Agnostic.com

59 4

If applicable, how did you quit smoking?

I'm ready to quit smoking but have found it more difficult than the first go-around. How did you quit and did it stick?

• 22 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 14 votes
ashortbeauty 8 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was determined. First two or three days were difficult. After getting over the withdrawal hump I kept myself busy. When I felt the urge to smoke I took deep breaths until the urge passed. It always does.

I still want a cigarette on occasion. I even dream I started smoking again and I quit seven years ago!

I quit 25 years ago and also have dreams in which I am still a smoker. I wake up in a panic.
I want to add though that when I am awake I have no desire to smoke.

When I quit the first time, I had those dreams too! I remember crying in them because I was so disappointed in myself. It hasn't happened since I stopped the second time about four years ago.

I occasionally want one at random times.

I quit for good on my 3rd attempt. First time I quit , I lasted 3 years. I quit this last time for going on 10 I think so I considerr it permanant.

I had some patches left from a previous attempt that were years out of date. My doctor had also prescribed Chantax.

I used half a patch and the chantax at the same time which is NOT safe, so I do not reccomend it. The chantax did not give me nightmares or change my behavior but they did give me dreams so vivid that I thought they were memories. When I got into arguments at work about shit that never happened, I quit using it. That was about 2 weeks in.

After that I white knuckled it with my expired patches

A young doctor, new at the clinic, took me aside when I came in for some lung problems and showed me my xray. He said,: if tyou keep smoking, this and this and this (pointing to white spots on my lungs) will be cancer."
I threw my cigarettes away and never smoked tobacco again. That was a very long time ago.I guess I was a major bitch for about three days while withdrawing . Don't remember, but my family does.

I was 40+ a day for 18 years then I tried a Vape unit and I haven't touched a cigarette since

AdieG Level 4 Mar 7, 2018

I was 40-50 per day. Ugh......

Wow! I'm glad you were able to quit.

I tried to give it up for years and years, but I was never successful - I'd go as long as two weeks, then one day I'd just ask for cigarettes in the shop without even realising I'd done it and go straight back to smoking again. Patches didn't work, nor did gum.

Vaping, meanwhile, made it possible for me to give up immediately - I bought an e-cig five years ago and, save for the occasional puff in the first couple of months, I haven't smoked since. Obviously we can't be sure yet how risky vaping is, but since we know how bad smoking is I'm willing to take my chances. I haven't been quite as successful as @BlueWave in cutting down on the nicotine though - I use the strong liquid and I vape more than I ever smoked!

Jnei Level 8 Mar 7, 2018

The first time -- a program called SmokEnders. Great program. Eight years later, I willfully and consciously CHOSE to start smoking again as a "fuck it all" method of coping with a difficult life event.

The next time, I used vaping with gradual nicotine withdrawal.

I vape occasionally with next to no nicotine.

I went back to smoking after 3 years because of the death of 2 close family members. The second death was the person who kept me from smoking after the first one. Had my then husband been a wee bit less of an asshole, I may not have smoked and may have even stay married to him.

Thanks for the input. I quit for eight years at one time too. Just walked away from them. This time oye vey!

@SherryMartin I'm sorry for your loss. 😟

Electronic cigarette and nicotine liquid. Started with the strongest concentration, and every few months reduced to the next one down. Meant I didn't inhale smoke, just nicotine, and within six months was nicotine free, and often forgetting the ecig when I was out or driving.

Pmabz Level 3 Mar 10, 2018

"It's not hard to quit - I've quit a thousand times" - Mark Twain
I'm catching to him.

GaryF Level 2 Mar 8, 2018

Cut back by time of day, not number of cigs. So no cigs before work, none until lunch, none until 2 PM, etc. I finally replaced my bedtime cigarette with an ecig, which I don't even use every day.

I might try that technique with my e-cig. I'm not particularly concerned about using it as the evidence so far suggests they're relatively safe (at least compared to real cigs), but it'd be good to crack my nicotine addiction after all these years.

I suggest trying to find an ecig that's similar to what you enjoy smoking. Find out how many mg of nicotine are in your current brand. Most of what's sold in stores is very low in nicotine content, so if you feel like you're sucking air, and it's not working, look online. I use Fling ecigs. They come in a variety of strengths and flavors, but do what works for you. I won't say that vaping is good for you because I honestly don't know, but it has to be better than inhaling tar. Also, you won't want it as often.

"I don't want a cigarette; I want to change my state."

"I don't want to want to change my state all the time; I want to be present in the present."

I saw what was really going on, and my priorities changed.

I love that! Saving to my pics

Chantix did it for me but after six months my MD wouldn't refill it. I found a authorized site online that you could get Chantix from so I stayed on it for one more year. Main reason is my ex still smoked quiting with her around was difficult.

