Agnostic.com

62 9

Would you avoid naming your child a name with religious connotations?

I don't have children, but there are many times I'm writing a story and I use baby names to help me come up with good names. Sometimes there are names with religious connotations, so I got to thinking... would you avoid them? Do name meanings matter?

• 45 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 32 votes
  • 26 votes
silvereyes 8 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

62 comments (51 - 62)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Along those lines, I think it's really interesting that the name Jesús is very common in Spanish- speaking countries, but, at least to my knowledge, is almost never given to children by English speakers (at least not by christians). I've even know or known of at least three women named Jesús-- not Maria de Jesús, which is common enough -- just Jesús.
A look at any list of arrests and detentions shows that it certainly doesn't keep people out of trouble.
Another interesting point is that "It is estimated that more than 150 million men and boys in the world bear the name Muhammad." [Wikipedia] It is also one of the most popular baby names in regions of growing muslim communities in Western countries.

About 1 in 26 Men were named Jesus/Joshua in antiquity. Jesus is just a variant of the Name Joshua.

Part sound, part meaning. Leaning towards meaning. Anything but a Christian name.

My name is Ian from the Scottish form of John, which is a Christian meaning of Gift from God or somesuch nonsense. I'm not keen on it's association with John the Baptist etc. I think I actually prefer that it leans towards the Celtic rather than Anglicized form. I wouldn't name any of my kids after that pesky Judaeo-Xtian malarkey. Bleh!

On the other hand, I suspect that I was named after my father's secret gay lover....but maybe not. He did have an old friend named "Arnie" that none of us ever met.

Honestly I don't see religion as a Plague. I never named my kids based on being a bible name... even though some names did appeared in the bible in some form. Let it be bible or popol-vuh... It is being ignored by me.

Kinda hard to avoid that unless you make one up. I'm David and it's a VERY old testament name.

So I'll preface this by saying I'm trying my hardest to never have children ever, so bear with me on that point. That being said, if I did happen to have a kid, I would want to name them after things that are significant to me and my life (or my parter and hers), and totally disregard whether it was a religious name or not. Example: Were I to have a girl, I would name her Alice Liddell, after the character from American McGee's Alice, because that game is awesome.

My children have been named after wonderful family members and strong people in history . I don't attach many names as having only religious connotations, more historical.

Yes! I would never name a son Mary.

Some times is imposible....specially if the the first part of last name is "Saint"

What suits them to be quite honest

Daughters... Leah Kelly... Marina Ivonne... Alexandra Rachel... Son... Oscar Isidro...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:34606
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.