Agnostic.com

11 5

LINK What’s Really behind Evangelicals’ Climate Denial? - TheHumanist.com

BY ALL ESTIMATES, the earth has gone through five mass extinctions, all of which were the direct result of some form of cataclysmic climate change. These cataclysmic changes were mostly caused by large amounts of carbon dioxide entering the atmosphere; the only real difference were the mechanisms that brought these changes about.

zblaze 7 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What is really behind Evangelicals' climate denial? Having once been one I can answer first hand.

"He's still up there. He's still in charge and still in control." That pretty much does it unless you carry this on over into Revelation where many believe that everything has to go to hell for prophesy to be fulfilled.

one doesn't have to be a religious nutcase to have some doubts about global warming.
only the naive & truly brainwashed believe everything that govt scientists claim about global warming.

Fundamentalist Bible believers. Blind faith.

Interesting thing about Mass Extinctions bring mass bodies decaying which releases methane. That breaks down in the atmosphere into Carbon Dioxide and water.

Those radical Fundie Faithfools in their Xstian Death Cults are so eagerly awaiting the 'rapture' that they don't give a shit, all they want is to die and be with their Invisible, Imaginary God praising him/her/it for all time on their bended, subservient knees like good little slaves.

Yup! And I can't wait for them to get outta here so the rest of us have some peace and quiet.

@starwatcher-al And as a song from 'My Fair Lady' goes, Wouldn't it be Lovely.

It's an accurate assessment but takes a long time to get to the point. The relevant conclusions are about halfway through: they believe god is in control of such things so no worries, basically. And some feel that god will use climate change to chasten evildoers so you don't want to oppose that. Dominionism is bad for the environment.

But...it's so INCONVENIENT! We'll have to give up so many goodies and live like our ancestors did...in caves and nasty places like that!

UNLESS--you like the idea of the end of the world? UNLESS you imagine yourself sitting on Jesus' lap, eating popcorn while you watch all the ungodly burning in hell? What fun!

They are people that seek hearing what they want to hear such as the promise of immortality. Politicians know what to tell them about climate change.

MrDMC Level 7 Apr 26, 2019

Quote "Imagine the consequences if any significant component of the US government actually believed that the world was about to end and that its ending would be glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religious dogma, should be considered "A moral and intellectual emergency"!!!" -Dawkins

religion is the root of all evil

I disagree. I think fundamentalist, dogmatic, unthinking, unreasoning worldview's are the root of all evil. This may or may not include any particular religion, but certainly a lot of them.

FTA: Martin Luther and Saint Augustine both taught that Christians should avoid knowledge, reason, and learning. They held that such things were detrimental to belief in Christianity.

They were right. In the end, education was the undoing of my Christianity. It is therefore no surprise that many conservative evangelical Christians deem education one of the most important pillars to conquer, and why Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos is smarter than she seems in terms of getting what she wants.

Education must become our most important pillar as well—educating not only about the scientific evidence for climate change and what it will take to mitigate it, but about the wild and dangerous thinking that motivates evangelical Christians running for positions of power in our government. As Thomas Paine said, “The mind once enlightened cannot again become dark.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:337642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.