Agnostic.com

44 11

What is the "incel" movement all about?

This is a serious question, and I'm not looking to start a flame war: what is the "incel" (involuntarily celibate) movement about, and why does it exist?

The first time I heard this term, I thought it was used by others as an insult for men who weren't "man enough" to get sex (sort of how "cuck" has been used in recent years for weakness and acquiescence in the political realm), but then I quickly discovered that it was being used self-referentially. That, however, seems to me to be a very odd position: embracing a victimhood mentality, accepting a label of weakness, assuming insecurity as a form of self-identification. But my impression is that these self-proclaimed incels consider themselves as masculine, tough, and confident men, so what gives?

Do we have any men on this site who consider themselves to be incels? If so, can you please explain why you identify as such — not just that you're not getting laid, but why you embrace that as your identity? And can you explain what the incel movement is trying to achieve? I'm genuinely in the dark on this, and what I've found so far in my reading has been confusing and seemingly muddled or contradictory.

I'm also curious, as there are a lot of men who find love and/or have satisfying sex lives who are at every extreme: extraverts, introverts, very tall, very short, heavy, skinny, rough, effete, hirsute, smooth, erudite, undereducated, conservative, liberal, religious, secular, ambitious, lazy, creative, analytical, etc. It's certainly possible for people from all walks of life to find love and obtain sex, made clear just from observing the world around us, so what's the thinking about why the incels are unsuccessful and upset by their plight? In a world of hookup apps and dating sites and online interest communities and long-distance travel capabilities, there's never been an easier time to find compatibility or at least a fling. So why is this incel movement growing now?

Thanks to anyone who has insight into what's truly driving this movement, what it stands for, the mental state of these men, etc.

resserts 8 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wikipedia has a great article on the subject.

Miserable people isolate themselves

bobwjr Level 10 May 10, 2019

According to the Wikipedia article there are a number of female incel web sites and there is some controversy over whether there are more women incels than men.

Screaming and yelling and demonizing these incels and banishing them from society will do nothing but radicalize them further.

I like Natalie Wynn’s treatment of the topic:

Great breakdown of incels

INCEL- A dude who is too ugly and socially awkward to get laid at some form of social gathering and too lazy to go out and get a job to earn money to pay for it.

That used to be the description of nerds. 🙂

@1of5

Same thing.

From what my 28yr old son has explained to me, many incel is men who believe that women absolutely hate men. In otherwords, if it wasn't for feminist, they would be able to get laid. Because of the "me too" movement, women believe they are better than men, and because of that, men can't be sexist towards them (which the men believe is the normal).

Now, I have no idea if this is correct in all cases, but this is how my son sees the movement.

Another label that divides and separates people even further. Don’t know why we buy into this nonsense.

Dead end

bobwjr Level 10 May 11, 2019

I wonder if that incel thing is not simply a wrong answer to a good question. I wonder if incels are highly obsessed with traditionnal sexual stereotypes, narrow stereotypes about what a real man and what a real woman should be like. Incels might feel frustrated and unattractive because they don't match with these stereotypes.

More like little boys who have had their mothers say yes to them all their lives but when a real women says no they throw their toys out of their prams

From what I've read and heard about them, they go way beyond simply being obsessed with stereotypes. Many of not most of them sound clearly disturbed. They love to talk about violence against women and to egg each other on. I find their attitudes and behavior deplorable. It's just bullshit to blame women for their own failures, and to feel they are entitled to sex regardless of their behavior or attitudes. They are screwed-up people though, clearly. Perhaps some professional help can turn some of them around.

“Involuntary celibate” - A movement by people that are unable to have sex to somehow force others to have sex with them. Something like that. I don’t know as I’m not an incel. Hopefully an incel can chime with a better definition.

celebrities?

@greyeyed123 Oops. Must have been auto correct.

I have no idea what you are talking about. That happens to me often today in this world of constant texting and sudden invention of new words and terms. I'm still trying to get acquainted with the old words and terms with limited success.

Incel/Veganism, etc, etc, imho are just the newish 'trends' trying to change the human race into their own images/ideologies. i.e. a possibly new-age terrorism/fascism under a very, very thin veneer of caring, kindness, sweetness, etc, etc.
Somewhat similar to the ' Australian Activists for Indigenous Australians' who are little more than, imho, Europeans who see a great source of income and Media Exposure by exploiting others.

It is worth noting that below, I linked to three news articles and a Youtube video because I am afraid of discussing my personal experience. I am specifically afraid of any stigma and backlash that may result, real or perceived.

Buxx Level 7 May 11, 2019

The woman who founded the 'incel' movement [bbc.com]

How ‘Incel’ Got Hijacked: What started as an empathetic term became a rallying point for violent men. [politico.com]

Patriarchy, Pop Culture, And The Taboo Of Adult Male Virginity [theestablishment.co]

So some guys decide to be celibate for some reason or other. That’s their decision and there’s no need to demonize them. Lots of women make that same decision.

I expect most of ‘em will backslide anyway.

It’s not a decision to be celibate. The “in” in “incel” is “involuntary”.

These are not guys just 'deciding' to be celibate. They are violently blaming women for their lack of sexual exploitations. A BIG difference.

MaKing me nervous, lol

Not familiar with "incel".

[en.wikipedia.org]
They’re a fucked up lot

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@Green_eyes Interesting. A group of guys that can't get laid. Do they have meetings, rallies, and t-shirts? GEEZ! Thanks.

@MsAl Thanks

@Sticks48 it’s called a trump rally

@MsAl, @Green_eyes I will bet they are a charismatic bunch. They probably have a drawer full of pocket protectors they no longer use, live with their mothers, or both.

@Green_eyes boom!

@Green_eyes ROFLMAO!

@Green_eyes So they meet and have a giant circle jerk.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:344686
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.