Agnostic.com

10 7

Beto O'Rourke releases plan to fight climate change

Bravo! This is the bold action America needs.

"O'Rourke releases plan to fight climate change with $5 trillion investment and net-zero emissions by 2050."

[cnn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First off I wonder if we will still be around by 2050 the way we are going. 2nd.*"...bill he would introduce to Congress would be funded by "changes to the tax code to ensure corporations and the wealthiest among us pay their fair share and that we finally end the tens of billions of dollars of tax breaks currently given to fossil fuel companies." This requires congress to act and good luck with that especially getting wealthy to fork over some money. 3rdly, and most importantly, Climate Change is not a problem it is simply a symptom of a far larger problem that is caused by too many of us demanding resources nature is unable to provide. Anything that does not address our overburdening population is a total lost cause.

I wish people would look past the whole environmental stuff and see that this is just a political stunt, and what happens to the environment in 30 years is of secondary concern to someone who won't be in office for more than 8 years, if at all.

is that the climate change (why did they stop calling it global warming) that is causing very bad floods & evacuations in eastern canada which were caused by one of the coldest winters in history which resulted in an incredible ice melt & ice jams?

The stopped calling it global warming because people insisted on strawman arguments like bringing in a snow ball, and then scoffing about 'warming'

@dellik ,
also, maybe, b/c hawaii had snow at the lowest levels ever recorded this yr.

@callmedubious The planet is warming, which a verified fact. That warming is starting to change the dynamics in the atmosphere. The record cold you mentioned is due to atmospheric circulation patterns changing and pulling cold arctic air farther south. Which is also causing the arctic to warm at nearly five times the rate as the rest of the planet.

@Dhiltong ,
warming or cooling, they've got all the bases covered.

I don't believe the earth has another 30 years to fix this shit. So disappointed in Beto.

What is his plane, flood every other country on the planet with drones firing missiles at any cars? 2050 is far too late anyway. By 20+ years.

We are good policy wonks, nerds and rules people but we don't know enough how to win elections. Maybe too much education and reading comes in the way.

After winning elections, you can hire tons of experts, appoint panels, commissions, committees etc. to propose and if you are still good strategy and tactics wise to get the votes needed, implement what you want. Focus on winning. Trump will win without producing a single policy document. Don't we get it?

I am tired of policies and losing. It always seems that way with democrats.

Even the Green New Deal is a concept that needs fleshing out. It would be more productive if he'd say what he accepts and rejects in the GND and why.

Both this "bold" concept (it's not really a plan so much as a statement of intent and purpose) and the GND are short on details. They are vision pieces. We need those, but we need a plan to follow, as well. I'm somewhat willing to let that flesh itself out organically, but with no political will to even agree with something in concept, I'm not optimistic.

Idiot!

zesty Level 7 Apr 29, 2019

Why sayeth thee?

@Santanaman9 A dilettante politico.

@zesty Thank you.

I'm glad to see him coming out with a sorta plan for fighting climate change. I think it would have been wise to put his proposal under the Green New Deal umbrella and identify what his saw as its first steps. We don't need a battle of the climate change plans, but a buy-in on the overall objectives and proposed first steps.
I suspect he want to show that he's an independent thinker on this but I don't think that's particularly helpful.

Cool idea

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 29, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:339169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.