Agnostic.com

5 2

A little light reading

I just picked up "The Skeptics Annotated Bible", I got tired of marking up my regular bibles with questions. Has this book helped you to be justly critical and debate more intelligently?

MiguelMachado 5 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I discovered the skeptics annotated Bible several years ago online. I loved it, since I grew up being taught that the bible was the inerrant word of god. I've never had the paper version, but it would be a handy reference.

I have a copy and I have used some tidbits during discussions with theists just to emphasize the idea that they usually have no clue what's in their book. I have used it as a reference book as well and find some of the notations amusing.

Not at all, magic does not exist and the bible requires you believe in magic, therefore the bilbe is nonsense. It is time we simply stop defending our position of being atheist by referring back to a book of nonsense that relies on the existance of magic.

Stop debating and start dismissing, we are the sane ones not those that live in a world of superstision and ignorance.

It is not that I am looking for debates, I grew up in a very religious home, and at one point I did believe. I educated myself and learned that I was no loknger convinced. But that doesn't stop my family from witnessing to me regularly. So just telling them I'm an athiest isn't enough. I have to explain to them why, and part of that is showing them the unraveling that happened to religious dogma from a skeptic puont of view. I'm hoping this book helps me talk to my family better about why I lack belief. I wish talking to my family was as easy as not bringing it up, but they live breath eat Christianity and there is no way to avoid it without avoiding them. I agree how shmo down the street I'm it even going to engage because Why? But I care what my family thinks so I hopebthis book helps.

??? Why would I want to read about it, or debate it? Do you read Easter Bunny books and have arguments over them. Or Hindu books? Or the Torah?
I don't really care what people believe as long as they allow me to do the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33958
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.