Agnostic.com

60 9

When is it okay to say "I love you"?

Nick said "I love you" a week after we met. I was shocked. He seemed needy.

"It's too soon to talk about love," I replied. I felt pressured.

In past relationships, I waited approximately six months to a year before saying "I love you." Building trust takes time.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

60 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My wife and I courted for ten years on and off before we married, less than four months after that she died. Life is short it is better to fill it with a lot of mistakes made in haste, than play safe and make none but the mistake of emptiness.

How sad,to lose her when you should have married and had more happiness(I believe).

@Mike1947 We both got distracted, me by work and she by another man who in the end ran off and left her after only a couple of years. Yet the last couple of years we had together and the short while we were married, were blissfully happy yes. So no regrets.

@Fernapple Yes,very good memories,in my case a 27 years long marriage ended in my wife's death from lung cancer,I have many good memories, but at night before sleep, the not so good ones come to visit,so I take a 10mg Melatonin tablet most nights to sleep.

@Mike1947 Yes, P. died of a brain tumour which was undiscovered until one day she seemed to have a stroke. I was haunted by the horror of her death bed, (it was truly nasty and lasted a week) for many years in the early hours when not sleeping. It did go in time, and now only the happy things we did seem to surface, but I found that the best way to push the bad dreams away, was to keep very busy and do lots of things for other people until time and new things overwelmed them. It not new but it worked for me.

@Fernapple You do what you can to keep your sanity, in my late wife's case after two Hospitalizations,the Doctors told her "We cannot do anything more for you" (Go home and die),so she got progressively weaker and passed away 13 months after her cancer diagnosis,the twist of fate, was being told on our 26th wedding anniversary date of August 23, 2016..........

I have to say that saying you waited 6 months to a year sounds like you were holding back all that time, rather than being honest about how you felt. So, one could say you were as needy as anyone else, which is just a matter of desperation, not whether you're worthy or anything. It's not necessarily unhealthy to grab a life preserver when you're drowning, it's just a situation you both should be aware of and work with. It's not against the law to be lonely. If you can't handle meeting someone who's more than ready to start a relationship and who's willing to jump in with both feet, fine, but don't make it a crime and run into the night screaming. Of course building trust and everything takes time, but that's not the same as having the hots for someone. Just a thought. Personally I've held off getting involved with anyone for a very long time. That hasn't earned me any brownie points, and one could just as well say I haven't been willing to be open enough. Putting arbitrary time limits on how you feel and whether to express it is just another form of game playing.

However, I do agree that it takes time to know if you really love someone for who they are, not just how bad you need to be in a relationship. If you know someone hasn't gotten to know you well enough to love you, then yeah, they are at least a bit needy if not delusional or deceptive. For example, online dating sites are full of scammers who pelt unwary men and women with flowery promises of love, betting on their loneliness so's to take advantage of them.

What makes you think I hold back all the time? I prefer to be lovers and friends first, and see how the relationship develops. The only time I sat on my feelings was with Dan.

I waited 1-1/2 years with Dan because he was terrified of love and commitment. Dan had never been married nor live with a woman. I knew he would freak out if I said "I love you."

We were having fun downhill skiing, hiking and weightlifting together. I loved the guy. So after 1-1/2 years, I leveled with him. Told Dan I loved him. I was right. Instantly he pulled away.

I broke up with Dan because it was too painful for me to love a man who was incapable of loving me in return.

We continued as friends and hiking partners. Alas, Dan moved to Utah. I lost my favorite hiking and backpacking buddy.

LOL geeze so much criticism directed at hiker all because she LOGICALLY does not believe someone can love a stranger after one week. You are quite defensive of this random dude. Methinks you are a needy and love-bomber just like him, hence the defense of him. Learn the difference between infatuation/lust and love dude. Seems you struggle between differentiating between the two. Hint, love tends to stay after the honeymoon phase. 😉

@demifeministgal I can't help that you misinterpreted what I had to say, completely, but if you talk down to me and insult my intelligence again, I'll just block your rude, sarcastic self and that will be that. I have no patience for trolls.

@AlbertSchepis not a troll. Do what you want. good riddance to bad rubbish.

The right time to tell someone you love them is the instant you feel it.

When two people feel strongly for one another, love knows no time or boundaries.

I'm not going to live my life counting how many days, weeks, or months go by before I tell the man I love that I truly love him. It could be too late.

I'd rather have loved and lost than not have loved at all.

Love is worth every smile and every painful tear.

Very true.

YEP~thanks

This is bullshit. What do you call trust? Loving can happen anytime weather you just met someone or you have been together for years, and simply because you have been with someone for years and he or she "I love you", make them real. Most domestic violence is done by people we have known for decades.

@Humanlove

There is no reason to criticize me. Insulting members is against Community Guidelines.

Love is a big deal to me. It always has been.

@LiterateHiker He was unnecessarily vulgar and insulting by saying bull***t, but made a valid point.

@LiterateHiker Women seek stability and love in any relationship,especially if a family is planned.

That depends. It is only words and what do they actually mean. So many people say I love you but in the next breath call you horrible names.

@Wangobango3 Just look at all those domestic violence incidences. In one breath they tell you the love you and in another they hit you and call you names.

The rules are, there are no rules.

Thank you.

@dellik You're welcome.

yes there has to be a comfort level and on going affection for quite a while to make sure the chemistry is accurate,,i agree saying it too soon scares the other person and may cause a break off of the relationship,,so best to take it eay and enjoy life,,the right moment will come along in the future

So kind of like an impulse control thing? Not being able to control expressing things at appropriate times?

