Agnostic.com

7 4

To the visual artists: what's your favorite medium in which to create?

I've always enjoyed drawing/sketching, but I haven't created much art in recent years. I think my favorite medium to work in is charcoal, followed by graphite. I like the high contrast I can get with charcoal, even though it can also smear pretty easily. What is your favorite medium with which to create your art?

resserts 8 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My starting off point was with oils, then I graduated to fabrics. Fabric manipulation, dying using natural products, burning, shredding, thread art, wool felting. I use metals, wood, stone and other mediums to help me understand what I’m trying to express. Lol, Actually it’s the mediums that are manipulating me.

I like to work with acrylics, Micron pens, and colored pencils. I also like doing collages with a variety of materials, and working with fabric and beads.

acrylic, aggregates, found objects on canvas or wood...

I prefer watercolors. I use them to paint fabric and then use the piece to further embellish with stitching or drawing...I have tried water color pencils but find them to be unpredictable when you use water...they are good for certain effects, but just not a favorite...

Would love to see some of your work!

Acrylics, pastels, and I am trying to get into small watercolors as I have a very limited work space.

Very cool! I like painting, though I can't say I was ever especially good at it. And I do like working with pastels (similar to how working with charcoal is nice for blending and softening edges). I bought some watercolor supplies a while ago, but I've not yet put them to use. I really need to set aside a couple of hours each week for artistic expression. I know if I actually get back into it, I'll thoroughly enjoy it. I guess my problem has been lack stress; whenever I'm too busy with work-related things, I find myself to be less and less creative.

@resserts I'm not very good, and some of best stuff are accidents trying to fix something. I have been having trouble getting my brain to go there.

@Sticks48 Often the best art, even by the masters, is from figuring out how to make a mistake work.

@resserts It happens playing music too.

I've become quite fond of my tablet with a drawing program in it. I use a stylus that comes with it , to draw.
It's like having all media, and all sorts of brushes, pens, and special effects tips, readily available, in a portable size !

an example :

I really like that drawing a lot. At first glance, it has a rather photorealistic quality. Very cool! Most of the art (or, more accurately in most cases, design) I've made recently has been digitally created. But I don't have a graphics tablet. I really ought to get one, though, as it would help me with a variety of projects.

Clay and wood.

gater Level 7 Apr 29, 2019

I never got into sculpting much, but I enjoy seeing what people can craft from a block.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:339343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.