Agnostic.com

7 3

We can now argue that we're more ethical since we don't get our morals from the Bible!

silvereyes 8 Nov 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, The "morals" of hte Bible might have worked in the Middle East 2000 years ago, but we as a society have progressed beyond Biblical "morality."

I consider morality from authority an abdication of responsibility. While that may appeal to some religious devotees, it was a significant reason I started looking more deeply into what I believed and why. It was so easy to believe something just because it's what I'd always known, so when faced with contradictions I had to decide whether I was going to accept the teachings of the church and the Bible, or do the hard work of critical reasoning and introspection. The supposed morality of the Bible is vile and filled with atrocities and pettiness and threats. Most Christians, thankfully, cherry pick the more positive bits from scripture, but it's all interwoven with contradictions and moral absolutes based on bronze-age values that the vast majority of theists today would find abhorrent. I neither believe in nor respect the teachings of the Bible.

I think the bible was written by men to serve their own needs and wants.

Betty Level 8 Nov 11, 2017

Most assuredly so, many of the biblical precepts to me are downright immoral.

I got some of them from the Bible; Thou shalt not murder, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's property, thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor, and my favorite, Do unto others as you would have them do onto you. There is also something in there about, if you do a good deed, do it in secret, otherwise the glory of the deed may outshine the good done by the deed. I just mention this because I believe in giving the devil his due....uhm...

I think most of mine came from Star Trek. 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.