Agnostic.com

15 0

Do you agree with the holistic approach to medicine?

Marine 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it is getting out of hand when 70 universities are given $200,000,000 to study their approach. To tell a person with cancer they can will it away is criminal or any other diseases for that matter. I am sure some of these methods do work but there are to many quacks doing this approach and killing people as a result.

The Doctrine of DNA by Richard Lewontin is worth reading

I would say that's a good thing so long as the results are given to the public and positive findings shielded from patent infringements

I can agree to a point. If a holistic treatment can be proven by an impartial source to be more effective than pharmacuticals, then I think it should be given a fair shake. If medical marijuana was more readily available to me I would like to see how it compares to the anti-convulsants I take now.

Paul , Silvereyes these are not the accepted practices rather people who are stating that they can use their minds to cure very serious disease and that throwing their feces after burning into the air. I call these people quacks using holistic titles. Some of the methods used are just rediculas, such as drinking so much water in a day it becomes toxic. Some of the other methods like drinking various drinks that have not been proven to work in lieu of regular doctors I find dangerious.

I believe in an evidence-based approach to medicine, as everything else.

Here's my own evidence CBD oil (without THC)
has gotten rid of my seizures since last November.
I experienced terrible side effects with meds.
My primary doctor is very open-minded and supportive with holistic alternatives. She's teaching me about essential oils now.

Good for you but my neighbor has lossed the use of his hand using a holistic alternative. They need to be regulated like normal medicine is.

Sadly no. It's an attempt to mix real science based medicine with not science based medicine. It's an attempt to degrade the standard of care. I'm not saying all the other stuff doesn't work, but it should only be integrated after it's been treated scientifically. Sadly a lot of it has been treated and been showed to not work, but it doesn't stop advocates.

JeffB Level 6 Mar 9, 2018

Not in its entirety, but in general, yes.

My primary care physician supports it when I want it.

If it works, it works

Holistic medicine does not discount the use of pharmaceuticals. It recognizes that the body is a connected system and if one part of a system is broken other parts are impacted. If it's used in tandem with proper medication then it can be very effective.

I agree that when a natural cure is avaialbe it is pregerable, all things being equal, but I think mos tpeople, includign myself would go for the BEST cure, naural or not.

some ideas are good but alot of the lotions and potions are just marketing. preventive care of oneself has to help a bit

Yes and no Some herbs can be toxic if overused so people that are not educated on the hazards should not be indulging. I have heard that wormwood soaked in alcohol is an hallucinogen never tried to find out. The pharmaceutical companies just want to make money so they will have the doctors prescribe anything that they can even giving doctors financial incentives. There is no happy medium because the FDA does not recognize herbs as madisional and because the pharmaceutical are so established they just blow off the holistic approach as unrecognized solutions. Not to totally put pharmaceutical in the burn pit some medicine is necessary however there are many out there that turn out to be worse than the original problem.

Natural has become a selling point with no evidence behind it. It's a magic word. Just because it is natural doesn't make it better than man made. Nature will kill you as quickly as anything else. While the idea of holistic medicine is not bad, in it's meaning of looking a whole systems as well as the immediate need, it has been hijacked to mean anything not science based. Definitely a bad idea. The cool thing is we study everything. The things that are proven become medicine. Things that are not proven get their cost jacked up and are called alternative medicine.

Yes, in theory. A good lifestyle will help you stay well.

You would need to define what you mean by that. I believe in medical approaches that have been shown to actually work.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34584
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.