Agnostic.com

51 40

Look what I got today! Sexy, huh?

"It takes six weeks for a fractured bone to heal," my doctor said today. My toe feels much better stabilized.

New foot x-rays today. Waiting for the radiologist report. Pending appointment with a podiatrist. Like most Americans, I hate waiting.

Doctor wants to do a bone density scan to make sure I don't have osteoporosis like my grandmother. I'm thin, another risk.

The last bone density scan I had was in 1998. My bones were strong from hiking and weightlifting since age 21.

"That was in the last century!" she said. Twenty years ago.

So much for hiking. I'm benched until July. That reminds me:

I can lift weights for the upper body from a seated position and lying on a bench. Also do abdominal exercises. With the machines: calf raises, calf crunches, one-leg presses, etc.

I'll stay strong.

To safely walk downstairs in this slippery boot, I sidestep holding the railing with both hands.

Just got my old REI soft knapsack with shoulder straps from storage. Will use it to carry things up and down.

The French conquered the Pyrenees carrying knapsacks with just a loaf of bread and salami.

LiterateHiker 9 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Go go gadget foot.

Fast recovery!!

Feet take a long time to heal. Best wishes. I was laid up after major foot surgery for months but I'm back running.

ADKSparky

Is that a cast? How did you shower?

@LiterateHiker I bought a special rubber boot device that went over the cast. It was tight around my calf above the cast. Then I pumped the air out of the boot which made a vacuum seal so no water could get in. The first shower was delightful. 😃

Robo foot! Get better soon 🙂

Generally speaking, shouldn't there be skin involved in "sexy"?

They just did surgery on my foot. They broke a bone, moved some stuff around, fused a joint and put in 3 screws and a spacer. I did not get the fun boot. I have a boatload of ace bandage and a surgical shoe, which is basically a flat surface and a bit of velcro.
I'm jealous of the boot. It's taken me a week to just be able to hobble around the house.

19 years ago I broke left leg by falling off of a roof. Annette found me a calcium supplement "Bone Up", really, that's the name. When the x-rays were taken 3 months later there were no sign of any cracks even tho 2 of them were about an 1/8 inch wide. The Dr. said "I don't know what you're doing but get out of here" . I believe the extra calcium and keeping blood flowing by working the leg helped to heal the breaks so fast.

@starwatcher-al

Amazing.

My doctor told me to stop taking calcium because it increases heart attacks and strokes in women.

@LiterateHiker I do not take it regurley at all, just when the leg
was broken.

That's tough but July isn't too far away.

Power Laces. Allright!

@MakeItGood

What do you mean? I don't understand your comment.

@LiterateHiker Back to the Future II reference?

@LiterateHiker

It's hard to drive with this boot! It's too big and clumsy.

The bottom of this boot is slippery. Dangerous.

You probably know this, but I found out the hard way -- those boots are very slick when they get wet. Put something like strips of tape on the bottom and be careful! This too will pass.

@adyprof70

Thanks for telling me. I didn't know that.

Way to keep your spirits given your setback.

@t1nick

Thank you! One needs to keep a sense of humor under duress.

@LiterateHiker I agree. Hang in there.

Hi K, recommend bone broth and chewing on ribs will give you important bone ingredients.

@Healthydoc70

Two days ago, I made a big pot of chicken bone broth. Strained; then chilled it overnight. (After roasting chicken breasts, I freeze the bones.)

The next day, I skimmed off fat and made a big pot of Chicken Vegetable Soup.

Continue Healing Pronto My Friend.

I had somewhat the same experience last year recovering from a completely torn quadriceps tendon. I still can't do heavy leg work. Hang in there and be patient. You have the rest of your life.

I believe with your good health that you will heal in no time. Just please be patient and follow the doctor's advice.

Wishing you uncomplicated recovery,,sending you healing hugs Just remember when your hoping around,,your little toe is there to find furniture for you whether in a cast or not 🙂

ouch!

Sexy!! Speedy recover@literatehiker.

Cool boot! Bet is slows down your marathon times! Take care and heal, the human body is amazing in it's resilience.

Don't eat salads for a few months. Eat a lot protein and wash it down with some good wine. Some company on Friday evenings will be good too.

@Tiramisu

For the past two weeks, I laid on the couch, reading, with my foot elevated and iced. Lost two pounds. When I feel unhappy, my appetite decreases.

I don't drink alcohol because it dehydrates me and gives me a headache.

Can you do something in place of hiking in the interim since you love being active? Like water aerobics or lifting weights?

@demifeministgal

I can lift weights for the upper body from a seated position. Also do abdominal exercises. With the machines: calf raises, calf crunches, one leg presses, etc.

I'll stay strong.

Hope you heal quickly!

Don't worry honey y you will get better and I bet your bones won't be too frail

@Bobwjr

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Bummer. I hope you repair quickly!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:343841
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.