Agnostic.com

15 1

POLL Is this ok? Woman Posts Her Doctor’s Pic Without His Consent To Sexualize Him

What are the "rules" here

• 17 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 3 votes
MarkiusMahamius 7 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's perfectly ok to think someone is attractive. It's less ok to take their picture without them knowing, but if you intend to only keep it for yourself, then I guess I can forgive you. If you take that picture and share it where potentially millions of people can see it? That's definitely NOT ok.

If you're at the dermatologist, I assume you have skin problems. How would you feel if he posted a picture of your skin to twitter saying, "Omg this is nasty"? I know not everyone of capable of thinking this way, but at least make an attempt.

Completely inappropriate on so many levels besides illegal.

Coda Level 4 Apr 28, 2019

I don't know if this crosses the line into sexual harassment. Maybe it does. but it's most definitely a tacky-assed thing to do, and I'd say the same thing if the guy was a custodian instead of a doctor.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 28, 2019

My firsthought... had a man done this to a woman he met while she was working... the knee jerk reaction: he would be excoriated. That same standard should apply to the woman posting a man’s picture. Yet, the knee jerk reaction from women: woohoo!

The double standards pops up other places and times.

I agree that it is inappropriate and no one should have their photo posted online without their knowledge.

I agree that it is sexual harassment and a man shouldn't have to put up with being sexualised but you Rob miss the major point here. THe dr in he article said he was fine with it because he doesn't see it as a threat. For a woman who has been sexualised without her consent she runs the risk, as @Carin below said:
"he was really not in much danger of being sexually assaulted, losing his job, having negative gossip spread about him" AND that my friend makes all the difference

@MsDemeanour from a man who has been stalked several times, I stand by my comment. The fact that he was fine with it does not give anyone permission to post that picture and sexualize him without his permission first!

I don’t give a damn whether he was in danger or not. There are way too many nutcases out there to be as cavalier about it as some appear to be.

Women who expect to be treated equally need to apply the same standards to everyone. Had the Dr. been a woman, the reaction would be different. Had the picture been a child or teenaged female, the reaction would be different.

But, no, it was a male, that didn’t mind, so it must be OK to do it without asking. Right? No! Thanks for the equality.

Did you ever stop to consider he might have gone along with it rather than increase the drama by complaining?

Aside from being a bit jealous, it does seem inappropriate and an invasion of privacy. It's nice that he has a good sense of humor about it but he might start to feel differently if strange women start showing up at his office or home, especially if he's married and with a family.

It is a private life intrusion, and as someone commented before, how about that was done to her?

The dermatologist explained it well..the reason he felt flattered by the admiration and attention was because, as a male, he'd never experienced fear from being stalked, threatened, or sexually harassed by women.
He said that you can't really compare/judge the reactions of the two genders, since their experiences are not the same.

I liked the dermatologist's reaction--not only is he pretty handsome, he's also smart & introspective. & something he said made me think again & vote "other" rather than with the majority--he was really not in much danger of being sexually assaulted, losing his job, having negative gossip spread about him, or anything else as a result of her admittedly inappropriate post.

Carin Level 8 Apr 27, 2019

I think it may violate some type of dr/patient terms, but it might be considered more harmful by which platform she posted in. This said I think the dr has to weigh in.

He thought it was okay and a chance for some sex role awareness. Harassment is in the eye of the receiver.

Not according to law. Any bystanders can report a harrassing/unsafe work environment.

Justifying a double standard? So, it would be equally OK if a man did the same to you?

How would she feel if situation was reversed

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 27, 2019

Immature at best.

Odd.

Completely inappropriate to post a photograph of someone without his/her consent.

Though legal unless the person photographed had a reasonable expectation of privacy where the photo was taken. I suspect a case for that could be made here.

It is harassment. Harmless because of his self identified male privilege, fortunately. I'm sure it didn't hurt his business, either.

1of5 Level 8 Apr 27, 2019

Yes!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:338184
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.