Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Exploring the Historical Roots of Religious Freedom - TheHumanist.com

The entire article is good, but I included a short piece From The Article FTA: Garrison: It does appear that no one objected when the administration of Dwight D. Eisenhower put “In God We Trust” on US coins and inserted “under God” into the Pledge of Allegiance.

Waldman: Part of what made Eisenhower’s approach interesting is that he became obsessed with religiosity. He was the first president to use the term Judeo-Christian, and he was also known for saying, “Everyone should be religious, and I don’t care what the religion is.” Hence, it was an aggressive push for religiosity and a radical pluralism at the same time. I think that’s why it didn’t create a secular backlash, as it was in the context of a broadening and pluralistic approach. Also, Eisenhower and Harry Truman used religious freedom as much as religion to rally against Communism and fascism. So it wasn’t just “America is great because God favors America,” it was “America is great because we have religious freedom that the Nazis and the Communists don’t have. For the first time religious liberty became a unifying idea.

zblaze 7 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He may have gotten religion after viewing a few dead aliens in S. Florida. That could do it for some folks.

I'd welcome the opportunity.

Also seems that as science made enormous
strides; he probably felt compelled to keep
them advances under a tight "moral leash".
Thanks.
PS. I think we still deal with the legacy;
sorta like drowning people being told of a
ship in the distance,all you need do is swim
to it .This "false reality" /and false security
(confidence) is dangerous for humanity-not beneficial!

It is interesting to be reminded of Eisenhower's effort to call up religion to bolster his position. That was obviously right after WWII and interesting enough, exactly the same thing happened following the Civil War. Kind of reminds one of the old saying, "There are no atheists in a fox hole". When people are scared shitless they will reach for any rabbit's foot, four-leaf clover, lucky Voodoo doll, or prayer to Jesus to bring super natural aid to their situation. When the conflict is done and if the outcome was favorable there is a sense that one should show appreciation to the rabbit's foot, four leaf clover, lucky Voodoo doll, or prayer to Jesus for saving their butt. It's the same as football players who make gestures of crossing themselves and thanking God for helping them to score a goal. Soldiers and civilians alike feel the same way after winning a war and give religion renewed importance. Out of curiosity does anybody know if there was an upsurge in religiousness in Germany or Japan after WWII as there was in the US?

OCJoe Level 6 Apr 30, 2019

Well, speaking from familial aspect here, in WWI I had a Great Uncle who fought at Gallipoli and later on the Western Front he told everyone that in the Aust. Army the highest percentage of soldiers were Atheists, even in the trenches, BUT Military Rule/Law actually forced EVERYONE to attend Chaplain Services every Sunday and non-attendance meant punishment similar to being AWOL UNLESS you were rostered for Guard Duty or engaged in actual fighting against the enemy. He stated also, that the only 'converts during fighting, etc,' he ever met in the trenches were the Officers and a very few N.C.O's, the rest were more concerned with staying alive and dodging bullets, etc.
Both of my Uncles who fought in WWII said literally the same thing, one fought at Tobruk and later at Malta, etc, the other fought against the Japanese on the Kokoda Track and through New Guinea.

@Triphid I think religion
in the military was down played here after WWII; Alas,we in Pennsylvania,
are trying to prevent a citizen paid for "prayer" from opening the legislative sessions!!!

Sorry to hear this -- I had thought better of Eisenhower.

What, exactly, is 'religious freedom' when compared to any of the 'ordinary' freedoms that people seek?
Is it merely a 'tool' to allow a person/group/organization to IMPOSE his/her/their set/s of beliefs on everyone else at will and WITHOUT the need to take responsibilty, etc, for those actions and to suit their own ends and means?

AGREE

Exactly right!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:339754
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.