It took a dozen tries but I did it.

I smoke 1 guilty pleasure smoke a day,,always outside on the porch. In bad weather, I don't bother having any.

I used the gum to break the smoking related habits. After I had managed, I used the patch to wean myself off the nicotine. The combination worked. I haven't smoked in 22 years.

I only smoked for about 8 years. But I switched one New Years Eve to vaping. I enjoyed vaping because it didn't have all the nasty aspects as smoking cigarettes did. No residual smells, taste or flem. I probably vaped for 4-5 years, until I decided I needed to utilize that money on better things. So I just stopped vaping, threw away everything I had to vape. It was hard, but worth it!

A cancer diagnosis cured me..and nicorette..

I'm sorry to hear that you had to fight cancer. It's harsh. I'm glad you're here with us to share. Hugs

Four years quit almost.

I switched from Camel Wides to Natural American Spirits because they are free of the ADDED addictive chemicals. So I got off those chemicals first. Then, I dropped down from full-flavor to medium, then lights, then done.

I had tried gum, pot, patches, food, herbal cigarettes, but none of it worked.

I entered a nicotine clinic (CAMH). They provided the patches for free. It took me like a couple of months and I quit. I even flew to New York City with my daughter to visit family and friends and had no urge to smoke. 6 months later I had a few problems. like my ceiling in my condo was leaking rain water. I was desperate and one thing led to another and I picked up a cigarret and started to smoke again. I am not sure if that program will take me again. They even said that it takes several tries to quit until it becomes permanent. I will try to quit again. I am smoking a lot less now. My ceiling was repaired. Actually it was more than one apt in the building with this problem. But I was the only one to formally complain to the condo board and led the fight for a water free bedroom and problem was resolved to my satisfaction but the smoking came back with a vengeance.

I went into a program in Toronto that gives you free patches. I was able to quit for 6 months. I am smoking again and it looks like I will have to go cold turkey. That was my first attempt to quit. I also have read that sometime it takes two or three attempts until you get it right. I will keep on trying until I get it right. It is such an insiduous habit, worse than drugs.

I only smoked lightly for a year or two. Still, it was hard to totally quit. I still bummed cigs when drinking in smoky bars for years (but that would be only 1 cig a week on average). Haven't even done that for decades now. No matter how you do it, do it! Not only is it unhealthy, but basically your money is supporting evil corporations.

I was given patches and gum and both were completely useless and did nothing to curb my desire for a cigarette. But I gave up smoking anyway through sheer force of will but occasionally I will have a smoke. I will forever be one cigarette away from smoking a pack a day.

Wellbutrin/Bupropion. Worked brilliantly and I wasn't even trying to quit, but it took both the pleasure of smoking and the cravings away. Worth a try. It has worked for a lot of people.

Unfortunately I'm already on that, but thank you for your input. It may help someone else 🙂

You're welcome. Wish you the best with quitting! You can do it!

I quit once by chain smoking my last pack as a teenager and moving back home the next day. Never really made sense to spend my own money on it.

Later I did but only socially and as I went back to school to pursue a degree in the sciences I figured I should take the body of evidence that says it is bad for me and stopped.

Though even now I consider it to be a rare expression of absolute freedom and I may be inclined to smoke a cigerette at a party once every other year or so.

My personal story is worthwhile because honestly, if I can quit ANYONE can! I was what seemed to be hopelessly addicted. In addition, as a physics graduate student, I lived a high stress lifestyle.

I did "behavior modification" meaning that I found a cheap paperback book that explained a detailed behavior modification program and I did it (that was back in the early '80's so now it would be an internet site or something.)

The program took several months. I wasn't even allowed to quit during the program. I had to smoke to follow the program. Eventually, it had me smoking "cesation cigarrets" which were maintained the nicotine addiction but made you sick. The idea was simple. To associate negative things with smoking. The nicotine addiction was a trivial problem compared to my hatred of cigarrets by the time I was finally allowed to actually quit.

It worked! I have not smoked nor have I wanted to smoke since the '80's. I'm now sort of an anti-smoker activist.

Seriously, If I can quit (and right as I started graduate school) ANYONE can.

All of the above! Smoked off and on for the past 35-40 years. Over the years:

Tried Wellbutrin (Zyban). Worked well but developed uncomfortable side effect - dizziness.
Tried the patch. Eventually developed a sensitivity to the glue. Made me itchy and gave me a rash.
Finally, nicotine gum did the trick, along with a little willpower.
Bottom line: You have to WANT to quit, for yourself, not for someone else, and that will help you stick with whatever method you choose. It's been 4.5 years for me. And yes, I crave a cigarette occasionally...but I know better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33682
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.