Agnostic.com

41 10

Has anyone else had to cut ultra religious family out of their lives?

I had to see my father for the first time in years because of a funeral. I didnt speak to him or indicate I was open to him speaking to me.

He refuses to accept my lack of religion, and I certainly don't will never accept his politics.

Anyone else had to disassociate with family over religion?

tmonsta 5 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I moved three states away for a reason. I'm still cordial and polite and treat them as I would want to be but it's at a distance and on my terms. Sometimes you have to remember to protect yourself, your sanity, and most of all, your peace of mind. They aren't worth living rent free in my head.

No, but she cut me out, lol.

Yup :-/
So sad.

djs64 Level 7 May 10, 2019

No. Family is Family.

I have some that refuse to talk to me but I'm always willing to argue my point of view. After losing debates most are unwilling to open that door again.I have some extremely religious friends and family but few have let it come between our bonds as people. We all know the other people are good despise our differences in beliefs so I've been pretty lucky in that regard.

i never had religious relatives or at least not since the great-grandparents died, after which we were raised secular jewish. i do have a niece who has been brainwashed not to talk to me (nothing to do with religion) who married not just a nonjew but a christian missionary. so now she teaches sunday school and participates in the brainwashing of small children. i don't know how this happened to her. she was always a smart, loving child. i don't know how her mother, my sister, feels about that, since she, my sister, is the one who taught her not to communicate with me. (she has turned some friends against me too.) as i say, that part has nothing to do with religion. so no, your experience is not mine, and i am sorry that it has happened to you. it shouldn't happen to anyone.

g

No

bobwjr Level 10 May 10, 2019

Just ignore them

Sure, but my conservative, GOP family members don't notice, or care. Their minds can't be changed so I just avoid the subject when I'm around them.

It takes two and there's quite a lot that we don't know. If I cut someone out of my life because of their faith I'd be as much a loser as them if they did it to me. But we don't know your full story - we only know your version - you're father would quite likely have another.

Yes and it's such a family tragedy and not how Christians are taught to behave!!!

I've always thought that agnostics and atheists have it going on with no quick to judge others and not.much gossip. W

Au Contraire when I think back to people who have verbally and deliberately tried to hurt/embarrass me it has always been evangelic Christians no exceptions.

Sadly, it has approached this. My parents, though not terribly over-the-top Catholics, are still religious enough to fully support my sister’s evangelical, science-denying Christian insanity, and expect me to sit back and smile as my niece is brainwashed. Not a single one of them has the capacity to step back and put themselves in my position. They say things that, when combined with my pre-existing depression, make me either want to cut my wrists, or purchase a gun for the purpose of suicide. It is unspeakably isolating. It is like crossing the desert to attempt to type a few words as a reply to any of their messages. I feel the “cutting off,” however that is defined, is well in progress.

palex Level 6 May 11, 2019

I don't...however some of them have. That's on them and I don't mind

...it will take years/be patient with them;
yourself;society;and the process.The
family I was close to, hurt the most, to interact with.At
"public events" they have an image-so do
you .I saw others who stood by their beliefs,
and we supported each other.To keep
communication lines open with some is
and will be difficult. A closed mind ,whether
parent or sibling is like an addict.Protect
yourself from undo influence.People can
change-be prepared for slow or no change.
Good post/thanks

No, I find it very strange to hear how religion divides families in this way.
I'm drawn to American social media because of the strong religious values that I oppose, but to hear someone cut out their parents and children seems extreme to me.

In 1994 there were 58 national academies of science that warned that the world that population growth was out of control.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:344687
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.