sermon by a 98-year-old pastor who no doubt campaigned for George Wallace. He rambled on and on about his missionary work in Jamaica. I counted every pause he made to stop himself from saying "nigger". He said God saved the Jamaicans from "worshiping voodoo and Bob Marley". Then he rambled on about when he went to Puerto Rico, where the people were "lazy and living off welfare".

This is a regular occurrence in my life. I don't bother trying to hide my disgust. I carry myself in such a way, though, that people know not to proselytize me.

Buxx Level 7 Apr 23, 2019

God I love voodoo and Bob Marley

Keep fighting the good fight my friend I’ll dig in deep with you anytime

When others less principled do so in your hearing they are subjecting you to unwarranted and uncalled for stress that will reduce your longevity as surely as radiation exposure will. It is also called bullying - an American trait that unfortunately has been and continues to be practiced in the name of American economic well being. I remind you of Martin Niemöller's poem:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

I believe that until we can change a lot of people's minds concerning the fact that there is nothing wrong with being atheist, there is little chance of a lot of change anytime in the near future. We've made progress, but there is still a long way to go. I just don't know if there are enough of us to persuade lawmakers, or make them feel compelled, to enact enough effective laws to make a considerable difference.

I definitely agree that atheists are discriminated against, especially with our laws government end of life decisions and with women being tied or Christian doctoring when it comes,to what we are able to do with our bodies. Our current Australian Prime Minister is a Pentecostal believer who adheres to the beliefs of “the rapture,l and does nothing about climate change because he believes the end of the world will come soon, and most likely by a climate catastrophe.

@missgi just what a country needs - a deluded leader!

@missgi He IS nothing more than a Tele evangelist!

Instead, lets scrap the laws which protect from criticism one particular political ideology which masquerades as a religion.

Never noticed anything like that all in either UK or Australia. In fact all the religious people I have had dealings with have been lovely, Christians, Buddhists, Muslim’s, Sikhs, Krsna consciousness. I have not had any interaction with Orthodox Judaism, but the most obnoxious have been those who don’t seem to have any religion. That’s my experience, don’t want to speak for anyone else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:335980
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.