Yes. You get carried away in the heat of the moment and you engaged your mouth before consulting your brain. Yes impulse.

I also think that love takes time. And certainly more than one week! It would be nice to hear what particular thing he loves..."I love your smile", "I love your sense of humor", "I love the way you handle disappointment"....particulars. If he says it again....maybe you can see what it is and if he can define it. Somehow that would be more of a buildup of getting to know you as the person you are and if your feelings are mutual or heading in the same direction! I find it odd when people throw that word around so casually.

Yes it seems strange to me to get attached and bond to strangers so easily and quickly. Like is that a common thing for people??

@demifeministgal Good question...I certainly find myself in the category of 'cautious' in this area. I am friendly but not THAT friendly...ha ha. Some people share so much about themselves, for example, things that would probably take months for me to share.

it's all very complicated, but usually it's right after pancakes.

Ooooooh. Pancakes.

Depends on what you mean by love. In the context of a relationship it can be dicey. I would explore why he said it. Use it as a way to talk about your relationship and were it is and were you are both looking to have it go. I find the idea of being threatened by it interesting. I get it I do and am in no way judging your response. Outside your specific situation which I know nothing about I think love means many things to many people. I mean can you take it as simply a sign of affection and a sign your relationship is growing? If you talk to him perhaps you will learn why he may feel needy. I think what you are both looking for is an important consideration. If you ask him about it and are honest about your reaction it may help either strengthen your relationship or end it before it gets deeper and more traumatic if it did end. Honesty is hard on all sides. But if he really values you as a person and partner he will listen and understand. If he reacts badly perhaps you will dodge a bullet as it were?

Quarm Level 6 May 7, 2019

@Quarm

I dodged a bullet. Every single day, Nick dropped by hungry without calling first.

He prowled in the kitchen, looking for something to eat. Raised to be a good hostess, I made him a protein smoothie or fed him dinner. Suddenly I was cooking for two. This was a big imposition.

"You are a great cook!" Nick said. He insisted he knew how to cook. But when he promised to make dinner, he brought fast food that I don't eat.

"When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time," Maya Angelou said.

After 2-3 weeks, I dumped Nick because of serious problems with sex and communication.

@LiterateHiker I am glad. Love for him means dependency and a complete lack of boundaries. At the end of the day you gotta be honest, anything else just makes things messier and messier.

It seems that men often use it as a lever. A week is way too soon. Love needs to be demonstrated before it is spoken.

@RileyStevens

Exactly.

As we say in our neck of woods, don't follow the lips, follow the feet.

"I love you" shouldn't mean "I think we need to be together forever"...

Exactly.

Why would there be a 'time' love is a feeling. honesty is important, saying it without feeling it wold be dishonest, not saying it while feeling it would be too.

a week, a month, seems right.. honestly waiting 6 months to a year is strange to me. if love hasnt bloomed in that long, welcome to the friend zone, Ive moved on to someone that understands their needs.

@delik

To each, his own.

I waited 1-1/2 years with Dan because he was terrified of love and commitment. He had never been married nor live with a woman. I knew he would freak out if I said "I love you."

We were having so much FUN: downhill skiing, hiking and weightlifting together. I loved the guy. So after 1-1/2 years, I leveled with him. Told Dan I loved him. I was right. Instantly he pulled away.

I broke up with Dan because it was too painful for me to love a man who was incapable of loving me in return.

We continued as friends and hiking partners. Alas, Dan moved to Utah. I lost my best hiking buddy and backpacking companion.

You have to feel it to say it...there is no time limit...

I trusted the man I love very quickly so it was easy for me to say I love you in a short time...

That sounds like love bombing to me. I had an ex that started talking about our future and if we were to be exclusive and about the future after just 1 date. It seemed bizarre then, but he was using it as a manipulative tool since he was a narc. Now I would be leery of any man that professed seriousness so soon. 😳

It's too soon for you but it wasnt for him. You have different backgrounds and experiences. It doesnt mean he is needy . And it doesnt obligate you to say anything.

IMO, way to soon! After one Week of having met. I agree with the needy assessment and not sure I could ever trust the person. Unstable comes to mind.

my thought is that it doesn't run on anyone's calendar or schedule. this is an impossible question. there is no time-related answer. when you feel it and are not afraid to say it, that's when.

g

Yes, totally agree. There is no need to say anything like that when you are just getting to know each other and barely got a start on that just after a week. One must actually like someone first before even thinking about taking it to the next level.

When you really mean it.

Jnei Level 8 May 7, 2019

Must have been 'love at first sight'........

Love is a good thing. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I proposed marriage after one week.

She said, "But, I don't know if I love you."

"It will grow," I said.

"You need to talk about this to my mom," she said.

We've been married quite happily for more years than anyone in the family wants to remember because of how old it makes them feel.

So, in answer to your question: It depends on the people involved.

I don't set any time limit on when I say it, however I do want to know the person before I do. Getting to know someone does take some time... more than a week, however if someone told me that they loved me after only a week it would not bother me.

Not letting things progress at their own pace seems a bit like fishing for reciprocation, but it would probably be preferable, at least from my perspective, to qualify these feelings instead by saying things like, "I love spending time with you, I love your take on the world, I love your personality, etc."

At this early stage, "I love you," seems to involve more questions than one might have later in the relationship. It's also an unfortunate reality that dating and partnering often pressures some people to try to "close the deal" as it were, out of fear the person they desire and have strong feelings for might "get away."

That being said, I remember someone once pointing out, "emotions are neither good nor bad, they just are."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.