Agnostic.com

19 0

If given the choice, would you want to live forever?

There are many studies that are attempting to figure out how to reverse the aging process. We've developed gene editing technology that could possibly improve the longevity of our lives by eradicating hereditary diseases.

Given how the world is now and what it is expected to be like in the future (although it could obviously change), would you want to live forever if technology was developed for that to be possible? If so, why? If not, why not?

Caitycat 4 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why not. I have no other plans.

I'd love to live forever, if just to see all the changes that take place. Also, I'd be able to travel to planets in other solar systems, and galaxies!

Yep, I sure would. I'd love to stick around to see where this all goes...sentient robots, colonizing other planets, live on the moon a bit, be a citizen of Asgardia, etc. Count me IN!

I think a healthful lifespan of 200 or 300 years might be nice to have. Beyond that, it’s time to move out of the way.

No way, there would not be anything to stick around for. Humans are horrible for the most part.

No. I’m 58, didn’t expect to live this long.
Maybe if I was 25 and in good health, it would be easier to want to go on longer. As I am now, nah.

i flounder with this all the time. i'm sure my mental illness does not help with a definitive mission. as an atheist, i know that this is my one shot to be important. i know that i have not been important yet, therefore i would like more time - maybe all the time. i also believe that i will never be important, and am just sucking up resources from the importance and it's probably best if i just get out of life to allow something meaningful to blossom.

I can see your dilemma. Well, if it's worth anything to you, I think every person is important in their own way.

No. As a procrastinator, I work/play better with a deadline.

Yes, but only if I had the option of killing myself if I wanted to.

Life, the universe, the phenomenal world - they're all so big and limitless. So much to experience, to explore.

Generally, i find the human race, or at least who end up in charge, to be very disappointing. Based on that I do not think living forever is all that appealing.

If the people who ended up in charge were mostly altruistic, it might be worth sticking around.

I just read a survey that said: "percentage of Americans aged 18 - 34 who say they'd like to live forever: 24. Of Americans over 55: 13." I'm in the second group but not part of the 13%.

Sure, with some requirements: 1. if I could pick and choose who comes along with me
2. I get to get a ballpark of age/condition
and if I could check out at will.

No, no, no. I would bet awfully bored after I had red all the books, seen all the movies etc, etc.

Nope!

Why not?

Hell No.This place sucks.

There are a few things I could think of that would be a boon from this imagined possibility: crippling illnesses would likely be eliminated, and the concept of regret for things you've never done would likely be eliminated.

Of course. When the alternative is a lacking consciousness for the rest of eternity, to me, there is is no answer but yes.

At age 35.

Become a believer and live forever! [ or so the story goes ? ]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:346335
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.