Agnostic.com

25 15

Humor

Do you enjoy "the Onion" ''s style of humor?

Timzdotcom 4 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes but I fear reality is putting them out of business. They just can't top the absurdity of this administration.

You got that right

Love it and most satire. A while back I posted a question about who "gets" satire because on FB groups I follow there are plenty of people who DON'T. I find it interesting that some people really cannot grasp satire as a form of humor. Some will get annoyed because they think it is real reporting on something really stupid, others start squawking, "FAKE NEWS!". One group I'm in, "We are Colbert Nation" a group which promotes itself as focusing on satire, had so much trouble they threatened to expel members who proclaimed satire, fake news.
I will admit that lately I sometimes have to go check a source to be sure it is NOT satire because some of the real stories are almost beyond belief.

I have had to explain jokes to so many people on FB it's frightening.

I think the ability to appreciate satire may link to intelligence.

@RavenCT Not only intelligence, but might be related to gender. Most of my immediate family, and their children, fall into the official "genius" category. My sister's daughter was even recruited out of high school by the NSA.
Yet, many of the females, including my mom and niece, don't get jokes, take everything seriously. My mom couldn't even watch normal TV shows because she'd get so upset by them and the "tragic" happenings.

I'm "female," but very male in traits, but so are the women in my family who don't get jokes. No sure what the crucial element is, but they are all very high IQ.

@Ride_Captain In my opinion , our current administration , is an unfortunate joke. Unfortunately it is also , "real."

Perhaps it is not raw intelligence that it is related to but rather good critical thinking skills. Sometimes confused with intelligence, critical thinking is not the same, although good critical thinkers are generally fairly intelligent. Highly intelligent people (high IQ) can be significantly lacking in critical thinking skills, explaining why some "smart" people will do foolish things.

From Scientific American.
"Critical thinking is a collection of cognitive skills that allow us to think rationally in a goal-orientated fashion, and a disposition to use those skills when appropriate. Critical thinkers are amiable skeptics. They are flexible thinkers who require evidence to support their beliefs and recognize fallacious attempts to persuade them. Critical thinking means overcoming all sorts of cognitive biases (e.g., hindsight bias, confirmation bias)"

[scientificamerican.com]

You may find that these traits remind you of yourself. I would venture that a majority of people who are able to think their way out of religion have good critical thinking skills. Particularly in the case of those of us raised with religion but who worked out for themselves that it doesn't fly, critical thinking was likely a big part of that process.

Not as often as I like. But have you SEEN the news!?!?! How can "the Onion" compete!! 🙂

I'm a big fan of The Onion's satire, though I haven't been paying much attention to it lately. I'm not as fond of their sister publication Clickhole, which seems too sophomoric to be funny.

What is that?

I agree with others- more than once i’ve seen a news story and thought it must be the Onion, only to be sadly disappointed that it was real life.
A similar phenomenon related to this administration - I read that Shonda Rimes, creator of Scandal, decided to end the show because people are less entertained by this world of extreme political corruption when it is now the reality.

Love the onion. It frightens me how often I see it forwarded by people in an uproar because they think it's real news. facepalms

Yes, and what Blindbird said.

I love it as I have always enjoyed satire, especially when they really come up with some great content. A lot of my own humor has been inspired by their skits over the years. That and South Park primarily.

That would be YES!

It makes me laugh so hard I cry

I'm a fan.

Gohan Level 7 Mar 7, 2018

Are you kidding? I laughed about this one for days

[theonion.com]

Yes, gently stated humor is great.

Yes!

As long as it is well done, yes.

I enjoyed some of the "traditional" columnists such as Herbert Kornfeld, Jean Teasdale and Smoove B, as well as the original T. Herman Zweibel commentaries. Maybe a relic from the days when I could pick up a paper copy in Milwaukee or Madison so I could check out the concert listings.

Friggin love it..always a good laugh..

Yes, a favorite site.

uh-huh.

Satire? Sometimes.

Yes

It has its moments

The Onion started out as satire and is readily becoming prophesy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.