Agnostic.com

25 12

What makes a good day, at minimum?

For the past week-and-a half, I have been elevating and icing my injured foot (partially-broken toe). Meanwhile, my hiking partner Karen sends me beautiful pictures of wildflowers.

"No weight bearing for two weeks," the doctor said. "Follow up with your doctor in two weeks for a second x-ray." Will see my doctor on May 8.

No weight-bearing? Yeah, right. I live alone. Good thing I have a high tolerance for pain.

Moved through despair and feeling like a caged animal.

Wildflowers are at their peak now. I took these photos last Spring in local foothills.

"If you can't do things you love - hiking and running- what makes a good day, at minimum?" I asked myself. This helped tremendously.

For me, it's a good book and some quiet.

What about you?

LiterateHiker 9 May 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Start with the fact that you woke up and your mind works.

@Athena Word

Not having to worry about food, shelter, basic needs, or people trying to kill you.
Everything else is gravy after that.

Nice pics. Especially that last one, thanks!!!

A hammock is nice.

Coffee, just coffee! lol

I spent Friday at the beach with a very dear friend. I have found that times like that are more satisfying than any amount of money can buy.

A good day ain’t got no rain

• Paul Simon

To be still breathing when you lay your head down.

To have a reason to wake up.

Any day I wake up feeling reasonably good is a start.
Then if everything works without issue - things in the house, car, etc.
Any cat vomit is on the floor, instead of the rug - or non-existent altogether.
The hummingbirds are feeding !
I have a decent workout at the gym.

After that - all is possible !

smart to have low hurdles. when you clear them you are almost flying.

Waking up refreshed. Sun is shining. Windows are open t a fresh breeze.

THEN that first morning tea out on my screened in porch, listening to the cardinals.

Pretty much starts my day off with a smile...

A long long conversation with a friend afar that I havent talked to in awhile.

A movie that inspires me about humanity or the residence of people or one about nature.

A good book or site that teaches me something new

Listenening to one of my many play lists on you tube while doing paperwork or something I don't like to do.

when you can't walk, it is definitely limiting.

Waking up.

Since I moved into my sixties, now sixty-five, any day is a good day when I don't see grass roots above me! Living in Florida after ten years in the North Carolina I do miss the hiking, but not shoveling snow is a plus!

BillF Level 7 May 5, 2019

All days are different, what gave me joy today may not give me joy tomorrow.

Yes me too. Still wearing a boot. So annoying.

It'd be worse without it .

@Cast1es probably so. Nothing broken. May be a torn ligament by my toes.

I have been stranded in the Midwest for almost two years. My heart and feet scream for mountains, but have to contend with music and my favorite authors.

Get well soon!

Knowing that I love and I am loved.

I can't imagine being put on non-weight bearing for a broken toe.

I have fully- and I mean fully wrenched a toe sideways and just grimaced and popped it back and taped it to a neighbor for a couple of weeks.

A Good Day for me is to feel rested and flexible with little stifness.

alon Level 6 May 5, 2019

A meaningful day, its when i pay attention to must of the things thats going on in my life. Or try to do...

Getting up in the morning, eating breakfast, taking my morning meds and vitamins, and not wanting to go back to bed for a while........Better yet are the days when I resist the urge to do so....

Any day I can sit back with a cup of coffee, either alone, with friends, family, with one of my cats.
All is okay with the world.

Trump not opening his mouth.

Seriously; waking up as a functional adult.

A few years ago I was refereeing an adult soccer game on a Thursday night when a leaping player landed on my foot and broke the tip of my toe. The next day I had a youth game to referee and limped and hopped around to get through the game, and later I told my assignors I could not do my weekend games (luckily it rained and most games were cancelled). By the following Thursday the swelling had gone down and I was able to referee again. If my toe had been broken below the knuckle I doubt I would have been back on the field that soon. I hope you get back on the trail soon.

I was expecting to see 4 photos close up . Number 5 was a delightful surprise . Thank You !

@Castles

The fifth photo was posted by @linxminx, below.

Oh man, chronic back issues have me returning to this question far too often! Like you, my favorite thing in the world is hiking/walking/exploring. In order to appease both my back and my heart, I keep distance, time and terrain on my hikes moderate. Even then I’m often hobbled the next few days, but it’s always worth it!
Hope you heal fast and get out there very soon!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:342408
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.